NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

Colts fans finding out exactly what Chargers realised pretty quickly about Gus Bradley.

I don't think I've ever seen another defensive system that is so much less than the sum of its parts. It completely stifles any players with exceptional personal ability and does absolutely nothing to make use of outstanding talents. It's beyond vanilla, unimaginative, and predictable as hell. The guys is a total fraud and I have no idea how he's now on his 3rd DC job post-Jags HC.

I knew from the opening drive today that LAC were going to get clobbered, and I'm not talking about the usual doomer thing of looking at an injured team and groaning 'oh no... here we go', I'm talking about an instantaneous feeling of the team being completely flat and disinterested that only appears during the game itself. I've been trying to recall when I've felt like that before, and I can only recall it twice.

Anthony Lynn's final season in 2020, Herbert's rookie year. We played the Cam Newton Patriots who had looked like utter shit the entire year to that point. The team didn't bother turning up, got thumped 45-0. It was confirmed shortly after that Lynn wasn't going to be back in 2021, the team played much looser and went 4-0 over the final month.

The one that really springs to mind though is in November of Mike McCoy's second season. It was just after I'd realised that McCoy was a complete and utter fraud of a HC, and this is in spite of him having won a playoff game in Cinci the year before. We'd blown several wins to that point  due to the usual idiotic situational decisions and totally avoidable self-inflicted mistakes. We went to Miami to play the Dolphins, with a bye week to follow, and again, the team just totally rolled over, looked like utter shit, and got steamrolled 37-0.

From that point on McCoy went something like 13-26 across the rest of his time in SD and never once looked like a competent HC. I think this quite likely is a 'players are sick of Staley's act' moment, they've quit, and they might well mail the rest of the season in as a result. This has exactly the same sort of stench as those two games about it.

Edited by Boo Khaki

11 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

I knew from the opening drive today that LAC were going to get clobbered, and I'm not talking about the usual doomer thing of looking at an injured team and groaning 'oh no... here we go', I'm talking about an instantaneous feeling of the team being completely flat and disinterested that only appears during the game itself. I've been trying to recall when I've felt like that before, and I can only recall it twice.

Anthony Lynn's final season in 2020, Herbert's rookie year. We played the Cam Newton Patriots who had looked like utter shit the entire year to that point. The team didn't bother turning up, got thumped 45-0. It was confirmed shortly after that Lynn wasn't going to be back in 2021, the team played much looser and went 4-0 over the final month.

The one that really springs to mind though is in November of Mike McCoy's second season. It was just after I'd realised that McCoy was a complete and utter fraud of a HC, and this is in spite of him having won a playoff game in Cinci the year before. We'd blown several wins to that point  due to the usual idiotic situational decisions and totally avoidable self-inflicted mistakes. We went to Miami to play the Dolphins, with a bye week to follow, and again, the team just totally rolled over, looked like utter shit, and got steamrolled 37-0.

From that point on McCoy went something like 13-26 across the rest of his time in SD and never once looked like a competent HC. I think this quite likely is a 'players are sick of Staley's act' moment, they've quit, and they might well mail the rest of the season in as a result. This has exactly the same sort of stench as those two games about it.

Think your being a tad harsh. the injuries are bad and are to blame for a lot of your issues. You do have to ask why do they keep happening. is there something wrong with the training scheme? the Chargers always seem to have a litany of injuries to deal with. Be interested to see the stats of how many games lost they have had for starters the last few years.

Staley needs to protect his QB. the game was done last week and again this week so why is he out there at the end of the game getting already injured ribs made worse. The whole he wanted to be out there doesn't work for me. Staley is the boss and should tell him to sit down.

The injuries are a factor, no doubt about that, but they don't account for a complete flat and insipid performance right from the kick-off, or explain why the team looked completely unprepared and unable to figure out what the Jags were about, especially so when they last played a week past Thursday and had 10 days to get ready for this one.

Chargers and injuries to critical players go hand-in-hand, but it's something that has persisted across multiple coaching regimes, and although it happens most seasons it's not true that it happens every single season. We were remarkably lucky with injuries last season, but for much of Anthony Lynn's time we were chronically injured, with the exception of 2018 when the team probably overperformed relative to talent.

