NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

On 06/07/2022 at 22:08, Boo Khaki said:

The Browns are eating 10million of his salary, so given that the cost is only a 5th rounder for a 1 year, 5 million dollar rental, it doesn't say much for Seattle's ambition that they apparently couldn't agree something similar. Clearly happy to roll to a 12 loss season and gamble they'll be in the mix for a decent QB in the draft.

I don't think they see Baker as a franchise QB which is fair comment. Happy enough to have a shite season then see who is available next draft/ off season. 

5 minutes ago, jagfox said:

I don't think they see Baker as a franchise QB which is fair comment. Happy enough to have a shite season then see who is available next draft/ off season. 

Well this is the nub of it. If they're looking for a guy like Brady, Mahomes, Rogers, Herbert, who is going to be top 5 in production year in, year out, then those guys are as rare as hens teeth and they're daft if their entire plan is to suck and hope one falls into their laps via the draft. I'm saying this in the specific context of talking about Seattle, given that Carroll is a stubborn, run-first minded HC. Mayfield is clearly not on a par with the top QB's, but I think there are a number of factors to consider. He has already proven that he's well capable of leading solid teams to the playoffs, he was playing extremely hurt last season, and he is still young enough that it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that he yet improves as his career progresses. 

If they've made a value judgement and decided that they just don't fancy him, that's fine and understandable, but I would take exception if the inference was that they don't think Baker Mayfield is 'good enough' to QB the Seattle Seahawks right now given the nature of the team and HC, and the alternatives already on the roster. I can understand it if they have trepidations about the contract situation, particularly if he was to light it up over the first half of the season. There would inevitably be a huge degree of pressure to tie him up on a long-term deal, which, given the sort of money being thrown at QB's just now, I could understand the reluctance to pay something similar to a guy with a patchy resume, and of course, a 1st round rookie is going to give them 5 years of team control on a relatively cheap deal, so I can see why that is also a factor.

Still, the only reason I was a bit surprised is that much of the talk about exactly why a deal couldn't be reached was the salary question, but as it turns out Cleveland were happy to eat the bulk of that anyway, so in hindsight it looks far more like teams were actually just sitting waiting in the hope Cleveland would give up and cut him, but Carolina were the most happy to bite the bullet and throw a bone to them once it became apparent that wasn't going to happen. It's kinda screwed the 9'ers if they had designs on trading Jimmy G, as Carolina was the only realistic partner given that I severely doubt they'd be willing to trade him within the division. I don't see anyone else QB-needy enough to bother, but then there's always Camp to get through and a good portion of the regular season prior to the deadline.

14 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

N’Keal Harry traded to the Bears for a 7th round pick in 2024

Doesn't hurt to give him a try for practically nothing.

Bears have picked up quite a few former high draft picks that haven't panned out so far at their respective teams.

Assume David Moore is the one being cut, after his recent transgression. 

Cardinals giving Kyler a 5 year/$230 million extension (160 million guaranteed)

I genuinely don’t see what he’s done to deserve it. I don’t watch a lot of Arizonas games but when I have Iv not been massively impressed by him. Maybe I’m wrong 

On 19/07/2022 at 12:36, CountyFan said:

Did anyone try for Munich tickets? I was 537,000th in the Q so gave up pretty quick. Couldn't have been any faster on the button either. Industrial-scale ticket scalping as usual. 

No, that's shite though. Was hoping to go if ever Bears are there. Hopefully the novelty will have worn off by the time of the Bears' first visit.

6 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Cardinals giving Kyler a 5 year/$230 million extension (160 million guaranteed)

I genuinely don’t see what he’s done to deserve it. I don’t watch a lot of Arizonas games but when I have Iv not been massively impressed by him. Maybe I’m wrong 

It's a lot of money to hand to a player who has never topped 4000 yards and has trouble throwing to the middle of the field. 

Given the Cards history with home-grown QB's I can understand that they want to hang on to what they perceive as a good one, but it has a bit of the 'Paying Kirk Cousins like a top 3 QB' whiff about it. I think the timing is a bit odd as well, and it does give the impression of the Cards having caved in after having a gun held to their head. Murray played like absolute shit over the second half of last season and was horrendous in their playoff loss, so considering they still had team control for two more years I'd have been wanting to see how he played the first half of this season before I thought about extending him. I can understand wanting to get things tied up before Training Camp, but well run organisations seem to be able to negotiate new deals with grounded players as Camp and the early season progresses. I still think Murray and his advisors have gone for a cash-in above all else, and it doesn't say much for his temperament. I genuinely wouldn't be shocked if he folds completely and this comes back to bite the Cards on the arse.

Edited by Boo Khaki