Independence - how would you vote?

Wee Bully

Independence - how would you vote  

1,135 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Nothing to see here! The expression "free pass" comes to mind...

I'm not sure what you want me to add here. The Ashcroft poll is severely flawed, is being massively misrepresented, is far too old to be of any use and everyone else on here seems to agree.

• Replies 32k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure what you want me to add here. The Ashcroft poll is severely flawed, is being massively misrepresented, is far too old to be of any use and everyone else on here seems to agree.

I think they're looking for a '...and unionists are b*****ds' at the end of your post.

The Guardian, Scotsman, and Daily Telegraph ran a detailed discussion of three of these polls. Which one did they ignore completely (as far as I'm aware)?

I wouldn't fret over that. The readership in Scotland of those three combined is probably three men and a dog. And all including the dog have made up their mind already.

I wouldn't fret over that. The readership in Scotland of those three combined is probably three men and a dog. And all including the dog have made up their mind already.

The readership doesn't concern me. The only thing that the papers are good for in slanting opinion is the punchy headline you get on the placards outside shop.

Everyone? Im hearing a whole load of silence from the rest of your Glasgow law squad! You know, posters like barry, who wouldn't know intellectual honesty if it acted like a sinister harry potter character towards his children.

And the bbc? Should we also give them a free pass? We should only criticise lies and dishonesty from influential sources. Or pro-independence sources of any kind.

Ladies and gentlemen, prepare to be stunned. The Guardian has demonstrated some actual journalism!

Lord Ashcroft's Scottish polling: mums, dodgy sums and naked politics

Johann Lamont more popular than Salmond?

But the polls have numerous talking points, not least the arrival of a new demographic in Scottish polling: "mums with children".

In one of the few bits of good polling data for Johann Lamont and the Scottish Labour party in months, these "mums", all 3,200 of them, give her a plus 7 popularity rating, one point more than that for Alex Salmond (although, as with other polls, he is known to far more voters than she - 37% had never heard of her. The first minister is known to 99%).

Only with "mums with kids" and those who had heard of her. How about that 3% thinking independence should be top priority?

In his press briefing issued on Friday, Ashcroft implied that just 3% of all 1,000 voters polled in August (this was the last of three Scottish polls he conducted in this batch) believed the referendum should be top priority, while a far larger 41% thought "the economy/jobs" and 15% thought the NHS ought to be prioritised.

Taken at face value, this was duly seized on by the pro-UK Better Together campaign as proof of how out of step Salmond was with popular opinion, and reported by many newspapers, including the Guardian, as further evidence that Scottish voters were disgruntled by the independence campaign.

It could point to why, with the exception of that isolated Panelbase poll for the Scottish National party showing a one point lead for "yes" last week, the "no" appears to be so firm.

But Ashcroft's detailed polling tables revealed the sample for that question was in fact restricted to the 61% of voters who had earlier said the Scottish government ought to have a different priority.

So that would be no then. How about Holyroods greatest achievements?

There were other areas where results were elided in the media briefing sheets: while Ashcroft highlighted free prescriptions and free university tuition in his briefing as voters views of Holyrood's best achievements, in his August follow-up poll, voters actually put "police/crime" and "free dental" as their top two choices.

Equally, the 41% "economy/jobs" figure quoted above came from merging two topics chosen by voters: "creating jobs" at 22% and "the economy (general)" at 18%.

So completely dishonest yet again. Who does this polling?

Despite presumably spending millions on his personal polling operation, Ashcroft is also very coy about who does his polling. It is believed they are conducted by ORB International, an international private polling firm run by in Europe by Johnny Heald, the son of former Gallup boss Gordon Heald. That was something Ashcroft's office would neither confirm nor deny.

So he ain't saying.

In short, this is quite possibly the most dishonest poll we've seen of the lot of them! And what do our Glasgow law squad say? Well apart from Ad Lib, who has at least criticised it, the rest of the squad appear to be very unusually silent on this issue!

If there was a man in a red shirt, or it was a poll that slanted towards independence, there would be six pages on it and you know it.

Only because Colkitto and BaxterParp would claim everything was absolutely fine.

Only polls that slant pro-independence need several days' worth of frenzied dissection.

Yeah... except the YouGov poll attracted pages of frenzied dissection.

So not really then.

I ve already said the Ashcroft polls should be disregarded. They dont ask the referendum question without preamble for a start.

The ashcroft poll joins discredited nonsense like the SNP Panelbase poll, in the dustbin.

Does anyone have the updated Curtice line graph to hand incidentally?

I remember much quoting of it and the arc of prosperity one a little while back?

Is it still neck and neck? And verrry interesting?

Archived