NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

26 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

The Manti Te'o documentary on Netflix was pretty good, IMO. Only vaguely remember the story at the time but feel really sorry for him, now.

As usual with these things, mostly truth, but also a lot of embellishment and hyperbole for the sake of entertainment.

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=http://theathletic.com/3495423/2022/08/15/chargers-brandon-staley-fourth-down

Interesting article on Brandon Staley, the extent to which he uses analytics, some of his rationale behind his decision making, and how he deals with the aftermath of the outcomes of his decisions.

I can't say I agree with everything he does, but he's a refreshing change from his overly cautious, timid predecessors, McCoy especially.

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=http://theathletic.com/3495423/2022/08/15/chargers-brandon-staley-fourth-down
Interesting article on Brandon Staley, the extent to which he uses analytics, some of his rationale behind his decision making, and how he deals with the aftermath of the outcomes of his decisions.
I can't say I agree with everything he does, but he's a refreshing change from his overly cautious, timid predecessors, McCoy especially.

I can’t wait for him to go for it on 4th and 15 from his own 5 yard game with 3 mins left in the first quarter.

He really has something against punters.

49 minutes ago, steelmen said:

I can’t wait for him to go for it on 4th and 15 from his own 5 yard game with 3 mins left in the first quarter.

He really has something against punters.

Well I think certain things might have changed now that the consistently awful Ty Long is gone, and they went out and deliberately sought a punter with a massive leg. It's clear from what's been happening in TC and the first preseason game that the intent wasn't to get a guy who can boot it long, but to get a guy with the leg to hang it up in the air forever and completely smother the returner. 

Scott's hangtime on Sunday was an average of 4.87 seconds, which is completely absurd, so much so that the coverage was usually down the field and standing around with the returner waiting for the ball to come down. I think that's pretty clearly going to change some of the metrics when it comes to Staley figuring out his ruleset for specific games.

The other thing that should be a factor is that last season's D was utterly atrocious on 3rd down, and getting off the field in general. That should be improved this season, so if Staley can have a little more faith that the D will surrender fewer yards, give up fewer points, get the ball back to the O more regularly, and stop eating so much of the clock, then I think he'll be less inclined to go completely tonto on practically every 4th down.

I'd still expect him to go for it on practically every opportunity in the no mans land between the 40's, but we might see a few fewer throws of the dice with the Chargers deeper inside their own half.

Edited by Boo Khaki

I'm torn about this. He undoubtedly deserves it based on ability and the standard of his play when he's fit and healthy. He completely takes guys like Travis Kelce out of the game single-handedly, but he's also missed so much time due to injury that it's difficult not to worry that he's going down the Jason Verrett career path. Keenan Allen was the same for a while, but that's sorted itself out even if he isn't quite the player he was before the injuries, so as a Charger fan I think you just have to hope it was a bad luck streak rather than an indicator of the future.

1 hour ago, steelmen said:

loved the punt 'catch' where a member of his own team ran into him just as it was coming down.

Yeah, I think that may have scuppered any lingering chances for Dazz Newsome to make the roster tbh. Won't help him that Velus Jones is lightning fast either. 

6 hours ago, Brummie Clyde said:

I don't want to get too carried away, but I'm thinking Da Bears could be the first team to have the perfect season, including the Preseason

Dolphins, Lions, Falcons, and Jets over a four week stretch. If Chicago can't win at least one of those then they should really be booted out of the league.