What worries me is that this season there is evidence of the second perpetual Chargers phenomenon occurring, i.e. spending all off-season fixing a perceived weakness, only for the wheels to completely come off what was previously a perfectly decent unrelated aspect of the team. The OL has clearly regressed since last season, which considering they spent a 1st round pick on an OG who has been receiving rave reviews so far, is completely mystifying. Matt Feiler was solid at LG last year, he's playing with the same players he did last year, he's uninjured, he isn't old by NFL standards, and yet he's whiffing constantly in the run game, getting mauled in pass pro, so much so that last week the Chargers left the rookie RG 1 v 1 with Chris Jones and had the Center double with Feiler because he couldn't deal with the other no-name KC DT's. Pains me to say it, but even Slater hasn't looked like the All-Pro phenom player he was last year as a rookie. Ekeler looks to have slowed down over the off season, he's routinely getting smashed before he gets back to the L.O.S, but with the shitty OL play it's difficult to tell if that's on Ek or if it's the OL. He's not getting the touches he was before, and it's true that he needed a lesser load than he was getting, but part of it looks like a decline in use because of a decline in performance. 

Keenan Allen not playing really cuts the legs out from under the entire O, there's no denying that and I've said as much in here. People complaining about Lombardi's playcalling seem to be ignorant of two things - you can not call constant intermediate and deep routes when your entire WR corps is as slow as a wet weekend in Arbroath and can't get any separation, and you especially can't do that when your pass-pro can't protect your QB. The fact Herbert leads the league in 40 yard+ bombs is down to his own ability to evade the rush and the fact that once in 20 tries Guyton will actually beat his guy deep. It's in no way indicative of the fact that Lombardi should be calling that on every other down or that it would come off. There's a huge degree of improvisation involved. Yup, Allen being out makes our entire passing game much easier to defend, and that will have a knock-on effect in the effectiveness of the run game, but Keenan Allen being missing doesn't explain flat-out shitty blocking and a poorly planned approach.

What's emerged about what happened in the aftermath of the defeat yesterday is curious. From what I can tell the tweet about 'leadership' has been a bit misconstrued. It doesn't refer to senior players being hacked off with Staley, rather that the senior players he brought in are fucking furious that some of the hangover players form the Lynn era are still totally half-arsing it the way they have been for years. I think I know which players are which, and by the sounds of it there was a 'full and frank exchange of views' between the players after the game. I'm interested to see if there's a response in Houston, because unlike the Jags they are a genuinely bad team and there's no way this Chargers roster should have any trouble whatsoever with them. I think it's clear the Chargers hopes of winning double digit games and challenging KC are already out of the window considering they are staring at missing a handful of the very best players on the roster for a good stretch of the season, so I'm really just watching now to observe whether this coaching cycle is as much empty 'rah rah' soundbite bullshit as I suspect it is, or whether there is something of substance to it. Either way, if the Chargers miss the playoffs again this season with that roster Staley should be shitcanned and Telesco should be straight out the door with him.

Staley is 2-5 in his last 7 HC'ing starts, the two wins being a squeaker over LV and a win over the Drew Lock Broncos. That 5 includes a roll-over loss to the Texans in a Covid week, the farce in LV in week 18 last year, and then yesterday's debacle. It's not good.

Edited by Boo Khaki

19 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Rashawm Slater done for the season. 

Cue a raging Boo in 3…2..1……

Funnily enough, i'm not remotely angry and wasn't even that annoyed by the end of the game on Sunday. I burst out laughing when the Jags had just gone 28 points up and Herbert trotted out on to the field. Throwing bombs at Guyton inside the 2 minute warning and watching him crumple with a season-ending ACL tear was just the icing on the cake.

When you've been a Chargers fan as long as I have you totally run short of the abilty to get angry with the team. Colossal disappointment is thd norm, most years are a litany of devastating injuries to key players and totally incompetent coaching. The only thing that really keeps you going is the one year in five or so that bucks the trend and isnt a complete and utter shitshow.

This year has gone from cautioys optimism to 100% pointless disaster in the space of 10 days, but that really isn't anything new or unusual for the Chargers or Chargers fans.