Independence - how would you vote?

Wee Bully

Independence - how would you vote  

1,135 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 32k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Citizen - I want to be part of the European Union.

Government - Good. Here's your new money.

Citizen - Errrr....

Yeah, I don't think anyone outside you and your band of little Englander loonies actually conceives the above as representative of European integration.

Come back when you grasp how representative democracy works, then you'll be able to correct your lies in a humble manner.

Yeah, I don't think anyone outside you and your band of little Englander loonies actually conceives the above as representative of European integration.

Come back when you grasp how representative democracy works, then you'll be able to correct your lies in a humble manner.

k.

Citizen - I want to be part of the European Union.

Government - Good. Here's your new money.

Citizen - Errrr....

Angels on the head of a pin right enough. :1eye

Are you talking about the European Spatial Development Perspective which helps to inform where the bulk of the European Structure Fund will be spent? Predominantly in areas outside of the EU economic core between London, Paris, Milan, Munich and Hamburg. You see, the EU is trying to create a more polycentric economic model and that's the biggest reason why guys like Lord Lawson are throwing their toys out the pram.

So, I'm assuming the "Errrr...." is the citizen of a peripheral region messing his trousers with delight.

Are you talking about the European Spatial Development Perspective which helps to inform where the bulk of the European Structure Fund will be spent? Predominantly in areas outside of the EU economic core between London, Paris, Milan, Munich and Hamburg. You see, the EU is trying to create a more polycentric economic model and that's the biggest reason why guys like Lord Lawson are throwing their toys out the pram.

So, I'm assuming the "Errrr...." is the citizen of a peripheral region messing his trousers with delight.

Ah. Yes, it's great to see Lisbon, Athens and Dublin doing so well from their Euro membership. Polycentricity eh? Like when the Dublin budget is perused in Berlin before the Irish parliament gets a look? That kind of decentralisation?

No. By new money he's talking about the Euro.

Ah. Yes, it's great to see Lisbon, Athens and Dublin doing so well from their Euro membership. Polycentricity eh? Like when the Dublin budget is perused in Berlin before the Irish parliament gets a look? That kind of decentralisation?

Makes you wonder why they haven't left really, doesn't it?

When did I mention the Euro? We aren't joining the Euro. We may may need to say we're going to join it at some point in the future, but there's no way that the EU is going to force anyone. Especially after what happened with the Greek economy.

London is all that matters to Westminster. That isn't going to change. Superheating mature markets until they collapse/building better transport links to allow for a higher temperature and a bigger oven is, along with deregulation of the financial sector, the biggest reason for the collapse in 2008. Guess what Westminster thinks is the ticket out of this mess?

It's funny that the Germans are among the biggest advocates for a polycentric European economy when they might have the most to lose out of it.

So the choice is the Central Place Theory on an international scale where people migrate to London/Milan/Munich from around Europe and these economic centres get stronger and stronger while those on the periphery shrink in population (destroying property value), and the ability to compete as the best will leave. Or we try to encourage smaller cities to become economically competitive and therefore encourage stronger communication and trade links.

Oh, and I know he was talking about the Euro. I was just bored with this line of argument that has been crushed ad nauseum. Thought we might want to talk about something else for a change.

EDIT: Apologies for the near Ad Libyan length of the post.

Makes you wonder why they haven't left really, doesn't it?

Fear of chaos of decoupling, largely. Weak Euro states are worried that they won't be able to get any credit at all is Germany pulls rank and only helps those who stay. Not that the credit they're actually getting is in any sense helping them just now...

The irony is amongst my Irish in-laws and the few mates still there is that, yes, the troika have made things hard. But they see it as a necessary evil. The real ire is saved for Brian Cowen and particularly Bertie Ahern for the total recklessness during the 'celtic tiger' years.

All the cronyism and offshore account nonsense which has led to NAMA and the nationalisation of all the banks is seen as being caused by Fianna Fail. Kenny gets flak as he's left to deal with the aftermath.

Now, some of this is understandable and has some truth. But the Irish people went fucking mental on ironically, borrowed German cash. A lot of them still deny this. The amount of Southfork ranches and ghost estates is frightening.

They're still big Europhiles and see the troika as running the country better than the 'crooks' they happily voted for at the time!

Archived