NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

8 hours ago, boulderdomb said:

As I'm still new to this sport I still don't 'support' a team and as casual as casual gets. London Chargers would be a great option for others like me who don't yet have a team and are very new to the sport.

P.s I hate myself for not watching this sport earlier. I was finally persuaded by a few of my colleagues and I fucking love it.

If you keep watching, and get into it, you’ll find a team to follow. They might find you. It could be anything. A specific player catches your eye, a great game, the atmosphere at a particular stadium catches your eye, or a plucky underdog fights hard on TV and you find yourself cheering them on. A team’s colours could sway you. With Morton favouring blue, white, and usually a yellow change shirt, then the Los Angeles Rams are your team. 👍

There’s 31 teams vying for your affections. The 32nd don’t need any more encouragement. Fcuk em’. 😀

Edited by pozbaird

15 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

If you keep watching, and get into it, you’ll find a team to follow. They might find you. It could be anything. A specific player catches your eye, a great game, the atmosphere at a particular stadium catches your eye, or a plucky underdog fights hard on TV and you find yourself cheering them on. A team’s colours could sway you. With Morton favouring blue, white, and usually a yellow change shirt, then the Los Angeles Rams are your team. 👍

There’s 31 teams vying for your affections. The 32nd don’t need any more encouragement. Fcuk em’. 😀

Agree with all of this, apart from one bit.

f**k the Rams.

42 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Agree with all of this, apart from one bit.

f**k the Rams.

Steady on, I had my photo taken with the Rams mascot outside Wembley a fortnight ago. Bortles is doing a grand job inside that suit.

2 hours ago, pozbaird said:

31 teams?  I get missing the Pats but keeping the Cowboys on the list of possible choices...

21 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Very much this. I watched half a season as a neutral then settled on the Lions purely down to Stafford - Megatron.

On 09/11/2019 at 17:59, pozbaird said:

On 09/11/2019 at 18:10, steelmen said:

Very much this.. unless your a glory hunter!

On 09/11/2019 at 20:42, Antiochas III said:

31 teams?  I get missing the Pats but keeping the Cowboys on the list of possible choices...

On 09/11/2019 at 20:52, pozbaird said:

I did say a plucky underdog might grab their attention, the Cowboys then... 😀

16 hours ago, Brummie Clyde said:

You can support anyone but the Patriots.

I sense a bit of dislike towards the Patriots!

To be fair it hasn't always been like this. I remember when I started watching the NFL in the early 1990's and decided I wanted to support a team. I have no obvious connection to any American city so I chose to pick the team with the worst record, which in 1992 happened to be the 2-14 Patriots (It would have been the Seahawks but for the head to head record). For Patriots haters it was a glorious time, a guy called James Orthwein was the owner, Bill Belichick was being very average with the Browns and Tom Brady was at High School being scouted for baseball. The highpoint of the early years of support was drafting Drew Bledsoe at overall number 1 in the draft, who as it turned out was pretty decent and eventually led the team to the Super Bowl. Whereby we were beaten fairly easily by the Favre inspired Packers.

Onto the present, I understand why folk hate the Pats. Spygate, deflategate, the constant winning. A bad season is winning 11 games and not making the playoffs. I get it all, and its all got to end at some point. No matter what, I'll still be following them though, it just won't ever get this good again.

2 hours ago, mrpaddyx said:

To be fair it hasn't always been like this. I remember when I started watching the NFL in the early 1990's and decided I wanted to support a team. I have no obvious connection to any American city so I chose to pick the team with the worst record, which in 1992 happened to be the 2-14 Patriots (It would have been the Seahawks but for the head to head record). For Patriots haters it was a glorious time, a guy called James Orthwein was the owner, Bill Belichick was being very average with the Browns and Tom Brady was at High School being scouted for baseball. The highpoint of the early years of support was drafting Drew Bledsoe at overall number 1 in the draft, who as it turned out was pretty decent and eventually led the team to the Super Bowl. Whereby we were beaten fairly easily by the Favre inspired Packers.

Onto the present, I understand why folk hate the Pats. Spygate, deflategate, the constant winning. A bad season is winning 11 games and not making the playoffs. I get it all, and its all got to end at some point. No matter what, I'll still be following them though, it just won't ever get this good again.

I don’t hate any of the 32 teams. I’ve been to Boston three times, and I own a couple of Patriots T Shirts. I simply liken them to Manchester United under Alex Ferguson, Real Madrid and Barcelona, and the Old Firm. I just want to see them get pumped. It doesn’t happen nearly often enough, and I find a lot of their fans to be Billy Big Baws smug barstewards.

The start of your last paragraph sums it up for me. Add in a bit if envy that at the start of every season they are pretty much guaranteed to win 5/6 games as their division is awful.

I watched the belichick football life and I was sort of starting to like him and then I remembered the cheating.

If you are picking a team today and have no ties to Boston then it’s safe to say there is a bit of glory hunter in there if you pick the Pats.

I suppose I was sort of when I picked the broncos, 3 SuperBowls in 4 years... granted we got pumped in all of them and all I got to see was the SuperBowls so I was limited to picking from 4 teams.

1 hour ago, steelmen said:

The start of your last paragraph sums it up for me. Add in a bit if envy that at the start of every season they are pretty much guaranteed to win 5/6 games as their division is awful.

I watched the belichick football life and I was sort of starting to like him and then I remembered the cheating.

If you are picking a team today and have no ties to Boston then it’s safe to say there is a bit of glory hunter in there if you pick the Pats.

I suppose I was sort of when I picked the broncos, 3 SuperBowls in 4 years... granted we got pumped in all of them and all I got to see was the SuperBowls so I was limited to picking from 4 teams.

Spygate, deflategate, Edelman having a punchable face, and Bob Kraft hanging around massage parlours in Florida.

I’ll have missed a few more.

Edit:  Employing Antonio Brown for a week. Forgot about him.

Edited by pozbaird

While I get everyone's hatred for the Patriots, the Cowboys trump them for me. Probably because when I started watching early 90's they were the dominant team so I naturally hated them! Add in all the Americas team, the fact they never seen to be off prime time games or sky. Jerry Jones is c**t! I always think they get the breaks from refs.  

Its a close 1 & 2 for me but I definitely hate the Coboys more.