NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

Oooft. That was brilliant. I'm getting on a plane to Amsterdam at 4pm for 3 days of debauchery so the plan was to take it easy last night. Ended up getting hammered with my mate watching the Jets but well worth it. Geno settled down nicely and looked very composed after a few early jitters. A couple of his scrambles for first down were brilliant. Fair enough, Bucs basically handed us the win but I'll take it all day long.

http://youtu.be/ZnoUlZnwYy4

After a solid 2 hours sleep I can recap on our defeat in Dallas.

6 turnovers, 2 of which were returned for TDs ultimately cost is last night. When the offence clicked we looked very good. Randle stepped up, Cruz was unplayable and Nicks looked healthy for 1st time in years. Brandon Myers also looked decent at TE

Wilson was nothing short of horrible. 2 fumbles, couldn't block and didn't hit the hole with any conviction. A bad night for a player I'm beginning to have my doubts on.

Defence played ok in spells. Front 4 caused a few problems and the linebackers hit with conviction. Only real issue was how many times Witten got Open.

Looking forward to next Sunday I can only see a defeat in our home opener with the Broncos.

In the process of listening to Cris Carter on ESPN radio and he makes a good point about the teams getting less practice time in training camp. The CBA has limited how long teams practice for. And in Carters own words...... "How can u expect to get better by doing it less"

He makes a good point in my opinion. The new CBA has hindered the game in my opinion. That twat lawyer who represented the players but was clearly only out for himself has alot to answer for

We will sign a veteran either today or tomorrow. I'm thinkin Jacobs, Dwyer or Willis McGhee

I've always liked Tim Hightower. Out of the league last year but I think he can still do a job.

In the process of listening to Cris Carter on ESPN radio and he makes a good point about the teams getting less practice time in training camp. The CBA has limited how long teams practice for. And in Carters own words...... "How can u expect to get better by doing it less"

He makes a good point in my opinion. The new CBA has hindered the game in my opinion. That twat lawyer who represented the players but was clearly only out for himself has alot to answer for

Possibly a reason why there have been so many injuries too. Players aren't ready for contact when they get to the preseason.

I've always liked Tim Hightower. Out of the league last year but I think he can still do a job.

Possibly a reason why there have been so many injuries too. Players aren't ready for contact when they get to the preseason.

Yea. I'm trying to remember this lawyers name. He really pissed me off

Just watched the Dal-NYG game. Now, far be it from me to question a two time SuperBowl winning head coach, but I think Tom Coughlin has to shoulder a portion of the blame for the turnover epidemic New York had last night.

He's a well known to take a very hard line with his players and I think it became counter productive last night if you go by the look and body language of some of his players as some of the were clearly scared and intimidated of making mistakes. He takes such a zero tolerance policy to things such as turnovers and procedural penalties that those things will prey on the minds of certain personalities.

Granted, you're talking about things professional players should be getting right but you need to accept that they will make some mistakes. You may think that doing things like benching a rookie in his first ever start is sending a certain message about execution and it may well do, but to less confident people it is just as likely to make them nervous and anxious and I think that manifested itself last night.

Just finished watching the Dolphins v Browns game. It was a defensive masterclass for the most part. Both teams excelled against the run and the offenses had to abandon it by the second half. Criticism of Lamar Miller is undeserved because he had two defenders on him before he crossed the line of scrimmage on almost every play. Daniel Thomas had a similarly poor performance because of this too. Poor OL play was to blame as much as good defense. Dolphins had 6 sacks against a particularly shaky RG and T combo. Browns had 4 sacks and numerous hits/hurries everywhere along the line. There were 4 interceptions in the game (3 for Weeden and 1 for Tannehill), but 3 of them were tipped and only Weeden's long pass into the End Zone could have been avoided. Good pressure and coverage from the Dolphins on that play.

However, the difference was in the 4th quarter QB play. Tannehill stepped it up a gear and had a really nice 85 yard drive where he extended plays with his legs and made some good throws to Brandon Gibson. He seems to have a nice rapport with Gibson and Hartline, but Wallace was nowhere to be seen and was only targeted once. I'll need to re-watch to see if it was Haden's coverage or if Tannehill just didn't look at him. Anyway, the Dolphins continued to pressure Weeden and forced him into making bad throws and he gave up possession on 4th down twice in the last 5 minutes which effectively ended the game.

In short, a good performance by both defenses, a lot to be desired from both OL's and the contrast between the QB's made the difference.

I think we phoned Hightower but didn't try him out

Dwyer re-signed by the Steelers so that's one option off the table.

EDIT: That's because LaRod Stephens-Howling has an ACL tear.

Edited by GingerSaint

That's essentially what I'm talking about. You knew he's got a mental list of guys he's going to go through back in NJ this morning and that's not always the best course of action.

You fumble the ball, you get benched even if you're a 1st round pick . That's a good message to send out.

Do you think Manning threw 3 interceptions because he was mentally scared of Tom Coughlin? No, they were poor plays and a tipped ball.

Edited by GingerSaint

Coughlin is NOT a great coach, good, but not great and I think this season may expose his weaknesses.

Other than that, from week one, I'd say there are no terrible teams. Jets, Raiders, Browns look better than the media would suggest, and apart from the Broncos (so far) no team seems to be miles ahead. Maybe a more even season all round than forecast, or is it week 1 "feeling the way" scenarios?

Coughlin is NOT a great coach, good, but not great and I think this season may expose his weaknesses.

Other than that, from week one, I'd say there are no terrible teams. Jets, Raiders, Browns look better than the media would suggest, and apart from the Broncos (so far) no team seems to be miles ahead. Maybe a more even season all round than forecast, or is it week 1 "feeling the way" scenarios?

Jags?