Independence - how would you vote?

Wee Bully

Independence - how would you vote  

1,135 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 32k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is this real? Or parody?

Almost nobody bothers to reply to him, and most people have him on ignore. I recommend you don't quote him.

No.

In what way? The whole economy is set up for the south of England. Westminster has all the say, and no account is taken of Scotland's needs or situation. Seems to me that this is what you are encouraging.

Post independence, we're going to be using the pound for at least the first five years.

That'll go down well. It would take years, what do we do in the interim?

Yep, I'm in favour of joining the Euro, but I believe its a 5 year minimum before we're allowed to join, even if we wanted to. What are we going to do till then? Barter?

I would rather see them make plans for our own currency or try and join the euro.

Surely starting our own currency brings even more uncertainty to the fore? As stated the Euro would be 5 years down the line. The pound is the best option, whichever way we need to use it.

I find it odd that all these people claim to want independence but are too scared to start a currency that doesn't rely on England.

Personally I'm in favour of a Scottish currency IFF independence is won

It really is a different issue than independence alone.

It's madness to suggest that on day one of independence Scotland should invent a new currency. Perhaps over long term it may be more achievable.

So?

It's the treasury that matters and being cynical whatever policy polls best in England before the next GE.

The best policy for rUK should we vote yes will be the one that delivers the least barriers to trade. ie sterling zone. A man far wiser than I in a presentation said "The easiest negotiation after independence will be the currency negotiations. They will take about five minutes to complete"

Personally I would like to see a new currency, but the likelihood will be the euro further down the line but as others have said that won't happen overnight.

Sterling zone is best for both parties in the interim

I find it odd that all these people claim to want independence but are too scared to start a currency that doesn't rely on England.

Who's scared? Originally TSAR said there was too much uncertainty hanging over the currency we would use and that concrete plans should be put in place. He mentioned starting a new currency and I commented that surely starting a new currency gives you even more uncertainty than continuing to use the pound. No one has said that they're scared of starting up our own currency, just that it is something we can work towards.

It really is a different issue than independence alone.

It's madness to suggest that on day one of independence Scotland should invent a new currency. Perhaps over long term it may be more achievable.

This is why the plans should be written up before secession though.

Personally I'd suggest, post referendum, a 6 year timescale to complete secession.

September 2014: Referendum shows plurality support for independence

May 2015: UK general election, Scottish MPs are elected, as normal

May 2016: Scottish parliamentary elections

2014 onwards: Powers are slowly transferred from Westminister to Holyrood and infrastructure of Scotland post-independence set up.

May 2020: Scotland officially secedes immediately before the UK general election

May 2021: First elections to fully independent Scottish parliament.

I would rather see them make plans for our own currency or try and join the euro.

I think the Euro is politically sensitive.

Public opinion for joining in Denmark and Sweden has collapsed since the Euro crisis.

I think the best option is our own currency.

This is why the plans should be written up before secession though.

Personally I'd suggest, post referendum, a 6 year timescale to complete secession.

1. There is already a concrete plan outlined.

2. You've definitely outed yourself as a No voter there.

I think the Euro is politically sensitive.

Public opinion for joining in Denmark and Sweden has collapsed since the Euro crisis.

I think the best option is our own currency.

Long term, I suspect that will be the case. Stick what we have for five years, get the first things sorted out, and then make a final decision on currency down the line when its all settled down.

I suppose it's because Rab C has to try and sell the idea to the voters and this has of course led to no end of bullshit on his part.

Many Britons are looking at this independence and seeing a Scotland who won't let go of UK apron strings.

On the one hand it's all Brave Heart,anti London,anti Westminster anti England from Rab but on the other it's 'will you still be our best friends at play-time'.

Bloody ridiculous and frankly insulting to the Scottish voters.

Archived