NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

6 hours ago, Brummie Clyde said:

If he wants the spotlight, he should challenge Brett Favre to a duel.

Win-Win.

Was thinking about Favre this morning.

Saw a rumour on facebook that Panthers had approached Vikings, interested in Cousins, and it occurred to me the Vikes have previous as a retirement home for Packers QB's.

And yes, much as I like Cousins, I would take Rogers in a heartbeat.

San Fran seems possible, particularly if Lance isn't ready to go (as rumoured).

You'd imagine Green Bay would prefer him to go to the AFC if at all. And certainly not to a divisional rival.

Problem you'd have at Denver is that division is already stacked, unlike the NFC North right now.

I am obviously biased towards Denver but it would be amazing to see Rodgers, Maholmes, Herbert, and Carr go at each other during the regular season.

I do think Denver has the talent on offence to keep him happy and an extremely solid defence. Add to that we now have most of his coaching staff and the money to make it happen.

My issue is we are back to where we were with Manning. Getting a plaster, albeit a blooming good one, to cover the cracks for a few years. I just hope Paton can plan for the future better than elway did.

So Troy Aikman apparently heading to MNF, Al Michaels going to TNF also rumoured. Even though some of them annoyed me (Joe Buck) I liked the consistency of having the same guys on the big games every week, only major change since I started watching is Romo replacing Simms on CBS. Will be especially bad having SNF changed.

Was half considering the Bears trading for Golladay from the Giants. Maybe Quinn going the other way.

I know Golladay has bombed in New York, but Dan Jones isn't a good deep ball passer, whereas Fields is brilliant at deep throws and that's what Golladay thrives on.

However, seeing that Golladay is on over 21M for next year, think we should give it a pass.

Troy Aikman is my least favourite commentator, can't stand him.

Only cares about the QBs.

I’m not sure if it’s him I don’t like or the fact he does 90% of the cowboys games is the reason.

On that will all cowboys games be moved to Monday’s? As that’s all he seems to do. Bit like Willie Miller only doing Aberdeen games.

1 hour ago, steelmen said:

I’m not sure if it’s him I don’t like or the fact he does 90% of the cowboys games is the reason.

On that will all cowboys games be moved to Monday’s? As that’s all he seems to do. Bit like Willie Miller only doing Aberdeen games.

This is my issue with him too. He's actually OK on the non-Cowboys games but as mentioned above very QB-centric. Just take him off the fucking Cowboys. 

The USFL 2.0 owned by Fox Sports has completed it's initial draft. The draft like the XFL's initial draft in 2020 designated phases to a certain position group. First overall pick by the Michigan Panthers was QB Shea Patterson formerly of the Chiefs, BC Lions & Alouettes.

The league kicking off April 16th & running through July 3rd will consist of 8 teams across two divisions playing 10 games with the top two from each progressing to the playoffs. All teams are revivals of names that took part in the original USFL in the 80's.

South

Birmingham Stallions (Skip Holtz)
Houston Gamblers (Kevin Sumlin)
New Orleans Breakers (Larry Fedora)
Tampa Bay Bandits (Todd Haley)

North

Michigan Panthers (Jeff Fisher)
New Jersey Generals (Mike Riley)
Philadelphia Stars (Bart Andrus)
Pittsburgh Maulers (Kirby Wilson)

The initial season will be played in a centralized manner with all games in Birmingham, Alabama at either Protective Stadium or Legion Field. All tickets will be $10 with under 15's getting free admission.

Roster sizes are capped at 38 plus a 7 man practice squad.

Media rights split between Fox, NBC, Peacock & USA Network. The XFL was carried in the UK by BT Sport courtesy of it's partner ESPN having rights but with ESPN not having rights to the USFL unclear at this time if games will get shown in the UK. Maybe Sky get them on the cheap to fill airtime before the NFL season starts.

Here's hoping USFL 2.0 fares better than the XFL, AAF & several other 2nd tier American football leagues.

Edited by GNU_Linux

The USFL 2.0 owned by Fox Sports has completed it's initial draft. The draft like the XFL's initial draft in 2020 designated phases to a certain position group. First overall pick by the Michigan Panthers was QB Shea Patterson formerly of the Chiefs, BC Lions & Alouettes.

The league kicking off April 16th & running through July 3rd will consist of 8 teams across two divisions playing 10 games with the top two from each progressing to the playoffs. All teams are revivals of names that took part in the original USFL in the 80's.

South

Birmingham Stallions (Skip Holtz)
Houston Gamblers (Kevin Sumlin)
New Orleans Breakers (Larry Fedora)
Tampa Bay Bandits (Todd Haley)

North

Michigan Panthers (Jeff Fisher)
New Jersey Generals (Mike Riley)
Philadelphia Stars (Bart Andrus)
Pittsburgh Maulers (Kirby Wilson)

The initial season will be played in a centralized manner with all games in Birmingham, Alabama at either Protective Stadium or Legion Field. All tickets will be $10 with under 15's getting free admission.

Roster sizes are capped at 38 plus a 7 man practice squad.

Media rights split between Fox, NBC, Peacock & USA Network. The XFL was carried in the UK by BT Sport courtesy of it's partner ESPN having rights but with ESPN not having rights to the USFL unclear at this time if games will get shown in the UK. Maybe Sky get them on the cheap to fill airtime before the NFL season starts.

Here's hoping USFL 2.0 fares better than the XFL, AAF & several other 2nd tier American football leagues.
Would like it if it was more of a developmental League for the NFL. Like each team could be comprised of the practice squad players from an NFL Division. That would be 40 players to pick from and would give NFL teams more interest in watching, to see how their players get on.

Least the pricing seems sensible.

On 25/02/2022 at 04:14, Brummie Clyde said:

Would like it if it was more of a developmental League for the NFL. Like each team could be comprised of the practice squad players from an NFL Division. That would be 40 players to pick from and would give NFL teams more interest in watching, to see how their players get on.

Least the pricing seems sensible.

I wouldn't expect the NFL to ever have a deep system like MLB where all minor league players are contracted directly by the major league club & player counts can in theory run close to 300 per club (independent baseball not withstanding). The more likely is a model like the NHL has with the AHL & ECHL where the minor league rosters are a mix of players designated by the major league teams plus players contracted directly to the minor league team.  Provides the best of both worlds giving game time to players who'd be down NFL depth charts not getting much game time & also provide pro football opportunities to players who NFL teams may not have an interest in.

Either way I'd like to see a non-NFL gridiron league in the US succeed as for pretty much forever the only alternative for a player to continue playing professionally outside of the NFL is the CFL. Compare that to MLB, NHL, NBA & MLS which have ample alternatives across the globe & at home.

Edited by GNU_Linux