NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

Well that's Lawrence stating his intention to enter the NFL Draft. What are the odds he actually makes it to a second contract in Jax? [emoji3]

Who says he even go’s there? This Ohio State kids stock has shot up after the CFP Semi final

I don't think he'll go above a three-year productive starter, unless Lawrence interviews like a gimp, hurts himself between now and the draft, or totally flames out at the combine. Certainly makes #2 a much more valued pick that it might have been a few months ago though.

Edited by Boo Khaki

Deshaun Watson trade rumours?! If true there should be a queue of clubs ready to give the Texans what they want. Knowing their history of the Hopkins deal they won't be difficult to deal with. 😂😂

3 first round picks + other considerations apparently. Would you?

On balance I probably would, he's that good. Top 4 or 5 qb's don't come round that often, especially at his age. There's plenty of examples out there of teams squandering 1st round picks, with this deal you get a proven player but still with massive upside and potential to come.

Pittsburgh or Atlanta for example immediately spring to mind as possibilities that already have qb's on big contracts that won't be there forever and have enough talent at receiver / tight end to be appealing for Watson to go to. 

Edited by BukyOHare

4 hours ago, BukyOHare said:

Deshaun Watson trade rumours?! If true there should be a queue of clubs ready to give the Texans what they want. Knowing their history of the Hopkins deal they won't be difficult to deal with. 😂😂

On balance I probably would, he's that good. Top 4 or 5 qb's don't come round that often, especially at his age. There's plenty of examples out there of teams squandering 1st round picks, with this deal you get a proven player but still with massive upside and potential to come.

Pittsburgh or Atlanta for example immediately spring to mind as possibilities that already have qb's on big contracts that won't be there forever and have enough talent at receiver / tight end to be appealing for Watson to go to. 

3 first round picks 😂

Watson is an OK quarterback but he isn't a great QB.  The great quarterbacks carry their team to wins despite the lack of talent ona roster. They elevate run of the mill players into elite talent.  Deshaun doesn't come close to carrying that team.  Just look at him after the first colts game where he sat with a towel over his head for about 5 minutes.

Only an idiot of a GM would part with 3 first rounders for Watson.

1 hour ago, strichener said:

3 first round picks 😂

Watson is an OK quarterback but he isn't a great QB.  The great quarterbacks carry their team to wins despite the lack of talent ona roster. They elevate run of the mill players into elite talent.  Deshaun doesn't come close to carrying that team.  Just look at him after the first colts game where he sat with a towel over his head for about 5 minutes.

Only an idiot of a GM would part with 3 first rounders for Watson.

That's your opinion fair enough. I don't quite know how you carry a team that has luminaries like Keke Coutee, Brandin Cooks, a washed up Randall Cobb and loses Will Fuller to suspension. Fells and Akins at tight end and an almost non existent running game either. Oh and trades away the best receiver in the game as well, yet still has more passing yards this season than any other quarterback in the league. 

This is a terrible Texans roster but Watson is elite. Watch what teams would give up for him if he is available. 

There's a lot of first round picks that aren't successful. Watson, in my opinion, is a top player and you could have 3 first round picks at quarterback and not get anyone near him. 

All about opinions though. 

Some of Watson's numbers from his 16 games this season (league ranking in brackets) :

301.4 YPG (2nd) 

70.2% completion (3rd)

7.1 avg CAY (5th)

1.3 INT% (4th)

30.13 OVM (2nd)

444 rush yards by qb (6th) 

All with the players I've listed, a below average O line and not much better Defence either. You could say he's carried this team, literally. 

And I forgot to include dinosaurs like Bill O'Brien and Romeo Crenell overseeing the above shambles as headcoach well. Imagine what he'd do in a team with a Sean McDermott, Andy Reid or Sean Payton behind him. 

An ok quarterback. 😂😂😂

Edited by BukyOHare

47 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

DeShaun Watson is a top 5 quarterback. He's much more than "ok".

