NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

Brian Baldinger, who sometimes appeared on Sky Sports, stumbled onto my Twitter feed after someone retweeted this video of a monster hit / block on Aaron Donald on Sunday:

What's the concensus of the p&b fans about the strictness of penalties these days?

I know this is a bit of a 'yer da' comment but as someone who drifts in and out in terms of following the nfl it just seems completely unreasonable.

Off sick from work at the moment so i watched the Monday night game this morning and some of the calls just baffled me. Let them play ffs.

As an aside I'm a giants fan and despite being absolutely stinking we look like we're in the driving position to make the playoffs. The nfc east really is an ugly division this year.

What's the concensus of the p&b fans about the strictness of penalties these days?

I know this is a bit of a 'yer da' comment but as someone who drifts in and out in terms of following the nfl it just seems completely unreasonable.

Off sick from work at the moment so i watched the Monday night game this morning and some of the calls just baffled me. Let them play ffs.

As an aside I'm a giants fan and despite being absolutely stinking we look like we're in the driving position to make the playoffs. The nfc east really is an ugly division this year.

The Giants have been on the end of some brutal calls this season, even in Sunday there was an DPI that set the Bengals up in the 1yard line that even the commentary team were baffled at. The standard of officiating in my opinion continues to regress each year. As you say just let them play. If it’s a clear hold or blow to the head then call it. If it’s clearly unintentional or it’s 2 players battling for the ball then let it go. The Lions were majorly screwed against the Packers last year for 2 hands to the face calls that were a disgrace

Far too much DPI and defensive holding in general. There are so many plays where the DB and WR and hands-fighting all the way down the field. If the ball is caught nothing happens. If it falls incomplete, a flag comes flying out of nowhere. There's a reason why passer ratings and completion percentages have universally climbed in the past 10-15 years, and it's not because QB's are universally superior. You have guys who are benched for poor play who are still 90 QBR passers, completing 60% of their passes, which would have been Pro-Bowl numbers 20 years ago. The passing game has been made progressively easier by rule changes, so it annoys me no end that offenses are also given by far and away the bigger share of the calls when it comes to officiating.

And "defenseless receiver' is a complete and utter joke. If you don't want brained, stop throwing hide/wide passes into the middle of the field where the receiver has to put himself at risk of a huge collision in order to catch it. Going back to the 80's and 90's, some of these throws and catches that the announcers gush over today would have seen the QB bollocked and benched for throwing hospital passes, but again, the NFL expects defenders to just pull up a deckchair, sit down, and watch the catch being completed before politely intervening to prevent the ball being advanced. It's not football any more, it's basically a game of backyard catch. The league is so utterly consumed by increasing passing yards and points totals that I think it's inevitable that there will come a time where any incomplete pass is by default a defensive penalty.

Roughing the passer is a big one too.  There does not seem to be a rule of what is and isn't.   

The other one that annoys me is they still allow QBs to slide to give themselves up despite technically at that point being a runner!  You want to leave the pocket, then by god you can take a hit...  RBs or WRs don't get that luxury.  

1 hour ago, Boo Khaki said:

Far too much DPI and defensive holding in general. There are so many plays where the DB and WR and hands-fighting all the way down the field. If the ball is caught nothing happens. If it falls incomplete, a flag comes flying out of nowhere. There's a reason why passer ratings and completion percentages have universally climbed in the past 10-15 years, and it's not because QB's are universally superior. You have guys who are benched for poor play who are still 90 QBR passers, completing 60% of their passes, which would have been Pro-Bowl numbers 20 years ago. The passing game has been made progressively easier by rule changes, so it annoys me no end that offenses are also given by far and away the bigger share of the calls when it comes to officiating.

And "defenseless receiver' is a complete and utter joke. If you don't want brained, stop throwing hide/wide passes into the middle of the field where the receiver has to put himself at risk of a huge collision in order to catch it. Going back to the 80's and 90's, some of these throws and catches that the announcers gush over today would have seen the QB bollocked and benched for throwing hospital passes, but again, the NFL expects defenders to just pull up a deckchair, sit down, and watch the catch being completed before politely intervening to prevent the ball being advanced. It's not football any more, it's basically a game of backyard catch. The league is so utterly consumed by increasing passing yards and points totals that I think it's inevitable that there will come a time where any incomplete pass is by default a defensive penalty.

1 hour ago, Antiochas III said:

Roughing the passer is a big one too.  There does not seem to be a rule of what is and isn't.   

The other one that annoys me is they still allow QBs to slide to give themselves up despite technically at that point being a runner!  You want to leave the pocket, then by god you can take a hit...  RBs or WRs don't get that luxury.  

Massively agree with both these posts. The QBs are the face of the league so will always get undue protection. I mind a few season back you would get a roughing the passer penalty for being a split second late and landing on the QB. I’m sure they called it the body weight rule or something, is that still in play?

1 hour ago, Antiochas III said:

well....

If a ball-carrier does slide he'll be considered to be 'giving himself up', so any defender that does stick him will draw a flag. It's happened in a couple of Chargers games this season. I think it's just because it's not common for carriers who are not QB's to go down without contact that it's perceived as 'protecting' QB's, but technically the rules for this are exactly the same for all ball-carriers irrespective of position

And yes, the rules on 'roughing' are nonsense. Bosa got flagged and fined for 'roughing' Joe Flacco twice last week. The first involved stumbling into Flacco after being shoved by a Jets OL, the second the same, only Bosa belly-flopped at Flacco's feet, and 'roughed' him by wrapping up his legs :blink:

His fines were larger than the one that guy copped for cheapshotting Andy Dalton btw, so christ alone knows how they work these out.

Edited by Boo Khaki

28 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Massively agree with both these posts. The QBs are the face of the league so will always get undue protection. I mind a few season back you would get a roughing the passer penalty for being a split second late and landing on the QB. I’m sure they called it the body weight rule or something, is that still in play?

Yes. You can't lift a QB from his feet, wrap him, and drive him to the ground in a manner that means your weight lands on top of him.

I think it's one of the main causes of the number of 'escaped' sacks we see these days, because rushers are attempting to wrap the QB around the waist, twist, and 'throw' him to the ground so they don't cop a penalty, but it leads to a lot of missed sacks where the QB is planted enough to remain upright and escape.

I'm just waiting for the day where the old-fashioned blindside QB obliteration becomes a guaranteed 'unnecessary roughness'. Any day now. 

Bang Cartoons did a take on this about 15 years ago. Brady under centre, Mike LB shapes up to blitz, pre-snap whistle - "Penalty on the Defence! Glaring at the Quarterback!"

Edited by Boo Khaki

12 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

So generally, the p&b football fans are squarely with me in the 'yer da' camp.

Aye.

The CTE/concussion concerns definitely needed addressed, so things like helmet-to-helmet do require legislating out of the game, but regulations being changed purely to manipulate points and yardage totals upwards is horseshit.

Washington @ Dallas on Thanksgiving had the largest viewing figures of the season.  

And people still ask why a) Dallas gets Thanksgiving and b) why the NFC East gets so much coverage.  No matter how bad the division gets it's family business will continue to dominate the regular season and bring in the $$$.  

Edited by Antiochas III