NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

2 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Lamar has requested a trade. He asked for it at the start of the month according to the man himself 

Might be the Titans, hopefully the Titans, please be the Titans.

But..

We would probably have to get rid of Simmons to accommodate.

I doubt the Ravens would sanction a trade to an AFC team unless it's at a stupid price, and they already have permission to talk to Jackson anyway by dint of the fact he's on the non-exclusive tag. Baltimore holds all the cards here, so there's no reason for them to ship him for less than a pair of 1sts really. They might take less if it's an NFC buyer, but I don't really see anyone being in the market since they could have poached him over the last couple of weeks anyway.

4 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

I doubt the Ravens would sanction a trade to an AFC team unless it's at a stupid price, and they already have permission to talk to Jackson anyway by dint of the fact he's on the non-exclusive tag. Baltimore holds all the cards here, so there's no reason for them to ship him for less than a pair of 1sts really. They might take less if it's an NFC buyer, but I don't really see anyone being in the market since they could have poached him over the last couple of weeks anyway.

Their hand is significantly weakened now though because he’s said he wants to leave. He could play this year and then leave next year for nothing our even sit out this year (which given his injury history could be smart) and then go next year. 

15 minutes ago, The Golden God said:

Their hand is significantly weakened now though because he’s said he wants to leave. He could play this year and then leave next year for nothing our even sit out this year (which given his injury history could be smart) and then go next year. 

They have theoretically two more years of team control. I honestly believe that if anyone signs LJ to an offer sheet the Ravens will not match it because they are not completely invested in going forward long term with LJ as their incumbent QB, but that doesn't mean they are willing to just let him walk away with no team compo. I also don't think they are particularly weakened by a trade request from the player, because by putting him on the non-exclusive tag the team has basically said 'you can leave' to him anyway.

If they don't sign a deal before July, and I honestly don't see that happening, then he can either come back and play on the tag or sit the year out, but even then he isn't free of Baltimore because they can simply tag him for yet another year. A recalcitrant player sitting out a year obviously diminishes trade value, so the Ravens will want to avoid that, but this is a player who has ongoing concerns about his health and longevity. Sitting out will do nothing to dispel those doubts, nor will it prove to anyone that he can improve and expand his passing ability beyond his current mediocre level, so sitting out does nothing but harm his own earning potential as well. 

My guess is that there is a frosty stand-off between now and July, nobody shows any serious trade interest, he plays on the tag this year for Baltimore, and if he stays healthy and improves as a pocket passer then both parties will have more inclination towards getting some sort of longer deal done. If he gets injured again or continues to play at a mediocre level, then I think he'll get traded next off-season for far less than the current asking price, or perhaps even just outright released because it's in everyone's interest to move on including the Ravens, but right now he's more valuable to them to keep on the roster versus what is likely to be an underwhelming trade return. If there was really the market out there for him right now then some team would have submitted an offer sheet, and if he was truly worth the money he appears to want then the Ravens would have given him it.

Again, this is all down to LJ dramatically over-estimating his own dollar value, and his ability value as a 'franchise' QB. The fact he's sitting there waiting to be picked up and yet nobody is biting shows that. He has value as a proven viable NFL QB, but he's not an 'elite' passer so nobody is going to pay him like one, especially when his actual 'elite' attributes are also in question because of injury. He needs at least one solid 'prove it' season to justify either the money he's after, or entice some team to commit to him and give up the money and trade value that will require.

Edited by Boo Khaki

In a typically Staley era Chargers headscratching move, the HC has announced that last year's 1st round pick Zion Johnson is moving from RG to LG to accommodate Jamaree Salyer playing RG.

I thought ZJ was a bit underwhelming for an OG taken where he was, but if the move is necessary to get the best out of him I can understand it. What I don't really understand is drafting a guy with your 1st round pick, who you are making what you'd hope is at least a 5 year commitment to, and ideally much longer, then playing him out of position in favour of a vet who had never been more than 'average', had played multiple positions in the past, and played like shit for the entire year despite being played at your rookie's preferred spot on the OL. A vet who stunk so badly right from week one that after the season you cut him with a year to go on his contract. 

Like so many Staley decisions, it just makes me 

Bunnies What GIF - Bunnies What Confused - Discover & Share GIFs

Fully expecting us to sign Zeke Elliot next, despite him showing ominous signs of being close to the end and not even the type of back we need anyway, only to have to cut some other guy to free up the money to sign John Johnson III in June. Wouldn't be a Staley year without some Sony Michel-esque pointless signing that fucks the roster elsewhere, thanks to overloading at a low-value position and cutting serviceable talent at a now thin position in order to facilitate that.

Edited by Boo Khaki

The problem with RTP isn't that it can't be reviewed, its the fact that what constitutes RTP has been so widely expanded over the past while that you get flagged for ridiculous stuff like accidently brushing your hand on his helmet while reaching out to take him down, or grabbing him around the waist while being shoved by a 320llbs OT that causes you to put a shoulder into his knee. That sort of stuff needs wiped completely, as does the 'hit below the knee' pish. Utterly ridiculous that QB's bodies are subject to special rules and protections not afforded to other players, and no, running into the kicker is not the same thing and that is absolutely required.

Just playing on a Thursday is bad enough. From a football fan perspective, yeah, great, one more night of the week with NFL football to watch. From a pragmatic point of view, it's insanity, and I wouldn't be surprised to see the NFLPA kick up a shitstorm over it the next time the CBA is up for renegotiation.

2 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Just playing on a Thursday is bad enough. From a football fan perspective, yeah, great, one more night of the week with NFL football to watch. From a pragmatic point of view, it's insanity, and I wouldn't be surprised to see the NFLPA kick up a shitstorm over it the next time the CBA is up for renegotiation.

I hate TNF. Genuinely can’t remember many decent games. The players are clearly not 100% for it (especially linemen) but the NFL is all about money and not the health of their players. Goodell is about to get a new deal as well. 

7 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

I hate TNF. Genuinely can’t remember many decent games. The players are clearly not 100% for it (especially linemen) but the NFL is all about money and not the health of their players. Goodell is about to get a new deal as well. 

Is there a reason they don’t do a Saturday game? From a purely personal point of view I’d quite enjoy being able to spend a Saturday evening watching it. Thursday is a shite day for it.

12 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

Is there a reason they don’t do a Saturday game? From a purely personal point of view I’d quite enjoy being able to spend a Saturday evening watching it. Thursday is a shite day for it.

College football plays on Saturdays. The nfl do a few Saturday night games towards end of the season when there is a break before college bowl games 

Always found it a bit strange that for such a religious country, they play on Sundays, although I suppose the theory is you'd go to church in the morning. 

Other than tradition I can't really come up with a good reason for the Super Bowl being on a Sunday rather than a Saturday. 

2 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

Always found it a bit strange that for such a religious country, they play on Sundays, although I suppose the theory is you'd go to church in the morning. 

Other than tradition I can't really come up with a good reason for the Super Bowl being on a Sunday rather than a Saturday. 

TV ratings apparently 

_20230330_083712.JPG