NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

A detestable cnut who brings multiple games to London. I’ve annoyed the shit out of countless bitter Yanks by saying I like old Roger because he loves us. [emoji3]

Personally I’m not a fan of the international games. It just makes people want a UK based team. I’d want that team to go 0-16

3 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Personally I’m not a fan of the international games. It just makes people want a UK based team. I’d want that team to go 0-16

I’m a huge fan of the London games. Been going every year for ten years now. Real, meaningful, NFL, in a world class stadium, an hour’s flight away? We go down Fri - Mon, make a long weekend of it. Treat ourselves to hospitality. Absolutely top drawer. Love my Wembley NFL weekends, so you stop pissing on my chips. 😀

12260B87-BCA6-4CD9-A2D7-D800563AE77F.jpeg

Edited by pozbaird

I’m a huge fan of the London games. Been going every year for ten years now. Real, meaningful, NFL, in a world class stadium, an hour’s flight away? We go down Fri - Mon, make a long weekend of it. Treat ourselves to hospitality. Absolutely top drawer. Love my Wembley NFL weekends, so you stop pissing on my chips. [emoji3]

I hope your chips stay piss free. But would you support a UK team? What if the were in the Broncos division?

1 minute ago, lichtie23 said:

I hope your chips stay piss free. But would you support a UK team? What if the were in the Broncos division?

If there were a permanent London team, no, I wouldn’t support them per se’. I assume their regular season 8 home games would be the new ‘London games’, so as I do now, would go down to one or two games. If the London Chargers / Jaguars were not an AFC West team, then I would want them to win. If they were the Broncos direct rivals, then I’d want them to get pumped. It wouldn’t make any difference to my London weekends. I already go down and have seen multiple Jaguars v Whoever games, and have loosely speaking, supported the hapless and hopeless Jag-warrs. A London franchise wouldn’t greatly affect my trips down.

A franchise isn’t happening anyway. IMHO.

If there were a permanent London team, no, I wouldn’t support them per se’. I assume their regular season 8 home games would be the new ‘London games’, so as I do now, would go down to one or two games. If the London Chargers / Jaguars were not an AFC West team, then I would want them to win. If they were the Broncos direct rivals, then I’d want them to get pumped. It wouldn’t make any difference to my London weekends. I already go down and have seen multiple Jaguars v Whoever games, and have loosely speaking, supported the hapless and hopeless Jag-warrs. A London franchise wouldn’t greatly affect my trips down.
A franchise isn’t happening anyway. IMHO.

Tell Neil Reynolds that

10 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Tell Neil Reynolds that

The franchise thing? Ach, Neil and the Sky guys have been giving the impression for years and years now that everyone is gagging for a London team. I think he’s under orders to trot out the Sky party line. Personally, after ten years going to Wembley for the corporate, and making a point of chatting away to the folk next to us in the suites, and the seats in the stadium, I have yet to speak to ONE fellow fan who wants a franchise, thinks it will actually happen. Not one. The overwhelming view is just to enjoy the IS games as they are and hope they continue.

As an aside, my wife and I have been regular visitors to the USA for nearly 25 years now. The level of ignorance there towards the London games is absolutely staggering. The London games have been going since 2007? From one game to four? Wearing my Broncos T Shirts over there, and getting into conversations with American fans, the amount of them who haven’t a clue that the games sell out, that we are real fans, that we get live games on TV. On multiple occasions I have told folk we get four live games a week, and have done for years. Their reaction is ‘really? You guys watch the NFL? Live?’ Shocking. It’s almost like they would be surprised to learn that we have electricity and running water over here too.

Edited by pozbaird

I love the London games, been down every year for the past 4 seasons, even my wife wants to go down for the experience this year and we can have a weekend in London, what’s not to like?

I’d support a London team in every game other than Vikings games of course and I’d get to one or two games every year.

On 22/02/2020 at 23:16, pozbaird said:

The franchise thing? Ach, Neil and the Sky guys have been giving the impression for years and years now that everyone is gagging for a London team. I think he’s under orders to trot out the Sky party line. Personally, after ten years going to Wembley for the corporate, and making a point of chatting away to the folk next to us in the suites, and the seats in the stadium, I have yet to speak to ONE fellow fan who wants a franchise, thinks it will actually happen. Not one. The overwhelming view is just to enjoy the IS games as they are and hope they continue.

As an aside, my wife and I have been regular visitors to the USA for nearly 25 years now. The level of ignorance there towards the London games is absolutely staggering. The London games have been going since 2007? From one game to four? Wearing my Broncos T Shirts over there, and getting into conversations with American fans, the amount of them who haven’t a clue that the games sell out, that we are real fans, that we get live games on TV. On multiple occasions I have told folk we get four live games a week, and have done for years. Their reaction is ‘really? You guys watch the NFL? Live?’ Shocking. It’s almost like they would be surprised to learn that we have electricity and running water over here too.

It doesnt help when London game pregame is littered with interviews along the lines of 'do you understand the game?' coming from US TV people interviewing fans attending that have watched for decades. Sky are really bad for sitting back and letting this continual image be portrayed. 

Channel 4 were showing games in the early 1980s and even World of Sport in the mid 70s had playoff highlights (the game was really obscure then to be fair). Yet we still get the angle that we are all going along to watch a sport we know nothing about. 

Ive watched since the 1980s when it was first aired.

Worked in Houston for a year and there was a "book" for the Nfl games each week (also the baseball) and at first i used to get an extra point or 2 as it was perceived i didnt have a clue after week 4 of the season I was up over $1k [emoji23][emoji23]

It doesnt help when London game pregame is littered with interviews along the lines of 'do you understand the game?' coming from US TV people interviewing fans attending that have watched for decades. Sky are really bad for sitting back and letting this continual image be portrayed. 

Channel 4 were showing games in the early 1980s and even World of Sport in the mid 70s had playoff highlights (the game was really obscure then to be fair). Yet we still get the angle that we are all going along to watch a sport we know nothing about.