NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

On 18/08/2020 at 11:21, Boo Khaki said:

The trip to Arrowhead will be just like a Chargers home game this year 8)

Yessir, haha.

Kansas City's MLS team used to play at Arrowhead. They'd usually draw about 10K and it was about as dead an atmosphere as you'd imagine. The biggest soccer crowd I've seen there is maybe 30K, and it's still weird with another 42K empty seats.

On 15/08/2020 at 04:42, RiG said:

Niners add Tavon Austin and JJ Nelson to the receiving core. With Deebo out for a few months yet and the receiving core pretty inexperienced after the loss of Sanders it makes sense to bring in some support. Doesn't look good for Pettis now. apparently his route running in training is fantastic but he never shows it in games. Suspect he might end up getting cut. Austin seems a Shanahan fit. Very versatile and plenty of speed.

https://www.nfl.com/news/49ers-adding-receiver-help-with-tavon-austin

I'd be surprised if Austin makes the team. If he's starting or getting a fair amount of playing time, that's a horrible sign. Dude is trash.

How the Rams ever gave him that contract back in 2016 is beyond me?

1 hour ago, AmericanFan said:

I'd be surprised if Austin makes the team. If he's starting or getting a fair amount of playing time, that's a horrible sign. Dude is trash.

How the Rams ever gave him that contract back in 2016 is beyond me?

That was in the middle of a pretty fucking horrendous stretch for the Rams.

He had one amazing fake punt return where the other returner pretended to have the ball and ran it back with a massive wedge in front. The Colts, think it was the colts, fell for it and chased the guy without the ball and Austin went 95 yards untouched up the other sideline. Apart from that he did absolutely nothing of note. 

Another WR rocking up for SF. This time it's ex Seahawk Jaron Brown:

https://www.ninersnation.com/2020/8/19/21376063/49ers-sign-wr-jaron-brown-hurd-free-agency

Quite a few receivers brought in recently to work out after the injuries to Deebo and Hurd. Will be interesting to see if any of them actually make the final roster.

9 hours ago, RiG said:

Another WR rocking up for SF. This time it's ex Seahawk Jaron Brown:

https://www.ninersnation.com/2020/8/19/21376063/49ers-sign-wr-jaron-brown-hurd-free-agency

Quite a few receivers brought in recently to work out after the injuries to Deebo and Hurd. Will be interesting to see if any of them actually make the final roster.

The 49ers might as well take a look at some of the young guys who produced in the XFL instead of dudes who are 29 and 30 who have lost a step and were never good to begin with. 

21 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Is Deebo out long term?

Original thoughts were he'd be out until October though they are hoping he may be back after Week 1 they apparently aren't counting on it. Whether that's actually playing or just for training I'm not sure.

28 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

It will be nice watching them scrap alongside the Rams at the bottom of the division.

Those are fighting words. 

Kyler Murray is getting A LOT of love this offseason considering his overall body of work. Plus you haven't fixed your D. 

I hate myself for saying this but the Seattle Seacocks are going to skoosh this division. 

28 minutes ago, CountyFan said:

Kyler Murray is getting A LOT of love this offseason considering his overall body of work. Plus you haven't fixed your D. 

I hate myself for saying this but the Seattle Seacocks are going to skoosh this division. 

The optimism around Kyler comes from the clear progression he made through the course of last year. The one concern I do have with him is how much of a year 2 jump can be expected given the unusual off-season this year.

Defensively, we still have the best edge rusher in the league, and a reasonable secondary (Pat Peterson was back to near his best towards the back end of last year). There have been some steady additions up front, and then I'm really excited to see the impact that Isaiah Simmons has.

I'm not saying that we'll have a tremendous season, but I expect the Cardinals to be in the playoff hunt down the stretch.

I agree on the Seahawks, they are my favourites for the division.

That was in the middle of a pretty fucking horrendous stretch for the Rams.
He had one amazing fake punt return where the other returner pretended to have the ball and ran it back with a massive wedge in front. The Colts, think it was the colts, fell for it and chased the guy without the ball and Austin went 95 yards untouched up the other sideline. Apart from that he did absolutely nothing of note. 

Is it this play you are thinking about against the Seahawks?

25 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Is it this play you are thinking about against the Seahawks?

I'm at work so I cant watch that but I dont think so... maybe he did 2 good things! 

ETA I googled it and I'm getting 2 plays confused. The Colts one was just an awesome 98 yard return. It was apparently his first ever pro touchdown in 2013. The Seahawks one was the great trick play. 

Edited by CountyFan

11 hours ago, CountyFan said:

I don’t get the love for Murray, either. He’s the fourth-best quarterback in that division and some in the media are treating him like he’s going to be a top5 QB overall this year.

Simmons is from KC so I’ll be rooting for him.