NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

A british franchise wouldn't work. They would likely be called the London something, instantly alienating the fans who travel from far outwith London to watch one of the IS games.

Theres no way London could sustain a winning NFL franchise for more than a season. Never mind a losing one. Selling 560,000 + tickets year on year is a pipe dream. World Bowl 91 aside, Londoners weren't interested in the Monarchs, at a time when american football was arguably more popular in Britain than it is now.

Edited by Todd_is_God

A British franchise is a laughably bad idea.

Wish this pish would be put to bed once and for all.

I agree.....but every time Goodell mentions it as a possibility it stays in the headlines.

What we need is for the international series to not sell out 2 or 3 years on the trot

Throwing a stinkbomb into the argument. What if games were played at Murrayfield/Hampden, Millenium Stadium and maybe even Lansdowne Road/Croke Park for 3 of the 5 home games?

Personally I have a tenuous link to my teams of interest, Hawks and Broncos. I like them to do well but wouldn't mind watching a couple of games if the nee team has the right image. Would not be up for any British bulldog/ London Monarch type image but a well thought out franchise plan could be interesting.

Don't get me wrong if it doesn't happen I won't lose any sleep :D

I'm of the same opinion as you Jagfox. It could be done really well. Agree calling it the London whatever wouldn't help, but I really don't think at City with a population of over 12 million alone would struggle to sell out 8 games a year. As has been said before they wouldn't even need to sell 90% per game to still have bigger attendances than many NFL teams, plus it brings the game to not just the UK but Europe's doorstep.

Every home game would need to be an early kick off. The British franchise would never have a prime time game.

And if say the "Bulldogs" play an away game on MNF it would kick off at 1.40am our time and the players would already be acclimatised to British time. Which would surely be a disadvantage!

Even if ticket sales made it viable (they won't have you seen the viewing figures for Skys Sunday primetime games?) That doesn't make logistics remotely viable.

Whole seasons would be built around arranging byes for opponents. They could never play a home game in the American evening- What if they made conference championship? What happens when their division is scheduled to play a western division?

Off the top of my head the following markets offer better or equal value to a London franchise and none of the hassle.

LA, Vegas, salt lake, Portland Oregon, Omaha Nebraska, Birmingham Alabama,Albuquerque new mexico, Columbus Ohio, san Antonio Texas,Vancouver,Toronto,Mexico city.

Bucs have made the first move by benching Josh Freeman for Mike Glennon. Surely he'll be traded?

Have they really? Yes, a trade would seem the most likely outcome now.

I wonder what they'd get for him, I think a fair number of teams would see a guy with a lot of scope in Freeman and would be interested. Particularly at the position he plays.

And then there is a fair chance at least one starting QB will go down before the trade deadline in, I believe, week eight.

ETA: The counterpoint to that being that HCs are so, so reluctant to play a QB, or any player really, who doesn't have a firm grasp on the playbook and the concept of what they're trying to do. That's the essence of the offseason OTAs, minicamps, training camp and what have you. A trade for a QB midseason is going to make most HCs uneasy and Freeman himself isn't really renowned for his intelligence or commitment to learning the offense.

Edited by Pride_of_the_Clyde

Missed Sunday's action and the Raiders game because I was in hospital. Looks like some ridiculous results there.

Raiders weren't destroyed by the Broncos, I expected Payton to put up at least 50. having not had a chance to see the highlights yet I'm guessing the Broncos relaxed in the second half and let the Raiders more into it, rather than being any sort of contest?

Best you'll get for freeman at this stage is a 4th or 5th round pick I don't see many teams that would spend much more on him.

On the UK franchise thing while it probably could be sustained most uk fans already have a team and you know how reluctant we are to change sports team allegiance!!!!!