NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

Joey Bosa to IR. Requires surgery on the groin injury. Speculation suggests it's a hernia and he's looking at a minimum of 6-8 weeks out.

The guy has as much talent and ability as any Edge in football, but for whatever reason the Chargers just can't seem to get a full season out of him. It's frustrating, because he is perpetually the entirety of our pass rush. Khalil Mack did nothing on Sunday once JB left the game, but that's to be expected since the team went into the season with only 3 recognised edge rushers on the roster, and the entire pass rush has vanished every single time Joey Bosa hasn't been on the field in any other year since 2016.

Edited by Boo Khaki

There should be serious questions asked of the Dolphins after last night. Players will want to play, no matter what. Coaches will want their best players on the park.
Putting a players' future at risk should not be in the hands of the coaches/player.2833b02c869f1f60d0dead079905b75f.jpg

Surely he's just been thrown under the bus though. There's no explicable reason why he would choose to wave through a piss-poor evaluation, unless there was a deeper culture that pressurised him to make the 'correct' call. Which is of course a widespread attitude in other sports as well.

Until teams are held accountable for producing that culture with serious sanctions then the real issue is not going to be solved. 

Edited by vikingTON

Surely he's just been thrown under the bus though. There's no explicable reason why he would choose to wave through a piss-poor evaluation, unless there was a deeper culture that pressurised him to make the 'correct' call. Which is of course a widespread attitude in other sports as well.
Until teams are held accountable for producing that culture with serious sanctions then the real issue is not going to be solved. 
No doubt he's been thrown under the bus, and that's what I meant that it should be no surprise to anyone. There's no way any of the Dolphins medical staff were going to carry the can for this one, it was always going to be the unaffiliated guy.

The US is absolutely chock full of quack doctors. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the NFL sourced and used this guy as an 'independent' and it turns out he is a complete and utter charlatan. 

The narrative is that he incorrectly evaluated using the NFL's own procedures. So if that's the case, why bother with the pretence of an 'independent' assessor instead of just having the in-house guys who are more familiar do it? I mean, I get why, for the purpose of being able to shrug off accusations of self-interest, but if your procedure is fit for purpose, and your own doctors are fit for purpose, then you are just adding in an unnecessary extra complication by then going and having an outside doctor apply your in-house procedure.

So either this guy is an arseclown, or the procedures he was asked to perform aren't fit for purpose and he's been shat on by the NFL, or the Dolphins own doctors who cleared Tua are also completely at it, or its a combination of the lot. My money is on the latter.

27 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Dolphins should lose draft picks.

I'm not sure about that. 

Not because I think the Dolphins as an organisation haven't done anything wrong, but the procedures for evaluating concussions are approved and laid down by the NFL with the agreement of NFLPA, so if they are insufficient that is not the Dolphins' fault, and the NFL has already conceded that the guy they brought in to independently evaluate Tua fucked up himself, so even if the Dolphins staff goofed or lied, the NFL's own guy also goofed or lied.

I think if it emerges in the fullness of time that Tua was in fact concussed in the Buffalo game, the Dolphins staff evaluated and concluded this, and then allowed him back into the game, then yes, there is a case for punishing the Dolphins, but in that scenario the NFL would also have to punish itself since they have tacitly admitted to being guilty of that themselves. The fact their guy was an outsider is irrelevant. He's still their guy, so the buck ultimately stops with them. I think that a large donation to NFLPA and health charities would be more appropriate than fining the Dolphins draft picks because the NFL can not simultaneously fine itself the same. 

Then there's the issue of whether or not Tua suffers any long term residual consequences of this. I think you can argue that even if he doesn't suffer ongoing symptoms from the concussion itself, his career has already been irreparably damaged due to the fact that multiple concussions in short order make him far more likely to suffer severe consequences if he suffers yet another. I think that this is quite possibly going to result in a massive legal shitstorm, and that will take precedence over any notion of the NFL shovelling the shit towards Miami by asserting that they are entirely to blame.

Just to add - I think fining draft picks is appropriate when there's a competition issue, i.e. a team has cheated or somehow broken the rules to try and gain an advantage, but this is a player health and medical issue, so it just doesn't feel appropriate to me.

Edited by Boo Khaki