NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

6 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Barstool Sports reporting that Spurs want to host the Superbowl in 2026, and that the NFL are at least open to giving it consideration.

The year the NFL take the Super Bowl out of America will be the same year St Mirren win the Champions League.

Bookmark this.

13 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Would have to be as late a kick off as possible to please west coast audiences 

Not that different to when London hosts boxing matches at midnight for the US market. I don't really agree with the UK hosting the Super Bowl, though. Given that well over half of Americans don't own passports it would make it even more difficult for genuine supporters to get to the game than the ridiculous prices already do.

10 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Not that different to when London hosts boxing matches at midnight for the US market. I don't really agree with the UK hosting the Super Bowl, though. Given that well over half of Americans don't own passports it would make it even more difficult for genuine supporters to get to the game than the ridiculous prices already do.

Iv zero desire for it to be over here. Just as I have zero desire to see a UK based franchise 

Hall of Fame newly electable candidates for next year include:-

Darelle Revis - Best Corner in my 20 years watching NFL
Joe Thomas - Will easily get in
James Harrison - Hmmm, debatable this one
Matt Fortè - Love him, but don't think he's a HoF
Kam Chancellor - Feels like he only played for about 2 seasons before being injured

I forget the rest

15 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Iv zero desire for it to be over here. Just as I have zero desire to see a UK based franchise 

IMHO there was never going to be a UK based franchise anyway. The NFL were very pro-active in promoting the London games, with Trafalgar Square fan festivals, taking over Regent Street, live bands pre-game, and hosting staged ‘tailgates’ in Wembley car parks… all of that has now ended, as the International Series has established, is successful, and now resembles a normal regular season game. My hunch is that while all the fan-fests, Trafalgar Square style stuff was still going on, part of the NFL rhetoric designed to boost visibility and awareness to the media and general British public,  involved taking a company line that said ‘oh yes, London could get a permanent team’… not for one minute did they actually want it, would allow it, or for any number of practical and logistical reasons, could it happen.

The expansion of the regular season to an extra game allows the extra game to be taken around the world. The UK, Mexico, Germany now. Can easily see Germany get more games in future, Japan next maybe?

I never wanted a London team. I wanted the London games to grow and be fully established fixtures in the NFL calendar, and involve the 32 teams that make up the NFL. I think a London team would ultimately have failed anyway, resulting in the death of the International Series and perhaps a return to pre-season ‘exhibition’ games at best still being played on British soil. 

9 hours ago, Brummie Clyde said:

Kam Chancellor - Feels like he only played for about 2 seasons before being injured

I forget the rest

If London Fletcher doesn't get in, any NFL fan older than 15 should riot.  L

16 hours ago, Brummie Clyde said:

I forget the rest

Matt Forte is never a HOF player. A very good running back but I’m not sure he was ever top 5 in any single season in his career and didn’t win any honours. No chance he gets in.

Thomas should be a first ballot. Revis possibly but I’d guess he’ll wait a few years. Not really sure about any of the others, but Harrison has the best chance.

10 hours ago, Nightmare said:

Thomas should be a first ballot. Revis possibly but I’d guess he’ll wait a few years. Not really sure about any of the others, but Harrison has the best chance.

Yes, this.

Pretty poor cohort of eligibles TBH, but that doesn't matter as there are still dozens of other more deserving players who have yet to be enshrined.

I'll continue my long-standing bewilderment at why Don Coryell is not in there, and yet again ask why Leslie O'Neal, who was third on the all-time sack list when he retired and had numbers on a par with Bruce Smith and Reggie White, never even gets a nomination to the initial list of candidates.

On 11/02/2022 at 13:12, GNU_Linux said:

What comes first another kicker/punter in the HOF or the heat death of the universe?

It's not as bad as it used to be. Ray Guy was probably the most dominant punter in history and it took him 28 years to get into the HOF. However Morten Anderson got in a few years ago and Adam Vinatieri must be lock when he becomes elegible in 2025.