NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

1 minute ago, lichtie23 said:

Legendary Vikings Head Coach Bud Grant dead at 95.

His “A football life” is a really good watch 

One of only three people to be in both the Pro & Canadian Football Hall Of Fame.

On 13/03/2023 at 17:23, jagfox said:

Ekeler Seeks Permission to talk to other teams.

Would be quite a loss to the Chargers.

Going by the deals FA backs are signing right now, I think AE is going to get a rude awakening about what he evidently perceives as his own value. There's been quite a bit of talk about this in Chargerland, and it seems to be that Ek views himself as more a gadget/do everything game-breaking type along the lines of Deebo/CMac rather than a slightly above average NFL back who would ideally be part of a platoon. To be fair to him I can see why he might think that since if you compare his numbers to McCaffrey's in terms of averages/TD rates/YPC etc they are more or less identical, but where I think Ek falls down a bit is I genuinely don't believe he can be used as a 3 down, legit between the tackles starting RB in the NFL. The Chargers have had to do that over the past 3 seasons because none of the backs they have drafted have proven capable of either staying healthy or producing when required, so Ek has had to shoulder far more of the load than he ever should have. He's alluded to this himself on several occasions, so I think what is eating him is that he's producing like a Deebo/CMac player while not being paid like an absolutely elite talent.

He would undoubtedly be a loss as he's a talented guy, but I think part of the reason he stands out as a Charger is, in a bizarre way, down to the fact that he gets far more opportunities than he really should. That's not a criticism of him, it's just a consequence of the team having no other legit backfield options, and that the passing game has no downfield threat so it's preoccupied with short stuff, dump-offs, and screens. Ek is an animal on the goalline so scores a ton of TD's, but I'd happily sacrifice half those TD's for a guy who can reliably get you 4-4.5 YPC between the 20's, and although Ek can do that, actually using him to do that is, again, more a consequence of not having a credible, reliable straight up and down runner to do most of the donkeywork. I think he's just tired of being overworked and figures that if he has maybe 2-3 years left in his legs, he might as well get more money if he's going to have to sacrifice career longevity. I think he won't get the money he's asking for, and ultimately he'll agree a shorter extension with LAC for slightly more money than his current deal.

A list of new rules have been published for the owners to discuss.  Most of them seem fair enough but I don't like the:

2nd Touchback Proposal where the receiving team from a punt gets it at the 25 if the PR calls a fair catch anywhere inside said 25. 

And

No Launching - what chances does the D have at the goal line.  No word that the O cannot launch as technically they're not aiming at an opponent.  

3 hours ago, Antiochas III said:

2nd Touchback Proposal where the receiving team from a punt gets it at the 25 if the PR calls a fair catch anywhere inside said 25. 

I haven't seen any of the proposals listed anywhere, but surely this can't be right?

Part of the strategy of football is using a punt to pin an opponent deep in their own territory. This rule change would severely impact the whole system of punting.

Edit - found the list of proposals. There are two separate ones regarding punts/kicks/touchbacks. So it would only be at the 25 yard line in the case of a touchback on a punt, or at a free kick (kickoffs or after a safety) - and not just with all punts which are fair caught.

1. By Competition Committee; to put the ball in play at the receiving team's 25-yard line when a touchback occurs from a punt.
  2. By Competition Committee; to put the ball in play at the receiving team's 25-yard line if there is a fair catch on a free kick (kickoff and safety kick) behind the receiving team's 25-yard line.
Edited by Nightmare