Independence - how would you vote?

Wee Bully

Independence - how would you vote  

1,135 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 32k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I was at school the vast majority of my peers were pro union. Mind you most seemed to have the "we'd become a third world country" "my granny is English" type views. They need to be better informed.

Seems Better Together are issuing their own 'lesson plans' to schools, is this North Korea?

I'm presuming it's as part of a Modern Studies class rather than a hour's worth of propaganda? If it isn't, any teacher remotely worth their salt would throw that straight in the bin. That goes for both sides, incidentally.

I'm presuming it's as part of a Modern Studies class rather than a hour's worth of propaganda? If it isn't, any teacher remotely worth their salt would throw that straight in the bin. That goes for both sides, incidentally.

Thats assuming the teacher isnt a hardcore Unionist...

Based on what ludicrous assumption?

The insane belief that most teachers are professional and that schools at least have an element of accountability. Preposterous, I know, but...

I'm assuming professionalism trumps politics for all teachers.

It would be tremendously unprofessional for teachers to have sexual relationships with some of their pupils, which is why that never happens either.

It would be tremendously unprofessional for teachers to have sexual relationships with some of their pupils, which is why that never happens either.

And the relevance of that is?

When I was at school the vast majority of my peers were pro union. Mind you most seemed to have the "we'd become a third world country" "my granny is English" type views. They need to be better informed.

Of course the vast majority at your school were pro union. For the same reason that they were in mine!

The insane belief that most teachers are professional and that schools at least have an element of accountability. Preposterous, I know, but...

A cursory glance at the way teachers have responded to Gove's rather modest education reforms shows this patently isn't the case.

And the relevance of that is?

How stupid of me. I forgot that professionalism trumps politics, but getting your hole trumps professionalism.

It's like rock, paper, scissors really.

How stupid of me. I forgot that professionalism trumps politics, but getting your hole trumps professionalism.

It's like rock, paper, scissors really.

What are you talking about?

I assume you're working out of the country at the moment? Mars maybe? There is no neutrality. Our papers produce lies, Better Together go into schools and tell people that their family will become ::gasp:: foreigners, our state broadcaster explicitly tells people that they see no need to be balanced, our own Scottish Secretary goes around the world telling people not to invest in Scotland, and nobody, nobody is neutral.

And yet you think that teachers will somehow be this bastion of neutrality? The very idea is insane!

What are you talking about?

I think his point is that there are incidents when teachers are extremely unprofessional, i.e. engage in relationships with their pupils. So if there are a small number of incidents where teachers are prepared to put their professionalism aside for something like that, what makes you think they'll stay neutral on a poxy referendum?

I had to laugh at Der BBC Radio Scotland this morning. Gary Robertson was almost creaming himself with the results of a survey which proved that 14-17 year olds were pro unionist/ anti-independence. This was then followed up with a report that a survey showed Scots schoolkids thought cheese came from plants, fish-fingers are made of chicken and tomatoes grow underground. Oh, the irony.

I think his point is that there are incidents when teachers are extremely unprofessional, i.e. engage in relationships with their pupils. So if there are a small number of incidents where teachers are prepared to put their professionalism aside for something like that, what makes you think they'll stay neutral on a poxy referendum?

I think he knew that. He was just being obtuse.

Skimmed this story earlier, was it reported the whereabouts of these children?

I read 'poll conducted by Edinburgh University', and instantly thought - Watsons, Heriots, Fettes College, Lorretto and Merchiston Castle.

Edinburghs version of Madras, St Andrews poll.

Archived