Independence - how would you vote?

Wee Bully

Independence - how would you vote  

1,135 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 32k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why?

Because I have one national identity that I'm proud of, to me personally I couldn't have a second national identity because it would undermine the first.

We are a nation and should govern ourselves. The political differences between us and the rest of the UK are becoming greater and the policies we have forced upon us are not representative of Scottish public opinion. But mostly this is about our identity.

Scotlands situation is like the majority of England and Wales.

Yes,identity is as things stand about the most important point.

Because I have one national identity that I'm proud of, to me personally I couldn't have a second national identity because it would undermine the first.

So 300 years of Brits often 'doing it together' so to speakdoes'nt register?

The massive (maybe over 80%) amount of Scottish families that have English relatives through marriage.

We are the same people sharing our beautiful small island/s.

Scotlands situation is like the majority of England and Wales.

Yes,identity is as things stand about the most important point.

Another reason I would use would be confidence. We would all acknowledge I'm sure that Scotland is a fairly negative country. That might be because at several times in our history we have suffered from mass emigration and it could be argued that those left here are those who accepted how things were and didn't take a chance to make their lives better. On top of this it was decided that we weren't capable of governing on our own and for 300 years we have more or less been ruled by an overlord. For us to take this chance I feel could make a huge difference to our general attitude as a nation.

So 300 years of Brits often 'doing it together' so to speakdoes'nt register?

The massive (maybe over 80%) amount of Scottish families that have English relatives through marriage.

We are the same people sharing our beautiful small island/s.

I have English relatives and I like most of them. It doesn't mean I must be of the same nationality as them. I can respect people from all nationalities.

I'm undecided here so what I think is most important to ask is why?

Why? Is the big question why do we want independence is it because of sour grapes being bought and sold for English gold? Is it because genuinely that Scotland would be better alone? Would it be because of Thatcher? Is it constant westminster rule, if so, why has devolution failed or not rectified this, indeed has it enhanced the desire... But it is definitely why... But on a personal note what do you as an individual benefit from separation?

I haven't ever followed politics or such, however this vote is looming and I would like to know I am voting yes or no for the right reasons.

Scotland could be economically successful. Even when I was against independence, I strongly believed that. Westminster governance is what finally changed my mind into a yes sympathiser (i wont have thevote).

During my lifetime it's always been South East centric (those believe its all about London clearly don't look at voting patterns or poverty figures), but during the past ten years it has got steadily worse. The question that I would ask myself if I were you is; why are MSPs from unionist parties so useless? Why is success in politics marked by Westminster participation? Why is local government so utterly pointless in the UK?

Centralisation of politics in the UK is disastrous for Wales and Scotland, even worse for parts of England because at least in Wales andScotland we have a modicum of control. Scottish politicians from the SNP and Greens have their eyes on taking power. From the Tories, Labour and Lib Dems, they are keeping their eyes on the next opportunity to be MPs.

Scotland could be economically successful. Even when I was against independence, I strongly believed that. Westminster governance is what finally changed my mind into a yes sympathiser (i wont have thevote).

During my lifetime it's always been South East centric (those believe its all about London clearly don't look at voting patterns or poverty figures), but during the past ten years it has got steadily worse. The question that I would ask myself if I were you is; why are MSPs from unionist parties so useless? Why is success in politics marked by Westminster participation? Why is local government so utterly pointless in the UK?

Centralisation of politics in the UK is disastrous for Wales and Scotland, even worse for parts of England because at least in Wales andScotland we have a modicum of control. Scottish politicians from the SNP and Greens have their eyes on taking power. From the Tories, Labour and Lib Dems, they are keeping their eyes on the next opportunity to be MPs.

In Holyrood I believe 5 parties are currently represented, of those 5 there are 3 run from Westminster, the unionist parties. There are two run from Scotland, SNP and the Greens, who are for independence. I wonder why this is?

Today's update from Project Fear:

Scottish independence: Scientists setback fears

Argh!

That article (and it's being generous calling it that) really grinds my gears, but see this quote in particular:

In 2012, Scottish institutions received more than £229 million from Research Councils UK – 15.2 per cent of the total budget – despite having just 8.4 per cent of the UK population. A further £121m was received from charities.

It really rustles my jimmies. Bitter Together have tried pulling it off before too.

Firstly, it is quite Reynard-esque in that it is similar to his "wind subsidies per head of population" fail: essentially trying to make out that we're "too wee, too poor and too stupid" through the use of twisting/misunderstanding statistics.

Secondly, and more importantly, Scotland has 15 out of the UK's 109 universities, which is 13.8%. Now, that may still be a slightly lower percentage than the 15.2% of funding we receive, but considering we have universities held in such high regard worldwide like St. Andrews, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Aberdeen, why shouldn't we get a slightly larger percentage funding?