This season he has played significant amounts of garbage time.  As the most Important position in the game and the one that has the most influence in a game, it is crazy to say that the leader of a team that finished 4-12 this season and is 28-25 in his career is a top 5 quarterback.  He may have the ability to be a top 5 quarterback but no way is he in that club just now.  

8 hours ago, BukyOHare said:

Teams like Atlanta have far too many holes to be giving up 3 years of #1's, and it's not the sort of thing a competitive franchise can do either if they want to remain competitive. High draft picks are an essential part of building a contender these days, unless you're NE who can't draft for shit and just rely on your QB and scheme to see you through.

If there was that sort of market for Watson, it would likely only be a team that is absolutely stacked but lacks a QB, with a front office that is happy to sink the future in an all out 'win right now' attempt at a Championship. You're not getting the guy on his rookie contract because he signed an extension last season, so it's not like he'd even be a one year cheap rental that you can re-sign. If a team genuinely wanted him as their long-term QB, you might be able to get a couple of 1st's or a 1st and a selection of lower round choices and players for him, but I don't think the market would be as big as you might think. It's just not viable to 'sell the farm' for single players in the NFL any more, not that it ever was anyway, but with the nature of the cap, rookie contracts, and NFL success being far more cyclical than it used to be, sensible teams are cherishing their picks more and more.

I've already said on here I think the best thing the Texans can do is go full scorched earth, so yes, from that perspective I'd be happy to trade him if I'm the Texans, I just don't see anyone paying 3x 1st's for him regardless of whether or not he's 'elite'.

Edited by Boo Khaki

6 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Teams like Atlanta have far too many holes to be giving up 3 years of #1's, and it's not the sort of thing a competitive franchise can do either if they want to remain competitive. High draft picks are an essential part of building a contender these days, unless you're NE who can't draft for shit and just rely on your QB and scheme to see you through.

If there was that sort of market for Watson, it would likely only be a team that is absolutely stacked but lacks a QB, with a front office that is happy to sink the future in an all out 'win right now' attempt at a Championship. You're not getting the guy on his rookie contract because he signed an extension last season, so it's not like he'd even be a one year cheap rental that you can re-sign. If a team genuinely wanted him as their long-term QB, you might be able to get a couple of 1st's or a 1st and a selection of lower round choices and players for him, but I don't think the market would be as big as you might think. It's just not viable to 'sell the farm' for single players in the NFL any more, not that it ever was anyway, but with the nature of the cap, rookie contracts, and NFL success being far more cyclical than it used to be, sensible teams are cherishing their picks more and more.

I've already said on here I think the best thing the Texans can do is go full scorched earth, so yes, from that perspective I'd be happy to trade him if I'm the Texans, I just don't see anyone paying 3x 1st's for him regardless of whether or not he's 'elite'.

Pittsburgh and New Orleans. 

1 hour ago, BukyOHare said:

Pittsburgh and New Orleans. 

Both seem like logical fits, but I don't know if either actually has the draft capital, or would be willing to give it up. I think if Watson were to go to either, it would probably only be in a scenario where he's caused an absolute shitstorm, the Texans are just desperate to dump him, and he gets shifted for something under his real value, like 1st and 2nd this year in exchange for Watson and Houston's 3rd or something.

I wonder if Lawrence goes #1 overall, the Jets become a possibility if they're not sold on Fields or can't trade down, but I think if it's  Lawrence #1, Fields at #2, then Miami would be silly not to try and work something out involving the #3 pick and Tua. I think that's a possibility pre-draft, because if they acquire Watson then what the Jags and Jets do at #1 & #2 is of no consequence to them anyway. I'm not certain Watson would really entertain a trade to Jax or NYJ anyway if he wants out of Houston because they're not looking like winning any time soon. I suppose that depends on just how desperate he is to get out, and whether he's willing to totally burn bridges in Texas and make it impossible for the Texans to hold on to him.

The first two are the only really poor teams with an excess draft picks, the Jets have Darnold as potential weight in a QB trade, Miami has picks and a young QB they could ship, and were arguably a  good vet QB away from being a serious contender for a deep playoff run this year. 

Edited by Boo Khaki