NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

I have maybe mentioned this before, but at one of the NFL roadshows hosted by Neil Reynolds, he said to the audience that he has got to interview many NFL players. Although he tempered his language, we were left in no doubt that he found Kaepernick to be a complete and utter arsepiece. I reckon he must have been right. He has never spoken like that about any other player, and I’ve been to a lot of the roadshows he’s hosted. He seems a very nice bloke, Kaepernick must really have been a wankjob for him to say as such in public.
He must be a special kinda Wankpiece not to get a job in the NFL.
I mean they can get just about past anything in the States. Ray Lewis is on Strictly Dancing this year in the US and no one questions it.

I mean they can get just about past anything in the States. Ray Lewis is on Strictly Dancing this year in the US and no one questions it.
Sorry that should read arsepiece not Wankpiece.

He was never Dan Marino Mark II, but wasn't far off reaching the Super Bowl. Assuming he has maintained fitness levels to, at minimum, the level where he could get up to NFL standards pretty quickly, he's easily good enough to be a backup, at least. 

There isn't more to it than his protests. Teams are chickening out of the inevitable Twitter fury from the Orange Manchild. 

9 hours ago, Gogs Grog said:

Can’t argue with this. Being a dickhead isn’t really a deal-breaker is it. Not when you see some of the ‘misdemeanours’ carried out by some others who are back in the fold. No need to name them, but you make a very valid point. I just wondered though if Kaepernick’s ‘utter dickhead’ verdict by the otherwise polite Neil Reynolds is on the money. To the point where, it’s well known within the player community that he’s an utter fanny who no-one likes. There has to be more to it than the kneeling stuff. Surely.

I mean, we could flip this on its head. If we agree that being a wife beater, and the other things, hasn’t stopped teams employing the players responsible, then they’ll do anything for the win, right? Fcuk morals getting in the way. You’d think then, if Kaepernick was going to add value to a desperate team, they wouldn’t give a toss about the kneeling, right? If teams can move past players hitting women, being involved in dog fighting, battering their kids....then they wouldn’t let stupid kneeling get in the way, would they? Not even a minor misdemeanour. So why hasn’t anyone called him? There simply must be more to it.

I guess we need to remember though that while there are utter fuds, and worse, getting gigs in the NFL, for every one of them, there’s hundreds of decent guys just doing their job, on the field and off. We needn’t look far from our soccer to identify our ‘utter dickheads and worse’ too. Most noticeably recent cases of coaches and the kids they were supposed to be looking after. Aye, they looked after them alright. Anyway.... there’s one sure way for Kaepernick to get a gig. If Kansas City have a desperate need. They’ll take anyone if it’ll get them a ‘W’.

Edited by pozbaird

The Steelers and the Jaguars are two teams who you have to imagine could look at Kaepernick.  The Saints are well served with Bridgewater and Hill.  Mason Rudolph had a good college pedigree and was a third rounder so the Steelers obviously think he can play in the league but aside from that they are pretty thin.  The Jags have a sixth round rookie and a fourth round guy who has thrown 12 passes in three seasons.  Surely Kaepernick would add something to both of those teams, even if it was as a back up?

As noted above, if Kaepernick got a gig and lead a team on a play off run then no-one would care if he waved an ISIS flag pre match.

When was the last time in the NFL there were 2 handicaps of 20+ points in the same week? I've been back into it for 6 years now and can barely remember one game that high?

It's almost a shame Dolphins @ Patriots is week 17 and it'll be the backups playing, if that game was week 8 or something and the two teams continued on their current trajectory what would you be looking at, NE minus 35?

1 hour ago, Fuctifano said:

When was the last time in the NFL there were 2 handicaps of 20+ points in the same week? I've been back into it for 6 years now and can barely remember one game that high?

It's almost a shame Dolphins @ Patriots is week 17 and it'll be the backups playing, if that game was week 8 or something and the two teams continued on their current trajectory what would you be looking at, NE minus 35?

Strike season of 1987 when the pickets were crossed but the strike wasnt over (i.e. scabs vs scrubs) 

How are they going to afford to redo his contract when they're going to have to reset the QB market for Mahomes and they still have to pay Chris Jones? Ramsey is going to want Donald/Mack money. 
It's suggested over here they have space in their salary cap.

As an aside, is anyone watching the 100 greatest plays clips? Upto number 31 on the NFL site. I suspect number 1 might be a NY Giants play in a super bowl.

Just watched Tony Dorsetts 99 yard rush. Takes me back to the Channel 4 days of NFL when I started watching the game.

Interesting discussion on the Broncos fan forum about players seemingly engineering moves away from teams if they don’t get their own way, don’t get played exactly in the position they want, fall out with the head coach, or, if you’re a Dolphin, simply don’t fancy playing for a shite team. The discussion fears that if this trend continues, it will be like our soccer. Good players with the likes of Leicester, or whoever, suddenly all want to piss off to Man City....or in this case, New England or another ‘contender’. Fans fear the strong getting even stronger, the weak having no chance of becoming stronger, and the middle standard teams treading water year after year. 

Antonio Brown clearly engineered his Oakland departure. Jalen Ramsay has spit the dummy at the Jags. One of the Dolphins has too. 

Edited by pozbaird

The players with massive star power will always be able to engineer moves but your average ones wont. The salary cap is too restrictive, they cant all go and play for the Patriots. 

It's not a recent phenomenon. There are examples of it further back, e.g. Eli Manning engineering a trade to the giants on draft day in 2004 and Jake Plummer retiring rather than playing for the team he was traded to (momentarily escapes me). Also examples of power plays that have failed (see Gordon, Melvin and Bell, LeVeon)