In any case, a potential 'shortfall' post-independence would be largely irrelevant, as it could be made up from funds that we currently spunk away for no apparent reason. For example: we contribute ~£3.3 billion to the UK's defence budget, but only ~£1.8billion of that is actually spent in Scotland. Just imagine if that missing ~£1.5billion went to funding university research rather than the manufacturing of bullets and bombs?

In short, that article is nothing but your standard raving Brit-nat pish which is all too common from the Scotchman. Thankfully, it is a 'paper' in terminal decline and it won't be long now until it is buried for good.

I have English relatives and I like most of them. It doesn't mean I must be of the same nationality as them. I can respect people from all nationalities.

So Scotland,England,Wales and N Ireland making up the UK doesn't count?

I mean 4 countries within a United Kingdom,sharing our islands/s together,the good,bad and ugly of it.

Who thinks that,i don't and if your're suggesting Scot/Brits do too,then you insult their intelligence and soul.

You have a very short attention span. Probably why you regularly make a tit of yourself on here.

Your last sentence is simply not true.

Identity is a big point and until the nationalist separatist movement can convince Brits it's better to for them to lose half of their identy then you matey,are beat.

EDIT: Though maybe I've misunderstood what an identy is.

You were talking about people having relatives from different parts of the UK. I apologize that me having no Welsh or Northern Irish family offends you.

Another reason I would use would be confidence. We would all acknowledge I'm sure that Scotland is a fairly negative country. That might be because at several times in our history we have suffered from mass emigration and it could be argued that those left here are those who accepted how things were and didn't take a chance to make their lives better. On top of this it was decided that we weren't capable of governing on our own and for 300 years we have more or less been ruled by an overlord. For us to take this chance I feel could make a huge difference to our general attitude as a nation.

You could also see how Scotland as part of GB has influenced palces across the world.

That's very positive.

Scotland has representatives in the Government,we've had Scottish PMs.

If you use the £ (still an "if") as an Inde country then you will do what rUK banks tell you because as a foreign country they are not duty bound to do you any big favours.Also,you will not be represented in the rUK Government.

You could also see how Scotland as part of GB has influenced palces across the world.

That's very positive.

Scotland has representatives in the Government,we've had Scottish PMs.

If you use the £ (still an "if") as an Inde country then you will do what rUK banks tell you because as a foreign country they are not duty bound to do you any big favours.Also,you will not be represented in the rUK Government.

What would change :lol:

I'm undecided here so what I think is most important to ask is why?

Why? Is the big question why do we want independence is it because of sour grapes being bought and sold for English gold? Is it because genuinely that Scotland would be better alone? Would it be because of Thatcher? Is it constant westminster rule, if so, why has devolution failed or not rectified this, indeed has it enhanced the desire... But it is definitely why... But on a personal note what do you as an individual benefit from separation?

I haven't ever followed politics or such, however this vote is looming and I would like to know I am voting yes or no for the right reasons.

I think it's this simple: why isn't Scotland at least as rich and prosperous as Norway right now? After all, we both discovered oil and gas in the North Sea at the same time. In fact, Scotland has the largest continental shelf of any country in the North Sea. Also, oil and gas would only comprise roughly 15% of the Scottish economy, compared to 30% of the Norwegian economy.

517px-North_sea_eez.PNG

We have been cataclysmically failed by Westminster, who clearly don't have Scotland's best interests at heart. Plus, who will care more about Scotland: a government in Edinburgh, or a government in London? There is no logic or positive case in support of the CDU.

Watch this video:

Imagine if you asked the people of Norway to reunite with Sweden and then told them that all of their oil and gas revenues would be sent straight to a government in Stockholm? :lol:

Also, why are punters still reacting to DeeGas' schtick? :lol:

I think it's this simple: why isn't Scotland at least as rich and prosperous as Norway right now? After all, we both discovered oil and gas in the North Sea at the same time. In fact, Scotland has the largest continental shelf of any country in the North Sea. Also, oil and gas would only comprise roughly 15% of the Scottish economy, compared to 30% of the Norwegian economy.

517px-North_sea_eez.PNG

We have been cataclysmically failed by Westminster, who clearly don't have Scotland's best interests at heart. Plus, who will care more about Scotland: a government in Edinburgh, or a government in London? There is no logic or positive case in support of the CDU.

Watch this video:

More fantasy.

Scotland already have joined the British Union,they did when they had already buggered themselves 300 years ago.

Now take the rough with the smooth.

Is there no end to nasty nationalist whinging!

More fantasy.

Scotland already have joined the British Union,they did when they had already buggered themselves 300 years ago.

Now take the rough with the smooth.

Is there no end to nasty nationalist whinging!

Theres nothing nasty about wanting to decide your own destiny. What is nasty is the hostile attitude the UK is already showing towards a future Scottish state.

Archived