NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

Just now, johnnydun said:

Watched the Falcons v Titans game last night, neither had their first choice QBs playing and quite a lot of fringe players. I take it this is quite normal for preseason?

Yea. They don’t want to risk injuries to any of their stars. 

52 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Watched the Falcons v Titans game last night, neither had their first choice QBs playing and quite a lot of fringe players. I take it this is quite normal for preseason?

Yup.

For the most part you only ever really used to see the big names in the third pre-season game of the traditional four. This season is even more odd because they've increased the regular season to 17 games from 16, and cut one of the preseason, so there are only 3 preseason games for each team this year, and I suspect you'll see fewer starters playing than ever.

Chargers have already ruled out half-a-dozen or so of their top players playing at all this off-season, so no Herbert, Ekeler, Keenan Allen, Derwin James before Week One.

17 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

You would think they need a run out too, to gel with new players coming in. Unless it's totally different with American Football. 

Rookies tend to play quite a bit to get up to speed with the new and unfamiliar systems, familiarise themselves with terminology etc, but for guys who have been in and around the league for a few years that's far less of a concern. Different teams use different styles of offense and defense, in much the same way different football clubs play different systems, so there's sometimes a degree of familiarisation required there, but on the whole it's far easier for veterans with a suited skillset to transition from one system to another than it is for rookies and inexperienced players to get up to speed.

One other important but often overlooked factor is that the game takes a while for young players to get enough experience that is 'slows down' for them enough to start processing everything that is going on on an instinctual level, rather than having to read, think, and then react. Vets don't really have that problem, so there's not as much of a requirement to expose them to as much time on the field as possible.

Edited by Boo Khaki

Iv the square root of zero desire to watch Hard Knocks this season as it’s the Cowgirls and that w**k Jerry Jones. But on one of the many nfl podcasts I listen too they were talking about episode 1 and it was mentioned that Dak went for unscheduled MRI I’m guessing on his shoulder. That’s not a great sign at all if he’s still feeling pain this close to the season. Wouldn’t be surprised if he misses a good few weeks to start the season.   

There are criteria, you dont qualify for Hard Knocks if you've

1.) a first-year head coach,

2.) have made the playoffs in the last two seasons, or

3.) have appeared on the show in the past 10 years. Teams are, however, also allowed to volunteer for inclusion.

There were only 5 teams it could be this season - Cardinals, Broncos, Giants, Panthers and Cowboys.  From that lot you are always picking the Cowboys.

That the coaching staff still reference Austin Powers (1999 called and wants its cultural references back) says it all about the team - and aside from that I thought Episode 1 was very dull.

...and Shefty says Dak is fine.

Edited by drs

I always thought one benefit of going to a pro sports game in America would be the food being ridiculously indulgent but jesus f**k these look awful. 

Although I've been to 3 and only considered buying hot food at 1 because bevvy was so expensive which might say more about me. 

I've never bought food inside a stadium because the lot is usually full of vendors selling better stuff anyway. Tell a lie, I did buy a fish taco inside Jack Murphy stadium concourse once, but even then the stall was operated by a local restaurant and not the team itself, so you knew what you were buying in advance.

If the food at SoFi really is terrible then it won't be long before something is done about it. There are plenty of alternative places to eat nearby.

Beer's always overpriced, and it's US domestic crap, so I used to get hammered before going into the stadium and just top it up in a bar after the game.

Only death & taxes are now certain as it's a sad day & end of an era in Detroit as LS Don Muhlbach is no longer a Lion having opted to retire. The Muhl had been a Lion since 2004 racking up 260 games (37th overall in the NFL) & 2x pro bowls with only fellow Detroit cult hero Jason Hanson having played more games for the team. Also the last remnant of the '08 team.

For the stat nerds that's 2347 snaps on kicks with only one having been blocked while the league as a whole in that time has 434. The sole block was in week 12 2013 vs the Buccs. Unironically get him in the ring of honor ty.

Such was the longevity of Muhlbach's tenure that he was a team mate of current Lions HC Dan Campbell 06-08.

Good night sweet prince x

yox7j0onlgmlui8gewj7

On 10/08/2021 at 19:24, pozbaird said:

Anyone get tickets today for the games at Spurs in October? I’m off to Jacksonville v Miami, Oct 17. Always looked forward to my London NFL fix, but this year? Going down there with double the anticipation and frankly, childlike excitement. Multiple shandies may well be involved.

I moved down to London recently and eyeing this up as an experience I've never had before. Just wondering if £60 for the cheapest tickets is worth it? Also which of the 2 games is best to go to and likelihood of getting a ticket in the general sale next week?

I'd probably go for the Phins Jags game personally. Either game, you get to see a top rookie QB though.

Definitely a great day seeing NFL. Lasts about 3.5 hours. They usually do a halftime show of some kind.

Even my wife enjoyed the games and she isn't an NFL fan.

Atmosphere is nothing like a football game, nearly all fans gets on.