Independence - how would you vote?

Wee Bully

Independence - how would you vote  

1,135 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

But we all knew this anyway. It isn't anything new. I'm not stopping anyone discussing it though, I mean knock yourselves out by all means! I discuss real stories other places instead these days. As said yesterday, this thread will get more interesting next year. Until then, its only good for mocking the Unionists.

Not everyone knows everything you know. There are a lot more lurkers than posters in this thread. If we're just pointing out that Reynard is talking about Nazis again for a few pages, many will probably click on the thread less often.

And it being discussed in national media (probably for the first time) is a huge event.

The fact this was also a poll of investor intention (who incidentally took the absolute opposite view to Moore) and not just our own supposition about what would probably happen is also new as far as I'm aware.

I can understand you guys wanting to point out flaws in poster's arguments for the sake of it, but not when there is a major independence story that we could be talking about.

• Replies 32k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not everyone knows everything you know. There are a lot more lurkers than posters in this thread. If we're just pointing out that Reynard is talking about Nazis again for a few pages, many will probably click on the thread less often.

And it being discussed in national media (probably for the first time) is a huge event.

The fact this was also a poll of investor intention (who incidentally took the absolute opposite view to Moore) and not just our own supposition about what would probably happen is also new as far as I'm aware.

I can understand you guys wanting to point out flaws in poster's arguments for the sake of it, but not when there is a major independence story that we could be talking about.

Bang on.

You're right enough actually, fair point about the lurkers.

here's a point worth discussiong - what does this say about the Scottish mainstream media that it's been reported?

The Herald at least has recently been including some very pro-independence stories and if the Scotsman joins in then I think we can call that a bit of a sea-change.

Edited to add, its interesting though, isn't it? Reynard makes fairly regular Nazi references but rarely gets pulled up for it. I make one, and suddenly I'm fair game? Interesting that.

The exact same thing happened on the Olympics thread last year.

The Herald at least has recently been including some very pro-independence stories and if the Scotsman joins in then I think we can call that a bit of a sea-change.

The Scotsman's circulation is swirling around the 30,000 mark and the Herald isn't much better. I don't think either of these papers will have anything even close to a meaningful say among the bulk of the electorate. If the Sun and the Record turn, that would be significant.

The Scotsman's circulation is swirling around the 30,000 mark and the Herald isn't much better. I don't think either of these papers will have anything even close to a meaningful say among the bulk of the electorate. If the Sun and the Record turn, that would be significant.

It's early days, ripples in ponds and a' that.

:lol: I cant see the Record changing sides.

The S*n is hilarious on the issue of independence, the contrasting front pages of the "Scottish" version and the English version the day after the SNP won the majority was priceless :lol::lol:

923197_618194891524758_1730887107_n.jpg

The good news for the Union just keeps on coming!

It fills my heart with joy to think that potential American investors take one look at Michael Moore, listen to what he has to say and agree with most of us that he is a complete bellend.

Don't think the yanks take too positively to negativity, as Moore's much vaunted wrecking mission seems to prove.

What made you change your mind, out of interest?

The world is a very different place since the Act of Union in 1707 and we no longer fear wars and trading is more open. As I believe government should be local and Westminster has not served the interests of the Scottish people the argument for the union comes down to our economy.

I am not convinced our economy would be significantly weaker post independence and nothing has proven the great belief people have that 'England subsidises Scotland'. When people get into that argument I tend to find they have a severe lack of understanding of how the economy works and what a deficit actually is.

EDIT: Basically it's about having a strong as possible local government without compromising the economy and I don't believe independence would

Interesting comments fro arch-Unionist Alex Massie in the Spectator

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/alex-massie/2013/06/prime-time-for-nationalists-stv-screens-a-60-minute-advert-for-the-snp/

"Which is why I don’t think the present opinion polls matter very much. The campaign is only now shifting to prime time."

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/alex-massie/2013/06/prime-time-for-nationalists-stv-screens-a-60-minute-advert-for-the-snp/

"Which is why I don’t think the present opinion polls matter very much. The campaign is only now shifting to prime time."

Despite the title, it's actually a really good article. Nice to see the unionist side of it is actually moving towards talking about the actual issues rather than making up some scare stories.

Also pleasing. To be fair, I've always found Massie to be one of the more reasonable types. I don't agree with all he has to say, but I find him to be reasonably well thought out.

Yes, good article. It's a damn shame more of the No campaigners can't own up to this, and start offering a real choice, rather than the cynical scaremongering so far shown.

Within the space of a few days that's the Sunday Herald, the Scotsman and Massie there print pretty positive stuff from a Yes perspective, which many wouldn't have predicted even a few weeks back.

Long, long way to go yet too so very much all to play for IMO.

Archived