Independence - how would you vote?

Wee Bully

Independence - how would you vote  

1,135 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Oh, and:

"SCOTLAND can legally walk away from its share of the UKs debt mountain and start independence with a clean slate, according to a top constitutional expert.

Lawyer Dr Matt Qvortrup says the nation could begin its life outside the union unshackled from a £125BILLION overdraft equivalent to four years spending at Holyrood.

And the world-renowned academic believes his findings, based on studies of historic state separations, could have a massive impact on the independence debate."

Debt free Scotland. :D

www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/scotlandfeatures/4924051/Expert-Scotland-can-legally-leave-the-UK-and-be-debt-free.html

• Replies 32k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The seceding state and the rump state would have to negotiate an agreement on how they wished to share the rights and obligations of the predecessor state. If they did not meet their joint obligations, both could be expelled by the international organisation."

"The legal position taken by Barroso - and van Rompuy has no basis in the European treaties.

:lol:

What barefaced cheek. Invents a completely ludicrous scenario utterly without precedent or basis in the European treaties in one breath, then bemoans the Barroso poistion as, erm, having no basis in the European treaties.

Oh, and:

"SCOTLAND can legally walk away from its share of the UKs debt mountain and start independence with a clean slate, according to a top constitutional expert.

Lawyer Dr Matt Qvortrup says the nation could begin its life outside the union unshackled from a £125BILLION overdraft equivalent to four years spending at Holyrood.

And the world-renowned academic believes his findings, based on studies of historic state separations, could have a massive impact on the independence debate."

Debt free Scotland. :D

www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/scotlandfeatures/4924051/Expert-Scotland-can-legally-leave-the-UK-and-be-debt-free.html

Ah yes. Matt Qvortrup. An expert indeed!

http://lallandspeatworrier.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/matt-qvortrup-numpty.html

He is merely restating the already known position that international law cannot compel the new state to take on any portion of the debts, which were run up by the previous state. The article is wrong though, especially concerning the Soviet Union.

The Ukraine took on 16.7% of the debts of the Soviet union on breakup, despite Russia being the sole continuing state.

:lol:

I forgot that you were the world authority on all things law.

No, i'm just not thick and i learned to read when i was 3. Which helps in these matters.

No, David Scheffer is a clown.

Qvortrup has a history of being spectacularly wrong, as evidenced by his shredding by the Nat blogger in 2012. I haven't read his paper being breathlessly reported by the Sun. Parts of what he says in the excerpts are true though, but parts are not.

There is zero chance of New Scotland choosing to not negotiate a share of the UK's debts. Absolutely zero. For obvious reasons. If they aren't obvious to everyone, then consider why the Ukraine took on 16% of the Soviet Union's debts.

Good news that a favourable article is in the mainstream press that will have the bitters choking on there museli,but im of the opinion that we should take our fair share of the bad and the good stuff

Its also quite funny to see hb scrambling on a sunday morning

Good news that a favourable article is in the mainstream press that will have the bitters choking on there museli,but im of the opinion that we should take our fair share of the bad and the good stuff

It's not really an option. The interesting question is how the debt is divided, not whether it will be divided. There are a number of possible scenarios concerning GDP, population etc, which could lead to very different settlements.

And in what way am i "scrambling"?

Its also quite funny to see hb scrambling on a sunday morning

Ah, but we've been told we won't be getting the good, so why accept the bad? Its a good start to negotiations.

It's not really an option. The interesting question is how the debt is divided, not whether it will be divided. There are a number of possible scenarios concerning GDP, population etc, which could lead to very different settlements.

And in what way am i "scrambling"?

I never mentioned it being an option

Ah, but we've been told we won't be getting the good, so why accept the bad? Its a good start to negotiations.

Exactly thats why its good to see the article,in a murdoch paper aswell

None of the assets, a share of the liabilities.

Yes, you said that in the post above. I'm curious as to where you got it from? Who said it?

If you move the gearstick down a bit, you will find reverse. That's it.

Just out of interest, in the coming almost 500 days, just how many times will you repeat this lie?

We could have a sweepstake.

If you move the gearstick down a bit, you will find reverse. That's it.

Just out of interest, in the coming almost 500 days, just how many times will you repeat this lie?

We could have a sweepstake.

I refer you to my signature.

Archived