NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

3 hours ago, Brummie Clyde said:

What do the Lions fans think of Matt Stafford?

If his back really has gone, it might not be too bad a season to tank, as hearing that Trevor Lawrence looks really good.

Stafford is obviously a quality quarterback.  When the Lions appointed Patricia the talk was that the organisation was tired of going 9-7 and maybe getting a wild card and they wanted to win now and if that's the case then sticking the Stafford is clearly the right thing to do.  I dont' think there's any quarterback that's been available in the last few years who could do with the Lions what Stafford has.  Last season he got hurt when the team was just under .500 and was having a great season.  Things just fell apart after that.

Obviously he had a serious injury but the organisation are clearly behind him, no quarterback drafted and only a backup signed.  In terms of his weapons, he's got Kenny Golladay and Marvin Jones as targets.  I think that our fifth round pick, Quintez Cephus, could be a good late rounder.  I don't know much about college football but have only read positives about D'Andre Swift, the running back we took in the second and if we can get an effective and non-injured running game with him and Kerryon Johnon that'll be a big help to Stafford.  The boosting of the offensive line in the draft with the third and fourth round picks on guards and freee agent signings of Garnett and Vaitai should also help.

Defensively is a big weak spot for the team last year and it's disappointing that Patricia hasn't had as big an impact, given he's a former defensive co-ordinator.  Drafting Okudah was vital, given Slay was leaving, and signing Jamie Collins and Desmond Trufant look good on paper.  We'll see.

On 21/04/2020 at 22:00, CountyFan said:

So the first person to tackle him is WWE champion? 

I canny help but think the NFL & WWE have an agreement in place where something daft like that will happen.

44 minutes ago, Busta Nut said:

I canny help but think the NFL & WWE have an agreement in place where something daft like that will happen.

He'll be celebrating a touchdown when someone runs on and takes him down, makes him tap out and then they claim his belt.

The above now seems to have been changed with multiple sources citing division games in week 1.  (Bills vs Jets,  Redskins vs Eagles)

I thought division games for the first 3 weeks made the most sense if they have to cancel a chunk of the season, just have one round of division games.

Also leaked:

Games on Christmas Day (Saints vs Vikings is one)

Titans not playing the Jaguars on a Thursday, somehow.