Independence - how would you vote?

Wee Bully

Independence - how would you vote  

1,135 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

First and last post on the matter: I don't like 'rape' being used as a rhetorical advice at all, much less with children in the same sentence, and for that reason I'd prefer xbl hadn't done it. I've been consistent on this and I have no problem criticising it. However, xbl's correct that a lot worse goes on on P&B and that there seem to be a lot of crocodile tears from people who are quite happy to partake of it themselves.

What other people write elsewhere on P&B has nothing whatsoever to do with what people are complaining about here.

For what its worth I don't think this is crocodile tears in the slightest. Most people who have commented on it including yourself have condemned what he said as gratuitous and crossing a line. Using the phrase 'raped YOUR children' personalises it and takes it way beyond acceptable.

He's been warned by the mods and instead of doing what most other decent people would do and either holding his hands up or lying low for a while he's on here unrepentant and actually revelling in it. No great surprise given his track record in attention seeking but if we're seriously saying that's the level of debate which is deemed acceptable on here then as someone said earlier, I'm not interested.

• Replies 32k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By the way, some of you guys have got to work out my speciality is, is it attention seeking and revelling in it, or is it dodging and hiding.

I have no issue with people who find it disgusting, it was meant to be. Tasteless, I can also accept. Offensive though? Give me a break!

Feel free to talk about other stuff though, its a bit unfair to accuse me of derailing the thread when it is you lot who have done nothing but talk about me all day.

What other people write elsewhere on P&B has nothing whatsoever to do with what people are complaining about here.

For what its worth I don't think this is crocodile tears in the slightest. Most people who have commented on it including yourself have condemned what he said as gratuitous and crossing a line. Using the phrase 'raped YOUR children' personalises it and takes it way beyond acceptable.

He's been warned by the mods and instead of doing what most other decent people would do and either holding his hands up or lying low for a while he's on here unrepentant and actually revelling in it. No great surprise given his track record in attention seeking but if we're seriously saying that's the level of debate which is deemed acceptable on here then as someone said earlier, I'm not interested.

This mock offence is just another tedious deflection - still waiting to read anything positive from the unionists on here!

Apparently Johann Lamont was spotted at Holyrood today, charging Salmond using the spurious Scottish Labour equation 'making new laws = government', but I guess we can wait until the door hits roverthemoon's arse on his way out.

I'd like to defend xbl here. It was a throwaway comment and lots of off colour stuff gets thrown around in metaphors etc. on this board. It's part of the nature of the place and I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing.

I don't really understand the grave offence this has caused and I think he's getting a bit of a raw deal.

I'd like to defend xbl here. It was a throwaway comment and lots of off colour stuff gets thrown around in metaphors etc. on this board. It's part of the nature of the place and I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing.

I don't really understand the grave offence this has caused and I think he's getting a bit of a raw deal.

Agreed. It was a bit off colour, and not something I would personally write, but quite frankly, as the perpetrator of the offence was " intellectual honesty", it is difficult to see the grave offence that is being taken.

Some people are trying to be offended.

I came across this on facebook https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/971280_462414313865799_1562452598_n.jpg

I know the circles the guy moves in and the way he speaks, so there's no point engaging him in debate as I'll no doubt just piss people off and achieve nothing (+ I'm a coward) but I wonder if he remembers that alongside the UK, the Soviet Union, USA, China, France, Canada, Australia, Belgium, Poland, Yugoslavia, Brazil, Greece, The Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, South Africa, Mexico, Czechoslovakia and Mongolia also stood united against the Axis powers.

Whatever happened the Soviet Union, Yugoslavia and Czechoslovakia by the way? Been awfy quiet these days.

Thankfully the majority of P&B'ers do not share XBL's view on the suitability of last night's comments. I can't think of any platform on which that subject matter would be appropriate (whether in abstract or otherwise) other than a news bulletin.

The initial comment I can accept as an ill judged throw away line. But to continuously defend the comment, plead ignorance, justify it with the "I've seen worse" defense and revel in it is morally reprehensible. Utterly disgusting behaviour.

I think it shows for whom the forum is personal, and for whom it is just business. The likes of myself, hb, swampy, reynard etc trade barbs and go to war, but none of us take it personally! Its just a bit of fun. Thats why we can agree on some threads and disagree aggressively on others.

Some people take it personally though...

I've always used horrendously distasteful imagery, and I always will! Sue me. :D

Thankfully the majority of P&B'ers do not share XBL's view on the suitability of last night's comments. I can't think of any platform on which that subject matter would be appropriate (whether in abstract or otherwise) other than a news bulletin.

The initial comment I can accept as an ill judged throw away line. But to continuously defend the comment, plead ignorance, justify it with the "I've seen worse" defense and revel in it is morally reprehensible. Utterly disgusting behaviour.

Yes barry we are all of us aware of your views on XBL's tasteless comment. But, let us move on as you are really sounding like a fucking broken record now!

So, back on to the topic - can we have the positive case for the Union anyone?

Yes barry we are all of us aware of your views on XBL's tasteless comment. But, let us move on as you are really sounding like a fucking broken record now!

So, back on to the topic - can we have the positive case for the Union anyone?

I've made one post on the subject in 23 hours. Your comparison with a broken record, therefore, isn't particularly effective.

Archived