NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

19 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Hate this idea. I’m sure the players won’t be overly happy about it either 

Players voted for it as part of the CBA, with a reduced pre-season meaning they don't actually play any more games. It's good for them, though. Another fixture equals more revenue, which means a larger cap and bigger contracts.

17 game season sounds great to me. My only complaint is that I'd rather they started earlier instead of moving the Super Bowl back a week. That way you could have a triple header on Labo(u)r Day, like Thanksgiving, which would be brilliant for the opening week.

58 minutes ago, Antiochas III said:

The International Series is being re-done.  UK reduced to two matches - both now hosted at Spurs.  Germany added in Europe and Mexico.  

Interesting, also every team has to host one before it starts again, so no teams (eg Jags) can play more than one home game every eight years and no team (eg Packers) can opt out altogether.

Seems to address some of the issues with fairness.

1 hour ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Interesting, also every team has to host one before it starts again, so no teams (eg Jags) can play more than one home game every eight years and no team (eg Packers) can opt out altogether.

Seems to address some of the issues with fairness.

I think the volunteers part means that they can play more often if they choose to.  4 games over 8 years = 64 teams so there must be teams playing more than every 8 years.

I took it to mean they would have volunteer to give up one home game every eight years... if each team plays one home and one away game every eight years that works out the right number of games.

I may be wrong, though!

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

30 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I took it to mean they would have volunteer to give up one home game every eight years... if each team plays one home and one away game every eight years that works out the right number of games.

I may be wrong, though!

You may be right but the way it states "still permitted" would indicate that there is a degree of choice.  Also the divisional and 1 opponent exclusion severly limits the games that can be held.  Also going to be a bit of a bummer if it happens that the occasions that your team is playing happens to be in Mexico!

5 minutes ago, steelmen said:

The Jags owner doesn’t like this.

Getting London tickets just got a whole lot harder.

What’s the Super Bowl bit all about?

Teams bidding for the superbowl had to agree to an international "home" fixture IIRC.

Edited by strichener

19 minutes ago, strichener said:

You may be right but the way it states "still permitted" would indicate that there is a degree of choice.  Also the divisional and 1 opponent exclusion severly limits the games that can be held.  Also going to be a bit of a bummer if it happens that the occasions that your team is playing happens to be in Mexico!

So long as it was fair it would be okay... so only one out of every four international games any team has is in Mexico, one is in Germany and two are in London. Be shit if your team plays one international game every four years (or less) and it is in Mexico two or three times in a row. I assume they would prevent that happening.

I suspect this is just for a few years while they gauge the effects of Covid on travel and attendances. Then I could see them keeping the Mexican and German games and going back up to four London games. Maybe adding another couple of games in Germany/Mexico/Canada/rest of UK or rest of Europe so as a whole conference plays an international game each season.

In the meantime, I'm thinking a weekend in Berlin or Munich taking in a German league game, a Bears and about a thousand pubs sounds class 🙂

Edited by Bully Wee Villa