Independence - how would you vote?

Wee Bully

Independence - how would you vote  

1,135 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 32k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

H_B has covered this before - the "I'm alright jack" attitude, why gamble on things being better when they're alright now?* The problem No will have is getting these people to actually vote on polling day.

*This isn't my opinion fwiw.

I don't think you can extrapolate that as a uniform attitude across the middle classes. Indeed, support for Yes tends to run highest amongst the higher educated middle earner male demographic.

Then he looks at the polls and he realises he has nothing to be bothered about whatsoever. <_<

How come he looks so animated with the raised voice and angry head on all the time? He was always the cool mild mannered Chancellor who never got upset in interviews.

That's all changed now, he's making basic errors in interviews like the 2 Billion barrels of oil left :lol::lol::lol:

He losing it big time for someone who knows he's going to win... :rolleyes:

Do you actually have an opinion on anything? I don't think I've ever seen you express one. All you do is ask other people what they think.

I expressed a "poltical opinion" today, on the other politics thread.

I don't think you can extrapolate that as a uniform attitude across the middle classes. Indeed, support for Yes tends to run highest amongst the higher educated middle earner male demographic.

Is that right? I had previosuly read on here that it was more popular in lower educated working class demographics - which i always found odd give that's the traditional labour support base.

Got any figures for this?

I expressed a "poltical opinion" today, on the other politics thread.

Is that right? I had previosuly read on here that it was more popular in lower educated working class demographics - which i always found odd give that's the traditional labour support base.

Last breakdown I saw was that support amongst men tended to substantially outstrip women and that support for indy was higher in amongst middle to higher earners. The Unionist bulwark is still the C and D percentile west of Scotland Labour voters. The guys who still believe the party is the party of Jimmy Reid and Michael Foot, or who just do it out of habit becuase they always have.

That's where yes Scotland really need to make inroads. It's also probably why the Jimmy reid foundation 'Common weal' plan is getting talked up so much (not that I'm agianst such a plan, sounds good to me)

You know, thinking about it, given that there are apparently only 2 billion barrels of oil left in the north sea, you would think Project Fear would be in favour of any plans to reduce our dependence on it for energy generation.

:: swoon ::

That must be you for the year. :P

Better to be thought a fool and all that......

Last breakdown I saw was that support amongst men tended to substantially outstrip women and that support for indy was higher in amongst middle to higher earners. The Unionist bulwark is still the C and D percentile west of Scotland Labour voters. The guys who still believe the party is the party of Jimmy Reid and Michael Foot, or who just do it out of habit becuase they always have.

That's where yes Scotland really need to make inroads. It's also probably why the Jimmy reid foundation 'Common weal' plan is getting talked up so much (not that I'm agianst such a plan, sounds good to me)

Are there figures for this? I'm pretty skecptical here.

Yes Scotland have hammered the cultural left vote from the off. It makes sense because that's the battle ground in Scotland - between Labour and the SNP.

This is a very good point - particularly "middle scotland" which the SNP have become so adept at winning, who probably aren't too fussed about the coalition and are the most likely to vote

It's not a case of how bad things are now, but more pointing out that things can be better in the long run.

Yes, but then you could argue that you would be countered with paraphrasing (I know you were being positive, but people will go for that) that 'scaremoungering' 'uncertainty' and all that if we stayed with the rUK. Personally I do believe that could be the case, but it makes the Yes campaign a bit hypocritical at the same time.

Yes, but then you could argue that you would be countered with paraphrasing (I know you were being positive, but people will go for that) that 'scaremoungering' 'uncertainty' and all that if we stayed with the rUK. Personally I do believe that could be the case, but it makes the Yes campaign a bit hypocritical at the same time.

I know it frustrates Yes but the "scaremongering" is a perfectly understandable tactic. These voters are more likely to think about what they have to lose than gain.

Are there figures for this? I'm pretty skecptical here.

As am I...

I did find this :-

IPSOS-MORI - "As we have seen from previous surveys, support for independence is strongest among male voters (47%), the youngest age groups (45% of those aged 18-24) and those who live in the most deprived parts of Scotland (58% of those who live in the most deprived areas compared to 27% among those in the most affluent neighbourhoods)."

http://www.ipsos-mori.com/researchpublications/researcharchive/2912/Four-in-ten-Scots-back-independence.aspx

I know it frustrates Yes but the "scaremongering" is a perfectly understandable tactic. These voters are more likely to think about what they have to lose than gain.

Which is fine, but Project Fear deny that they are scaremongering. Apparently they are being positive.

Can't remember who came up with it, but together over the loss of something, you have to get double of what you lost.

So if you lost a tenner, someone has to give you£20 to get you feeling the same.

As am I...

I did find this :-

IPSOS-MORI - "As we have seen from previous surveys, support for independence is strongest among male voters (47%), the youngest age groups (45% of those aged 18-24) and those who live in the most deprived parts of Scotland (58% of those who live in the most deprived areas compared to 27% among those in the most affluent neighbourhoods)."

http://www.ipsos-mori.com/researchpublications/researcharchive/2912/Four-in-ten-Scots-back-independence.aspx

I'd also be willing to bet that, though IQ is itself a pretty poor measuring tool, that the smart people will generally be No voters were such data to be available also...

As I said, a positive campaign will always win against a negative campaign in the end. However if both sides go negative, the one being more negative always wins.

Which will be no. You can always go negative and attack, but always follow it up with a positive comment.

Yes XBL, I'm looking at you :P

I'd also be willing to bet that, though IQ is itself a pretty poor measuring tool, that the smart people will generally be No voters were such data to be available also...

lol wut

Is that because you consider yourself smart and are voting No ;)

Archived