Independence - how would you vote?

Wee Bully

Independence - how would you vote  

1,135 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

More than 60% of people do not think SNP leader Alex Salmond and his party have made a convincing case for independence so far, according to a poll.

Better Together leader Alistair Darling said: “The SNP have no answers on basic questions like which currency we would use or who would pay for our pensions.

“Their case is falling apart day by day.”

Simmer down.

if people would pay the slightest bit of attention they would know that the timescale for detailed pronouncements on this type of issue are in the autumn when the White Paper on the full case for independence will be published.

the unionists are struggling manfully to keep their powder dry until then.

• Replies 32k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats not what that leaflet says. You know the one that you said you agreed with. Stated that the candidate was from Scotland as a negative. If they wanted to make the point that she wasn't local say that. A positive is just to promote their candadate as a local.

For your information that is bigoted.

I've one of the leaflets right here with me mate.

Title.

"Who will really work for YOU?"

Then on the left side it states the strong points of the Lib Dem candidate then on the other side of the fence (important!There actually is a picture of a garden fence) is how the Lib Dems see the Labour candidates weakness' in comparison.

Eg.

Labour Candidate.

"Born and raised in Bristol,went to local schools.Lives in this area,uses local shops,buses and services.

Labour candidate (other side of fence) as the Lib Dems see things.

"Lived in Scotland for most of her life,now lives in St Pauls.Used to pass through this area on the bus to university.

Get it Sons Superhero?

There are other points made on the Lib Dem side of the fence and again how they see the Labour candidate on the same issues.

The Lib Dems case looks strong and I think they will win.

xbl is threatening repercussions when he doesn't get his way next year. That should be quite funny to watch after the initial handwringing from the nats about where it all went wrong dies away.

I'm realistic about the vote and I know it's unlikely, but let's be honest, if people vote no it's because they are utter fucking morons. There's no other explanation needed tbh.

More than 60% of people do not think SNP leader Alex Salmond and his party have made a convincing case for independence so far, according to a poll.

Better Together leader Alistair Darling said: The SNP have no answers on basic questions like which currency we would use or who would pay for our pensions.

Their case is falling apart day by day.

Alistair 'The Donkey' Darling. :lol:

He's the same man who said that Scotland would be fine with independence. :lol:

I'm realistic about the vote and I know it's unlikely, but let's be honest, if people vote no it's because they are utter fucking morons. There's no other explanation needed tbh.

Do you get asked regularly to speak on behalf of the SNP by chance,maybe a spot of door to door?

I know fine well what it looks like now but you know as well as I do that anything could happen in 17 months.

You know what though, you might just be right for once.

It would need to be absolutely seismic now.

I am right on this one. I'm also going to be right that the Tories cant win the next general election.

I was also right that the bond yields of Italy started the Eurozone crisis. I'm right about lots of things, you shouldn't take your patter from children like XBL and his clownshoe hingers oan.

You're reading too much into it. The reason Scotland is cited is just to mean "somewhere far away. Not here. Not local." Lib Dems make hay of local credentials all the time. See the Eastleigh by-election, for example. The campaign made a big deal out of the fact that the Tory candidate didn't even live in the constituency, and only stood in Eastleigh because she lost in the next county at the General Election.

A general statement and a positive point would be the libdem being promoted as local. Stating the other candidate is from Scotland is bigoted.

If a candidate in the upcoming by-election happens to be English or Welsh and that is used as a negative during the run up all hell would break out.

You're reading too much into it. The reason Scotland is cited is just to mean "somewhere far away. Not here. Not local." Lib Dems make hay of local credentials all the time. See the Eastleigh by-election, for example. The campaign made a big deal out of the fact that the Tory candidate didn't even live in the constituency, and only stood in Eastleigh because she lost in the next county at the General Election.

I agree. Its a good campaigning tactic by the libdems, particularly when the other two parties tend to parachute some nodding dog into seats. It has done them a turn for many years now and once they get their teeth into a constituency area they are very very hard to shift.

A general statement and a positive point would be the libdem being promoted as local. Stating the other candidate is from Scotland is bigoted.

If a candidate in the upcoming by-election happens to be English or Welsh and that is used as a negative during the run up all hell would break out.

Away and dribble shite on wings or newsnat. You'll get plenty of fucked up kilted wonders to high five you there.

It wasn't that they were "Scottish". It was that they were "from Scotland". Must try harder. It is not bigoted to question someone's local credentials by pointing out they lived somewhere else, several hundreds of miles away, for most of their adult life.

The candidate's identity was not in question. Their dedication to the local area was. Much like it's legitimate to make political capital out of English Tories "talking Scotland down" in the referendum campaign.

I've one of the leaflets right here with me mate.

Title.

"Who will really work for YOU?"

Then on the left side it states the strong points of the Lib Dem candidate then on the other side of the fence (important!There actually is a picture of a garden fence) is how the Lib Dems see the Labour candidates weakness' in comparison.

Eg.

Labour Candidate.

"Born and raised in Bristol,went to local schools.Lives in this area,uses local shops,buses and services.

Labour candidate (other side of fence) as the Lib Dems see things.

"Lived in Scotland for most of her life,now lives in St Pauls.Used to pass through this area on the bus to university.

Get it Sons Superhero?

There are other points made on the Lib Dem side of the fence and again how they see the Labour candidate on the same issues.

The Lib Dems case looks strong and I think they will win.

I get it no need to say she lived on Scotland most of her life. All they had to say was she hasn't lived in the area for most of her life. As I've said bigoted.

It wasn't that they were "Scottish". It was that they were "from Scotland". Must try harder. It is not bigoted to question someone's local credentials by pointing out they lived somewhere else, several hundreds of miles away, for most of their adult life.

The candidate's identity was not in question. Their dedication to the local area was. Much like it's legitimate to make political capital out of English Tories "talking Scotland down" in the referendum campaign.

What if the candidate lived most of their life in Jamaca or Somalia or Germany?

Why though? I mean many companies operating in this country are Indian owned, French owned, American owned etc. etc.

Fair question, I have no idea why I would treat this any differently.

Are you saying that independence will have no impact on my employment?

Fair question, I have no idea why I would treat this any differently.

Are you saying that independence will have no impact on my employment?

Don't you know that if we Scotch vote for independence, a supermassive black hole will open up and devour us all. :rolleyes:

http://www.susancalman.com/category/blog

Apparently Susan Calman got a lot of online grief about her appearence on the News Quiz on Radio 4. What did she say?

Just the usual, a Scot goes on Radio 4 and jumps Jimmy McCrow, totally over-simplifying the currency debate, for example. (I know it's a supposedly satirical quiz but saying things like "Salmond said it would definitely be the Euro" - which never happened - isn't satire. It's lying.)

If people are going over the top with their criticism and levelling sexist insults at her, I completely disagree with that... but at the same time, if you go on the most Establishment radio station in the country and come out with jokes about Lulu for the largely pro-union audience, people are more than entitled to criticise you in a civil manner.

Oh, and I think Susan Calman is pretty funny in general, just for full disclosure.

People can make up their own mind on the general tenor of her and the rest of the guests' comments here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01s0ss6

Archived