Independence - how would you vote?

Wee Bully

Independence - how would you vote  

1,135 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 32k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why wouldn't they? Where would they build ships? Portsmouth? Furthermore, Scotland will need ships. And some of those type 26 ships, which we are paying for, will help.

Finally, im surprised that you think it is acceptable to point a gun at people and tell them which way to vote.

Yes of course Portsmouth.

In the unlikely event of Scotland doing the dirty on the UK,then of course the UK will build our boats and not the deserters of Scotland.

stop telling posters who to post to Salmond boy,you're really not all that.

Probably not but I don't expect Tanzania to give us shipbuilding work either. The issue at hand here is (and let's assume post indy there will be no work) people here have been given employment that will, under your own admission, possibly cease if they vote a certain way next year, and wont if they don't. Whereas in another part of the UK, not looking to secede the axe has fallen.This is Westminster handing out a carrot to those workers with one hand and holding an almighty stick over them in the other. Do you still fail to see the issue here?

I would hope Scotland goes for the none of the assets, none of the debt option. We would need a small defensive naval force. Building that could occupy those yards for some time. We would also need to embark on various other spending projects which would kick start our economy as we would build up the assets we would require as an independent country.

Someone's got to lay those golden slabs on the pathways.

Should be plenty of jobs for Norwegian teachers.

Off the top of me head.

TNS stopped me on Princes St ages ago and offered us a fiver for a two minute poll. Asked my age and other demographic questions and then asked if I could actually be in my early thirties and an unskilled professional because they'd already filled my quota.

I'm not too fussed what TNS have to say.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/scottish-independence-47-support-union-poll-1-3177800

New poll

Yes - 29

No - 47

Don't know - 24

9% swing needed for the yes campaign now. Unless they can convince the entire 24% to vote yes, then they need to make inroads into the no campaign.

Good to read.

Happy to see the English hater hasn't managed in his quest to create divide within the Union.

Scottish people simply do not want to leave the British family,they understand and feel it.

Same people,same island/s,it really is important.

The only thing that is a complete certainty to gain Yes votes is when right-wing England and Wales start getting really engaged in the debate closer to the time. Once the middle Englanders xenophobia is in full swing, those who are less interested now will look to facts on why the naysayers are talking shite.

Scottish people seem to love a bit of self-deprication and doubt but don't like being put down in the same way by others :lol:

Challenge now is to gain any momentum possible. The more arses flapping, the better quality of mudslinging, lies and vote-winning insults we'll get from around next Summer.

So that poll is telling is less than 50% of people are in favour of remaining within the union

Interesting

Makes sense now with the unionists lies and scare tactics, with such a large % undecided they obviously know they have nothing to offer them to vote No

The thing to remember about shipbuilding on the Clyde is this: BAE are a commercial company. The MoD asked them to reduce thier overheads in order to win the T26 contract, they did so by rationalising thier shipbuilding sector into the equivalent of one complex ship yard. Looking a tthier own overheads, they deicded that keeping Scotstoun as the main yard made the most sense. The rUK can turn around in 2016 and demand that the T26 be built in Portsmouth if they like, but equally BAE can tell them to ram it, they are after all, the only game in town.

The thing to remember about shipbuilding on the Clyde is this: BAE are a commercial company. The MoD asked them to reduce thier overheads in order to win the T26 contract, they did so by rationalising thier shipbuilding sector into the equivalent of one complex ship yard. Looking a tthier own overheads, they deicded that keeping Scotstoun as the main yard made the most sense. The rUK can turn around in 2016 and demand that the T26 be built in Portsmouth if they like, but equally BAE can tell them to ram it, they are after all, the only game in town.

Yeah, BAE can tell them to ram it then go bust. Makes perfect sense!!

BAE rely on government money to stay in business, I think the government might survive without a new dinghy or two.

Yeah, BAE can tell them to ram it then go bust. Makes perfect sense!!

BAE rely on government money to stay in business, I think the government might survive without a new dinghy or two.

Dont think so, the t26 is intended to make yp the bulk of the rn surface fleet. They need those ships and bae are the only ones with the timelines to build them without the rn losing iperatuonal capability. Now, they could insist on Portsmouth and BAE could similarly insist on the rUK government meeting the costs of re-establishing the portsmouth yard and meeting Clyde redundancies. BAE are the only shipbuilder the rUK have and the clyde are the only yard BAE have for the job.

So what's happening here then?

A yes vote will put the whole ship building industry in Scotland in jeopardy ?

Not good.

I don't think it will. BAE systems are the only British commerical concern building warships. Their only functional yard is going to be on the Clyde. Exactly how will the Uk government strong arm BAE into moving production down south after a Yes vote?

The only thing that is a complete certainty to gain Yes votes is when right-wing England and Wales start getting really engaged in the debate closer to the time. Once the middle Englanders xenophobia is in full swing, those who are less interested now will look to facts on why the naysayers are talking shite.

I wouldn't be too sure of this. Plenty of Unionists in Scotland endorse anti-Scottish racism.

Archived