NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

46 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Gonna be hilarious when Baltimore throws even more money at Lamar Jackson.

Then Rodgers will take the hump because he isn’t the highest paid QB in the league and say he’s going to retire 

20 hours ago, RiG said:

44 days and counting...

I wonder if the Niners will have been able to get rid of Jimmy G by then!

In all honesty I think JG ends up being cut, it's just a question of exactly when.

There doesn't appear to be any demand for his services, and the only teams you can really say don't currently have a QB on the roster that is either JG's equal, or a young draftee in a 'prove it' season are Seattle and Houston. Houston appears to be totally happy to go forward with Mills, and in isolation Seattle isn't really a trade partner thanks to being a Divisional rival. If there were two teams sniffing around JG then I think SF would have an avenue to getting some sort of value for him, but I don't see why Seattle would consider a trade right now when they'd likely still be the best opportunity for JG to land a starting gig if SF just outright cuts him. I think SF will hold on to JG throughout Camp in case some team suffers a catastrophic QB injury and becomes an obvious trade partner, and they might well still hold on to him up toward they trade deadline for the same reason, but I don't think they'll want him hanging around and casting a shadow over Lance for any longer than is necessary, especially if Lance is less than stellar right from week 1.

The QB injury outcome is also clouded by the fact that most of the really competitive teams will be pretty hard against the cap anyway, so couldn't realistically sign JG without SF eating a lot of his salary and reshuffling their own rosters, so for that to be an option I think it can only really happen with a team that is perhaps not really in the playoff picture anyway and has a bit of cap space to play with.

I wouldn't rule out entirely that the niners just hold on to JG as a season-long back-up, but I think that will be their last resort option as it's just going to be a distraction, especially if they are not comfortably in the playoff bracket every single week. Of course, if Lance is absolutely terrible there is always the scenario where JG comes in, turns the season around, and drags them back into contention, but even in that case I still think he'd hit FA afterwards because SF has made it clear that they don't see a long-term future with him and it I don't think they'd give up on Lance after one season as starter no matter how awful he was.

Edited by Boo Khaki

Roquan holding out of Training Camp.

Wants a new contract, which always seemed likely to come this season anyway.

Oh and we've signed someone who might be decent at RG; Mike Schofield (former Charger). Only allowed a few sacks on 900+ plays and hasn't been called for Holding in 4 years.

2019 our entire OL was laughably bad, Schofield was the pick of the bunch, but only because he was consistently healthy and available, and didn't have a habit of being completely overwhelmed or blowing his assignment on any given play. He's a solid enough player, decent in pass pro, but doesn't really shift anyone in the run game. A decent character as well, but I'd say that overall he's below average as an NFL starting OG. Oday Aboushi was a definite upgrade, but Schofield was his usual passable self when Aboushi went down early on. He's pretty much the type of player that will always have value as a good depth and back-up piece, not let you down if he has to start, but you wouldn't have him pencilled in as a long-term part of your OL if you were serious about building something. I think the Donkeys sometimes lined him up at RT, but it's not something that he ever did as a Charger despite there being no end of problems at that position.

Edited by Boo Khaki

Schofield was awful for us, i thought he was out the league as i haven't heard much about him in a while.

Do the 49'ers need the money from Jimmy G to pay Debo and company? There are more and more people saying that Lance isn't ready yet to take this team on and it can't be easy to cut a player who, despite his perceived limitations, has taken the team to a superbowl and last seasons NFC championship game.

i can see a way that he is still on the team at the start of the season, unless they really need that money.

18 minutes ago, CountyFan said:

Murray's new deal has a "homework clause". 

Real good sign when your supposedly franchise QB needs to be told to watch film. 

I think you can look at that two ways. 

No, it isn't a great sign that a fourth year player at the most important position on the team has to have his feet held to the fire to do one of the basic tasks of his job, but on the other hand it offers the Cards a potential out from what appears on the face of it to be a bit of a risky investment.

I'd be stunned if Lamar Jackson's contract doesn't include something along similar lines. Perhaps not a 'study' clause, but I'd expect they'll mandate something to address the fact that he still looks like a bad college QB pretending to be an NFL starter, and limits what they can do so badly on O in terms of scheme that it's relatively simple to shut him down completely. 

On 26/07/2022 at 09:51, steelmen said:

Do the 49'ers need the money from Jimmy G to pay Debo and company? There are more and more people saying that Lance isn't ready yet to take this team on and it can't be easy to cut a player who, despite his perceived limitations, has taken the team to a superbowl and last seasons NFC championship game.

i can see a way that he is still on the team at the start of the season, unless they really need that money.

Shanahan has said they have officially moved on to Lance now so I'd surmise that Jimmy G is all but done now. Apparently the Niners still want something in return for a trade of Jimmy but I can't see them getting much. The Niners will have massive contracts coming up for Samuel and Bosa as well. They need to cut Jimmy if they want keep two guys who are much more important to the team. Things are apparently improving with Samuel in terms of his relationship with the team after the stand off a few months back.

In other Niners news, Dee Ford will apparently be released this week.