Independence - how would you vote?

Wee Bully

Independence - how would you vote  

1,135 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It isn't a hard question. Are we a successor state of the CDU? You say we are going to get a share of the assets, so therefore, are we a successor state?

No.

Quite why you have linked the two together, I have no idea.

• Replies 32k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For fucks sake! Of course intelligence, talent and a ten inch cock are all assets, but try defining that in law or in settlement. Why do you insist on being so deliberately obtuse?

Under the treaty of Vienna, successor states retain assets including treaties and membership of organisations. Like that kind of settlement?

I'm pretty certain you don't.

Incidentally, I could be wrong, but was it not you that schooled Ad Lib and HB on this issue on the last thread? Which no doubt they will have no memory of. Memory being such a fickle thing.

Incidentally, I could be wrong, but was it not you that schooled Ad Lib and HB on this issue on the last thread? Which no doubt they will have no memory of. Memory being such a fickle thing.

Nah, I didn't participate in the last thread.

Under the treaty of Vienna, successor states retain assets including treaties and membership of organisations. Like that kind of settlement?

The Vienna Convention isn't relevant as the UK isn't a signatory, and it's not customary international law.

I'm pretty certain you don't.

Well, you have already thoroughly embarrassed yourself on this thread on legal matters, so it's no surprise that you are willing to do so again.

The Vienna Convention isn't relevant as the UK isn't a signatory, and it's not customary international law.

Really? Really now? Thats funny, because you and Ad Lib haven't been shy in mentioning it, have you?

Well, you have already thoroughly embarrassed yourself on this thread on legal matters, so it's no surprise that you are willing to do so again.

Wholly incorrect, I've barely mentioned legal matters, you're either thinking of someone else or making it up as badly as Better Together do.

Just for funsies though, perhaps you could link to exactly this part of the treaty.

So you're saying that the rump UK will deny Scotland successor state status?

Again, you understand nothing about this. Please stop.

It's not rUK who will deny Scotland successor state "status". rUK will seek to be recognised as the sole continuing state on Scotland's secession.

It's the international community who will determine the validity of this claim.

Scotland are welcome to seek to be the continuing state also. No one is stopping them from doing so.

Wholly incorrect, I've barely mentioned legal matters, you're either thinking of someone else or making it up as badly as Better Together do.

Yes, very good. Whilst I can understand why you wish to airbrush your contribution to this thread, let's look at your 11th April contribution shall we :-

"As far as NATO and the EU go, either there are two successor states and we have automatic/negotiated membership or we're a completely new nation with none of the obligations and treaties of the UK, which means we have none of the debt either. The truth is that there will be a ton of negotiation and quid pro quo and we'll end up with membership of both and a fair share of the debt."

Anyone else have the feeling that christmas has just come early on this thread! :lol:

I wonder if Ad Lib, a man who has cited the Vienna Convention many, many, many times will disagree with his fellow law expert?

Again, you understand nothing about this. Please stop.

It's not rUK who will deny Scotland successor state "status". rUK will seek to be recognised as the sole continuing state on Scotland's secession.

It's the international community who will determine the validity of this claim.

Scotland are welcome to seek to be the continuing state also. No one is stopping them from doing so.

You don't know what a continuator state is, do you? A continuator state is a continuation of the current state (will continue to use the name "UK" for instance), a successor state succeeds the old state but inherits a share of the assets. Including treaties and membership of international bodies.

I wonder if Ad Lib, a man who has cited the Vienna Convention many, many, many times will disagree with his fellow law expert?

He won't. Ad Lib is well aware that the Vienna Convention doesn't bind the UK, as we are not a signatory.

Whilst I, at some point in the past, mistook one iteration of the Vienna Convention for another, the former which the UK had ratified but the latter which they hadn't, I admitted my mistake immediately, and withdrew that specific line of my argument, continuing to rely on the international legal norms not enunciated in specific treaties, but which broadly correlates anyway, and which at no point ever endorsed Scheffer's "continuator state theory" that has zero basis in law or precedent. Note that this experience conflicts with a long-standing claim of xbl's, never retracted, that I don't fess up when I get things wrong. On the other hand, when he makes a false statement, and gets called out on it, his record is very poor indeed.

H_B, on the other hand, never sought to rely on the Vienna Convention to argue the (non)continuation of international rights and duties following an independence event. He relied solely on the precedents and normative legal framework.

I am not drawing arbitrary lines as to what are assets. There is a difference between being an asset in the political sense (e.g. "He's a cracking Secretary of State who enhances our international image: he's a real asset"), and being an actual asset when we're talking about the division, in law, of assets and liabilities between sovereign states (e.g. "That gold is worth £36billion and those RBS shares are worth £0.50. I want 10% of them or the proceeds").

Archived