Independence - how would you vote?

Wee Bully

Independence - how would you vote  

1,135 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 32k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So the BBC are advertising for an average solicitor at an average solicitors wage, what's your point?

Nifty bit of editing and backtracking there. They were not advertising for "an average solicitor". They were advertising for a "Senior Corporate Lawyer".

On a salary scale varying between £40-70k. That is uncompetitive for senior legal positions relative to the typical salaries of solicitors in London, and no great shakes elsewhere either.

Well firstly, I think there will be nothing like 500. That said though, even 500 would not be significant versus a population of around 12,500, which I believe is the current community of solicitors in Scotland.

Also, of this community, a recent Law Souciety Journal figure suggests that over 1/3 earn more than £50K per annum.

So, as Ad Lib correctly states, to give your flight of fancy wings we are to assume (and let's ignore the stupidity of basing a department hundreds of miles away from the university supply chain) that these dual-qualified lawyers that exist in Scotland are going to leave private practice or their current in-house role to move to the BBC, a public body. Or else English-based solicitors are going to move north to take up roles not in London, but in the new Scottish base.

Insanity.

Wow...not a fact in sight,

Wow...not a fact in sight,

Just as well then I made no claims around these numbers.

I'm waiting to find out how many of Scotland's circa 12,500 solicitors are dual-qualified.

This fail has just unravelled quickly for Wee Bully. He's had an absolute disaster here.

I've just skimmed bits of this...

When did Ad Lib become a unionist? Why?

or is xbl just trolling him for being boring?

Ad Lib isn't a unionist, he's more than happy to cut through any bullshit from either side, which there's been a ridiculous amount of.

The thread is all about the BBC and the lack of lawyers in Scotland employed by said company...

Ad Lib isn't a unionist, he's more than happy to cut through any bullshit from either side, which there's been a ridiculous amount of.

Nonsense. Ad Lib briefly flirted with favouring independence, much in the same way he flirted with Tory paternalism, classical liberalism and woodchopping individualism. All it needs is a conversion to Marxism and we have the full house from a busted flush who adopts the last perspective to be hurrahed at the Law School cheese and wine function.

Nobody's impressed.

Nifty bit of editing and backtracking there. They were not advertising for "an average solicitor". They were advertising for a "Senior Corporate Lawyer".

On a salary scale varying between £40-70k. That is uncompetitive for senior legal positions relative to the typical salaries of solicitors in London, and no great shakes elsewhere either.

Fine, are you saying that the BBC can't employ someone for those wages? They seem confident that they can. In fact, I bet they already do, since that's their standard grade 11 payscale.

Fine, are you saying that the BBC can't employ someone for those wages? They seem confident that they can. In fact, I bet they already do, since that's their standard grade 11 payscale.

That's the point. Apparently you can afford to hire a "Senoir Corporate Lawyer" on that salary in London, but it would be impossible in Scotland where wages are far higher...

That's the point. Apparently you can afford to hire a "Senoir Corporate Lawyer" on that salary in London, but it would be impossible in Scotland where wages are far higher...

In London you need only hire someone from a far bigger pool, familiar only in English law. In Glasgow you need to persuade a yuppie lawyer to move north of the M25 (a challenge in itself) or hire a dual-qualified Scottish lawyer who is content to forgo either being a partner in a fairly big Scottish or UK-wide firm to do so, or to cease being an associate at precisely the point in their career where getting a partnership depends on being near the top of the pile of the also rans.

Just as well then I made no claims around these numbers.

I'm waiting to find out how many of Scotland's circa 12,500 solicitors are dual-qualified.

This fail has just unravelled quickly for Wee Bully. He's had an absolute disaster here.

1) then whats your point?

2) Why? you admited that your not making claims about specific numbers - neither is anyone else

3) H_B, looks like the disasters all yours...you're just taking this round in circles,

It's xbl being a child, vikingTON slavering for meat in the absence of a willing zero-pointer and Swampy trying to jump on the bandwagon without actually jumping on the bandwagon. The rest are just cheerleaders.

I'm not a Unionist and will be voting Yes in the referendum.

In London you need only hire someone from a far bigger pool, familiar only in English law. In Glasgow you need to persuade a yuppie lawyer to move north of the M25 (a challenge in itself) or hire a dual-qualified Scottish lawyer who is content to forgo either being a partner in a fairly big Scottish or UK-wide firm to do so, or to cease being an associate at precisely the point in their career where getting a partnership depends on being near the top of the pile of the also rans.

Glasgow doesn't have yuppie lawyers? There are no lawyers already in public services in Scotland? A lawyer from elsewhere in England would refuse to take a job in the North? Good lord, unemployment amongst lawyers climbed 400% in the recession, have all of them found jobs?

This is utter rot from start to finish, Libby. I don't know how you can keep a straight face posting this utter, utter shite.

Glasgow doesn't have yuppie lawyers? There are no lawyers already in public services in Scotland? A lawyer from elsewhere in England would refuse to take a job in the North? Good lord, unemployment amongst lawyers climbed 400% in the recession, have all of them found jobs?

This is utter rot from start to finish, Libby. I don't know how you can keep a straight face posting this utter, utter shite.

Glasgow doesn't have yuppie lawyers that wouldn't consider moving north of the M25. Because, you know, they're in Glasgow.

Lawyers in London would be loathed to move up north or to Scotland for much the same reasons as Glasgow lawyers don't much enjoy the prospect of working in Banff. This isn't complicated.

I presume you have statistics indicating the level of unemployment for dual-qualified solicitors in the recession, or some statistics supporting the view that lawyers are moving further away from the South East in response to solicitor employment levels, right?

I call him a Unionist because 99% of his posts back the Unionist point of view. Baxter pointed out a good description. He's a "concern troll". When he stops posting like a Unionist, I'll stop calling him a Unionist.

Glasgow doesn't have yuppie lawyers that wouldn't consider moving north of the M25. Because, you know, they're in Glasgow.

Lawyers in London would be loathed to move up north or to Scotland for much the same reasons as Glasgow lawyers don't much enjoy the prospect of working in Banff. This isn't complicated.

I presume you have statistics indicating the level of unemployment for dual-qualified solicitors in the recession, or some statistics supporting the view that lawyers are moving further away from the South East in response to solicitor employment levels, right?

What is it with you and H_B. both of you are reaming off post after post full of suppositions, yet you are demanding figures off anyone who will listen to you dribbiling rantings without offering anything of substance yourselves...this is really getting quite embarrassing for you pair.

Edited to fix various spelling fuckups

The bare-faced cheek you have in asking for evidence when you have provided precisely none to support your bizarre theory is duly noted. Lawyers already work for public services in Scotland, therefore public services can hire solicitors. QED. Your turn.

The bare-faced cheek you have in asking for evidence when you have provided precisely none to support your bizarre theory is duly noted.

"Bizarre theory" :lol:

Basing your UK-wide legal department in the part of the country where the vast majority of those qualified to staff it are based is "bizarre" now is it?

Was that something you learned in your day-release marketing course also?

Archived