Independence - how would you vote?

Wee Bully

Independence - how would you vote  

1,135 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 32k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm round at my maw's for dinner, she ticks all the boxes of the 'most likely to vote No' demographic but I'd pretty much talked her round. And it turns out she went to a Yes Campaign event down in the local girl guide hut after getting a leaflet through the door and is now totally convinced.

Even her mate who moved to Scotland from England a few years ago who she went to this with and who thought independence was pretty much the daftest idea ever was almost turned.

Pleasing.

I'm round at my maw's for dinner, she ticks all the boxes of the 'most likely to vote No' demographic but I'd pretty much talked her round. And it turns out she went to a Yes Campaign event down in the local girl guide hut after getting a leaflet through the door and is now totally convinced. Even her mate who moved to Scotland from England a few years ago who she went to this with and who thought independence was pretty much the daftest idea ever was almost turned. Pleasing.

Good work.

I've talked a relative and a pal into voting Yes too but I think the Yes team need to get focussing on the women. A lot of women seem to trott out the ''Independence is a stupid idea'' line without ever backing it up. The lady down the road came away with ''This country is going down the tubes and Independence won't save us''.

I need to start working on the ones who have never voted a day in their life. I know a guy who's 30 and has never voted once for anything, but says he's voting Yes next year. With our turnout so low suppose in elections there we must all know a few folk like that.

Looking forward to the next few polls coming out. Maybe it's blind optimism but I believe they will start shifting in the Yes' favour by a point here or there and if they get into the 40s before the turn of the year, I think we could be looking at a win.

f**k, imagine the party if we voted Yes in 18 months.

Good work.

I've talked a relative and a pal into voting Yes too but I think the Yes team need to get focussing on the women. A lot of women seem to trott out the ''Independence is a stupid idea'' line without ever backing it up. The lady down the road came away with ''This country is going down the tubes and Independence won't save us''.

I need to start working on the ones who have never voted a day in their life. I know a guy who's 30 and has never voted once for anything, but says he's voting Yes next year. With our turnout so low suppose in elections there we must all know a few folk like that.

I'm sure you didn't mean that the way it sounds.

Looking forward to the next few polls coming out. Maybe it's blind optimism but I believe they will start shifting in the Yes' favour by a point here or there and if they get into the 40s before the turn of the year, I think we could be looking at a win.

f**k, imagine the party if we voted Yes in 18 months.

I think we'll get at least 40% in polls by the end of the year. I've said on here that I think if we get to 41%, we'll win.

There is some amount of tedious shite being spouted on this thread from both camps, which I think do nothing but cloud the issues and put off the less engaged voter as it becomes overly complicated. It's pretty straightforward......do you want your country to have the right to self-determination or are you happy with another country making our decisions for us. Financially we are viable, and everything else is incidental or up for negotiation.

18 long months to go but I'm becoming more and more confident that the electorate will wake up and smell the coffee and vote YES in September 2014

There is some amount of tedious shite being spouted on this thread from both camps, which I think do nothing but cloud the issues and put off the less engaged voter as it becomes overly complicated. It's pretty straightforward......do you want your country to have the right to self-determination or are you happy with another country making our decisions for us. Financially we are viable, and everything else is incidental or up for negotiation.

18 long months to go but I'm becoming more and more confident that the electorate will wake up and smell the coffee and vote YES in September 2014

It's more subtle than that. We don't ask "another country" to make decisions for us. Scotland is a part of the state that makes decisions for it about things like international relations. It's about which state structure we think best allows us to make political decisions in conformity with the broad democratic will of the geopolitical units the inhabitants of these islands feel most engaged with.

People should vote Yes, because independence is the only credible hope, at the moment, of breaking up, even if partially, the Westminster/central government hegemony of a very diverse state and group of people, that needs more flexibility in the way it makes decisions. An independent Scotland is the starting point, and it is just that, to making it easier for communities to regain control of and responsibility for their own destiny, their economic regeneration, their public services and their taxation.

It's more subtle than that. We don't ask "another country" to make decisions for us. Scotland is a part of the state that makes decisions for it about things like international relations. It's about which state structure we think best allows us to make political decisions in conformity with the broad democratic will of the geopolitical units the inhabitants of these islands feel most engaged with.

People should vote Yes, because independence is the only credible hope, at the moment, of breaking up, even if partially, the Westminster/central government hegemony of a very diverse state and group of people, that needs more flexibility in the way it makes decisions. An independent Scotland is the starting point, and it is just that, to making it easier for communities to regain control of and responsibility for their own destiny, their economic regeneration, their public services and their taxation.

Quite. There are enough good arguments for Independence that there's really no room for the kind of "occupied by another country" level bullshit like this.

By all means advance the argument for more localised decision making, but pretending that Westminster is enforcing legislation as some sort of external power is just ludicrous.

That may be possibly the worst presented Yes argument I have ever seen.

Again, too many big words in a row that had me bored before I got to the end of the 1st paragraph. I understand that we have a say in how the state is run but, our say is minuscule in comparison to that of England's. The only way we can have a bigger say in all decisions effecting Scotland is through Independence.

Quite. There are enough good arguments for Independence that there's really no room for the kind of "occupied by another country" level bullshit like this.

Who said "occupied by another country" at any point?

I think we'll get at least 40% in polls by the end of the year. I've said on here that I think if we get to 41%, we'll win.

Don't get your logic.

Currently the polls (average out at) YES 34% NO 48% Unsure 18%. If by the end of the year we're sitting with YES 41% NO 57% unsure 2% I wouldn't suggest progress has been made.

Re women voting - three lassies who were in my year at School have all liked Yes Scotland on Facebook in just the past couple of days. I was quite surprised to be honest, as I would have expected them to be your stereotypical staunch unionists, with no real foundation as to why they would vote no.

You said "are you happy with another country making our decisions for us"

This is absolute bullshit.

Are you saying that Scotland and the UK are the same country :unsure: ... yes or no

You said "are you happy with another country making our decisions for us"

This is absolute bullshit.

No it's not. Every person in Scotland could vote the same way on any given issue, and the outcome would still be dependant on how England/The English felt on the issue. Yes, we have MPs at Westminster but England has far more, therefore our decisions are made for us.

Archived