Independence - how would you vote?

Wee Bully

Independence - how would you vote  

1,135 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I remember doing an online poll a wee while ago that someone posted trying to do research on linking Scottish football teams to political opinions for some tinpot uni degree. Anyone remember it or heard anything from it?

• Replies 32k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, that'd be opinion polls. Independence is one issue, people vote in elections for a multitude of reasons.

Indeed.

Which is why the SNP vote in the Holyrood elections is also completely meaningless when support for Independence is being calculated.

Indeed.

Which is why the SNP vote in the Holyrood elections is also completely meaningless when support for Independence is being calculated.

Indeed.

And don't forget local council elections and European Parliament elections. I feel it's neccesary to point out that they too ar meaningless when support for independence is being calculated.

Indeed.

And don't forget local council elections and European Parliament elections. I feel it's neccesary to point out that they too ar meaningless when support for independence is being calculated.

It's actually quite interesting, well to me anyway.

It explains why Tony Blair won an election easily even after people knew he was a liar, and the Iraq campaign was turning to shit.

Regards the football link to the "No vote". I've noticed recently that I know quite a lot of Celtic fans who are devout "Brits out of Ireland" types, but do not support Independence for Scotland. I'm still waiting on a decent explanation on their positions there.

Regards the football link to the "No vote". I've noticed recently that I know quite a lot of Celtic fans who are devout "Brits out of Ireland" types, but do not support Independence for Scotland. I'm still waiting on a decent explanation on their positions there.

I'd hazard a guess that it's because they're fucking idiots.

There are a LOT of them. I've always found Celtic fans to be less open to the idea of Scottish independence than their Rangers equivalents. Not as bad as St. Mirren obviously.

There are a LOT of them. I've always found Celtic fans to be less open to the idea of Scottish independence than their Rangers equivalents. Not as bad as St. Mirren obviously.

Before long St Mirren will get invited to the Rangers - Linfield pre-season friendlies in Belfast.

I'd hazard a guess that it's because they're fucking idiots.

I offered that as an explanation to a couple of them. I don't think they're talking to me now. No real loss.

I was very surprised by just how many there are. The folk I know in that position seem to be split down the "I'm no voting for the SNP" line, which marks them out as even more of a clueless f*cking idiot, and the "Too wee and stupid" line, which apparently Ireland is not despite there being plenty of evidence that would support the view that Scotland would be in a far better financial position than Ireland in the event of becoming independent. No reasoning with them though.

I actually don't think the yes vote will carry, sadly, but I live in hope that if I do return to Scotland in future that it will be standing on it's own two feet.

So we are all agreed that the only reliable opinion polls are the ones taken at funerals in Ayrshire?

Pretty much. The same way that support for the EU can acurately be gauged at ayrmad's local pub.

So we are all agreed that the only reliable opinion polls are the ones taken at funerals in Ayrshire?

We're also saying the team people support is a reliable indicator so average home attendances should work.

When I see someone basing their no vote on wanting to keep Scotland 'British', my first thought is that they support one of the 'staunch' clubs (St. Mirren, Airdrie, Rangers, Hearts.) This works remarkably well.

I've lost track of the number of times you have came out with that nonsense.

In my limited experience, Celtic fans are even more against Scottish independence than Rangers. The descending order for Unionist clubs is roughly:

Hearts

Airdrie

St. Mirren

Celtic

Rangers

Of these, Celtic fans generally have differing motivations from the other four but will be voting No nonetheless.

romanovpalm.png

I wouldn't be so inclined to put Hearts on the staunch list*. Mine would be:

1. St Mirren (staunchest of the staunch)

2. Celtic ("Go home British soldiers - no, wait, Stay here British soldiers")

3. Airdrie (Fairly staunch)

4. Rangers (To be fair, they are more likely than the 3 clubs above to identify as Scottish)

* Look independence supporters disagreeing with each other! Compare that to all the Unionists tacitly agreeing with Tryfield.

A serious point for once. I see the poll at the top of this thread still shows that about 2/3 are in favour of independence, which obviously conflicts with public opinion polls. I've seen this repeated all over the place, for example the Dunfermline Press have an online poll this morning, that the nasty cybernats have taken over. When I voted on it 81% wanted independence, which is err.. a tad optimistic.

However, what appears to be clear, is that the independistas are more committed, more organised and more vocal than their seemingly numerically superior counterparts. That may well make a big difference, since it's one thing giving an opinion when asked and another actually being motivated enough to go and vote.

Archived