Independence - how would you vote?

Wee Bully

Independence - how would you vote  

1,135 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 32k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scotland's pensioners will comprise 22% of the population by 2035 compared to just 18% of the rest of the United Kingdom.

Has anyone done a Venn diagram yet?

post-5900-0-65677000-1374706212_thumb.jp

So, if 0.22 Scot Pop = 0.18 UK Pop, then Scot Pop = 0.82 UK Pop or 81.8%

This is not acceptable and I suggest we release the rUK from this unbalanced state of affairs at the forthcoming referendum. Or have a square go, either works for me really!

Did anyone read this piece in the Scotsman about the links between Irish and Scottish nationalism? http://www.scotsman.com/news/kevin-toolis-no-price-to-put-on-passion-1-3011477

The basic point seems to be that Yes voters are primarily driven by an unshakeable belief that Scotland should be independent, and that this belief then makes all other economic/social concerns irrelevant. He tries to infer that Yes voters will vote Yes regardless of the economic consequences. There are definitely people in the Yes movement whose nationalism is based on a historic sense of injustice but it seems like the majority are driven by concerns about inequality, poor governance, foreign affairs etc that aren't rooted in any heartfelt sense of historic wrongdoing. Thoughts?

I'm voting yes because I hate the b*****d English.

You haven't been paying attention to this thread for a while, have you?

You haven't been paying attention to this tread much today, have you? Clearly (and as clarified many hours ago) I was referring to the current discussion and the accusation that Nicola's 'lie' is continuously brought up. On this occasion it was The Wolf.

You haven't been paying attention to this tread much today, have you? Clearly (and as clarified many hours ago) I was referring to the current discussion and the accusation that Nicola's 'lie' is continuously brought up. On this occasion it was The Wolf.

How dare he not be glued to this thread all day.

It is continously brought up by HB. Its his thing.

He has said multiple times that he doesn't feel the need to keep Unionists honest. Apparently that isn't his job. His job is to keep independence supporters honest. By supporting the Unionist point of view as much as he can.

Untrue. I have never said I don't feel the need to keep Unionists honest.

"Wasn't it a Nat who brought up the subject of Nicola's "lie"? Don't let that get in the way of things though."

I can only reply to the stupid things you type.

Did anyone read this piece in the Scotsman about the links between Irish and Scottish nationalism? http://www.scotsman.com/news/kevin-toolis-no-price-to-put-on-passion-1-3011477

The basic point seems to be that Yes voters are primarily driven by an unshakeable belief that Scotland should be independent, and that this belief then makes all other economic/social concerns irrelevant. He tries to infer that Yes voters will vote Yes regardless of the economic consequences. There are definitely people in the Yes movement whose nationalism is based on a historic sense of injustice but it seems like the majority are driven by concerns about inequality, poor governance, foreign affairs etc that aren't rooted in any heartfelt sense of historic wrongdoing. Thoughts?

Cui bono. In regards to animosity between people of any nation and especially terrorism anywhere on earth, it is never the workers of a nation who benefit, and all wars are actually terrorism with bigger budgets (funded by banksters and corrupt governors, the workers pay during such happenings in lost lives and afterwards by way of high taxation for decades to pay the financial debts that are the result of such terrorism/wars). Only banksters, corrupt governors and their agent provocateurs profit from terrorism/wars.

I think that only incredibly stupid people and shit-stirrers would attempt to compare the people of Scotland who will be voting in the 2014 Scottish Independence Referendum with either violent unionist protestors or terrorists or republican protestors or terrorists of Northern Ireland. The people of Scotland are a peaceful lot and will continue to live in peace with each another no matter what the result of the referendum turns out to be. I think that the people of Scotland should be very careful who they listen to during the run up to the referendum and afterwards and keep their eyes and ears open for agent provocateurs who may try to cause animosity between the people of Scotland. Who owns the media? It is never the people.

And you don't think that in the short term an independent Scotland could achieve this, given, for example that we won't be poughing in money to UK projects that do nothing for Scotland and that the SNP has said it'll spend less on the military as a percentage of GDP.

Why is what the SNP have said they'd do in respect of military spending relevant - according to many we shouldn't worry as they'll pack up as soon as Independence is achieved. Utter bollocks of course as if that was their intention they'd have said so to avoid the the anti-Salmond factor affecting the Yes vote.

1955 was the last time the majority of the people in Scotland decided to vote for the Tories.

Of the 58 years between then and now we have had 34 years of Tory rule (...and it continues)

When you look at those figures you have to really ask; Why is this even up for a debate?

This is simply about Governance. Vote YES

Disgracefully the Orkney and Shetlands constituency haven't had their vote reflected in the resulting government since 1945 - that's 68 years.

What's your point caller?

That's XBL's job.

Fortunately, this has the real blessing of keeping him well away from real people.

Awww, look who is getting personal again. Are you bitter because Im not letting you get away with telling lies? Still waiting.

Alistair Darling’s claim that there are only 2 billion barrels of oil left in the North Sea is absolutely ridiculous!

He's rattled and knows he's losing the argument on staying in the Union. Games up!

Alistair Darlings claim that there are only 2 billion barrels of oil left in the North Sea is absolutely ridiculous!

He's rattled and knows he's losing the argument on staying in the Union. Games up!

Oh but he just got a bit confused in a live interview, easy mistake to make! Which is why he issued a clarific....oh.

Alistair Darling’s claim that there are only 2 billion barrels of oil left in the North Sea is absolutely ridiculous!

Then he looks at the polls and he realises he has nothing to be bothered about whatsoever. <_<

Archived