Independence - how would you vote?

Wee Bully

Independence - how would you vote  

1,135 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think they just didn't think about what they were saying.

Don't be ridiculous. If it's a careless mistake, they make it a hell of a lot:

http://wingsoverscotland.com/foreigner-watch/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“My son, for example, who went to university in England, I think I’d be uncomfortable with the thought that he’s now a foreigner.”

- Margaret Curran, Good Morning Scotland, 25 May 2013

“If Scotland wants to be independent they have the absolute right to do so. But I think nationalism is a mistake. And I am half Scots and feel it would divide me in half with a knife. The thought that my mother would suddenly be a foreigner would upset me very much.”

- Tony Benn, The Scotsman, 18 August 2012

“We’ve got friends and relations north and south of the border and we don’t want to make each other foreigners.”

- Alistair Darling, Euronews, 31 August 2012

“We have the spectacle of a hard line nationalist saying ‘you will still be British after independence’. If you are no longer part of the UK how can you be British? Your friends in Wales, your family in England and your workmates from Northern Ireland will, effectively and overnight, become foreigners.”

- Alistair Darling, John P Mackintosh lecture, 10 November 2012

“Alistair Darling will today accuse the SNP of attempting to ‘turn family into foreigners’ with its plan to break up Britain.”

- The Times, 14 February 2013

“In simple terms, why make Sir Alex Ferguson a foreigner?”

- Johann Lamont, May 2013

“The Aberdeen schoolgirl said she and her friends were going to vote to remain part of the UK because they did not want their relatives in England to become foreigners”

- The Telegraph quotes young Labour activist Iona Macdonald speaking to the Scottish Labour conference, April 2013

“The nature of my work means that I am based in London, like tens of thousands of Scots now facing the same prospect of becoming foreigners in our own land.”

- slightly confused “Better Together” main donor Ian Taylor, 7 April 2013

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's not simply OBSERVING that people are foreigners, that's actively saying it's a bad thing. Why would you be "uncomfortable" with your son being a "foreigner" if there was nothing wrong with it? Why would it "upset you very much"? Why would you even care? They'll still be the same people.

These people aren't speaking out of turn. This is a conscious, active campaigning choice, and it's ugly as hell. Don't make excuses for it.

• Replies 32k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

“My son, for example, who went to university in England, I think I’d be uncomfortable with the thought that he’s now a foreigner.”

“If Scotland wants to be independent they have the absolute right to do so. But I think nationalism is a mistake. And I am half Scots and feel it would divide me in half with a knife. The thought that my mother would suddenly be a foreigner would upset me very much.”

“We’ve got friends and relations north and south of the border and we don’t want to make each other foreigners.”

“We have the spectacle of a hard line nationalist saying ‘you will still be British after independence’. If you are no longer part of the UK how can you be British? Your friends in Wales, your family in England and your workmates from Northern Ireland will, effectively and overnight, become foreigners.”

“Alistair Darling will today accuse the SNP of attempting to ‘turn family into foreigners’ with its plan to break up Britain.”

“The Aberdeen schoolgirl said she and her friends were going to vote to remain part of the UK because they did not want their relatives in England to become foreigners”

- The Telegraph quotes young Labour activist Iona Macdonald speaking to the Scottish Labour conference, April 2013

“The nature of my work means that I am based in London, like tens of thousands of Scots now facing the same prospect of becoming foreigners in our own land.”

That's not simply OBSERVING that people are foreigners, that's actively saying it's a bad thing. Why would you be "uncomfortable" with your son being a "foreigner" if there was nothing wrong with it? Why would it "upset you very much"? Why would you even care? They'll still be the same people.

These people aren't speaking out of turn. This is a conscious, active campaigning choice, and it's ugly as hell. Don't make excuses for it.

:lol: The best piece of humour from the SNP and Co yet!

Thanks! :lol:

I'm not making excuses for it, I just think they haven't realised the implications of what they're saying. It's a definitely a conscious choice, hell, it's probably in their little black book of campaign talking points. It certainly shows the free ride they're getting in the MSM.

Very good questions. Perhaps people should start asking those quoted those questions.

A bit off topic but followed this link from the comments section of a Scotsman story about the Gilmerton by election tomorrow:

http://order-order.com/2013/06/19/snps-one-party-state-leaflet-trick/

The leaflet is certainly questionable but the anti Scottish bile in the comments section is staggering. For all the unionist claims about cybernats I have never read anything like this directed at the English.

Sent from my HTC One S using Pie & Bovril mobile app

Are you having some kind of beel induced breakdown? I think we all know the answer to that question.

I am Scottish and British and will always be. My parents and grandparents are too. Henrik Larsson will always be Swedish and Scandinavian. What on earth does this have to do with anything?

How many Swedes would be in favour of handing over defence, foreign policy and the economy to Denmark or Norway?

The Republic of Ireland is wealthier than Scotland is in the Union. You're Ravi ga about me being a republican are odd, especially in a Scottish context. I'm really not bothered one way or the other about the Monarchy. How do you dream this stuff up?

Too many off the cuff stats and comparisons in there I'm afraid. Reynard is off googling wildly to find the evidence to contradict you. He'll be along in a minute with a diatribe about over anxious, sensitive swivel eyed nats who know nothing about Ireland's gross national product compared to the European Peat Index.

It's a fantastic point which you can't answer.

My brother lives in the United States and is married to an American citizen. If my brother chooses to become a US citizen, will I be upset about him becoming a foreigner? No, of course not.

It's ugly British Nationalism which has the problem with "foreigners". That's some argument against Scottish political independence! Bitter Together should really run with this full steam ahead, I'm sure it will work out brilliantly for them. :)

Twaddle. :)

I have lots of family members and relatives who have emigrated from Scotland during the past few decades who are no longer British citizens due to changing their nationalities/passports, and their children, my nephews and nieces, cousins, etc born in countries that their parents moved to are also of different nationality/passports. I can honestly say that those quotes above from Unionist politicians are very foolish indeed! I have never considered the various nationalities of my blood relatives to be of any importance to me personally at any time in my life and neither have they.

I have lots of family members and relatives who have emigrated from Scotland during the past few decades who are no longer British citizens due to changing their passports or being born in countries that their parents moved to. I can honestly say that those quotes above from Unionist politicians are very foolish indeed! I have never considered the various nationalities of my blood relatives to be of any importance to me personally at any time in my life and neither have they.

Where did they move to?

A bit off topic but followed this link from the comments section of a Scotsman story about the Gilmerton by election tomorrow:

http://order-order.com/2013/06/19/snps-one-party-state-leaflet-trick/

The leaflet is certainly questionable but the anti Scottish bile in the comments section is staggering. For all the unionist claims about cybernats I have never read anything like this directed at the English.

Yeah, the leaflet is a bit cheeky, but that's about as far as it goes. The comments are pretty much standard for enraged Unionists. I mean, look at Reynard.

Switzerland, Spain, Canada, Australia and USA. Why does it matter?

And New Zealand. Almost forgot that one.

Scotland and England breaking up is not to be compared to eg Englands relationship with Spain!

Don't talk rubbish!

Your logic is an insult to the UK and the millions who believe in the Union.

Archived