NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

1 hour ago, Boo Khaki said:

Watson needs to be realistic, in that half the teams with the quality of roster he seems to want to play with are already in Cap trouble and simply won't be able to eat his contract.

IF he is traded, and I still think that's less likely than him staying, it's more than likely going to be to a team with a middle-of-the-road roster rather than a 'win now' one. Given his likely asking price, a team in 'win now' mode would be selling the future to get him, and he's likely to find himself playing on a creaky roster with no means to restock in a year or two anyway. 

It's hard to see where the 49ers find the cap space to pay him, even if they do take the opportunity to take the $2.5 million dollar hit to cut Jimmy G. That's before you even look at what a potential trade might cost in both players and draft picks going the Texans way.

56 minutes ago, steelmen said:

Broncos are the best placed team to come to. If we fix right tackle he’s got a good line in front of him, terrific young talent at WR and TE. Defence is solid with Vic calling the shots. The only downside is pat shurmer as OC.

Texans will want to get him out of the AFC if at all possible.

On 11/02/2021 at 11:22, Boo Khaki said:

I'd forgotten about this wee Marty Schottenheimer gem -

The man utterly loathed the Raiders and everything about them. He kicked off our 13 game win streak against them, and had a ridiculous all-time record v's the franchise.💖

Yep, he couldn't stand Al Davis. His focus on Raider week in KC were legendary.

On 12/02/2021 at 13:54, Boo Khaki said:

Marty orchestrated his own firing, was warned repeatedly by ownership that his determination to hire his brother wasn't going to fly, and still insisted on appointing him anyway. He left the organisation with no option but to fire him by giving them an ultimatum.

The playoff thing is totally overplayed. Not Marty's fault Ernest Byner inexplicably dropped the ball, or that Marlon McCree doesn't just bat down the pass. Clear cut instances of a moment of idiocy on the part of a player robbing a coach of at least 1 Superbowl ring. If anything, he probably used to rouse the players up too much for playoff games, but then you can look at the number of times he made the playoffs in KC with absolute dugshit teams, and that for me is the ultimate vindication of his coaching, the fact that he invariably took whatever he was given and made them overperform. People can say what they want about him not winning a ring, but it's hardly a damning indictment of his coaching when his teams barely ever had the talent to make that a realistic proposition in any case. 2006 was the glaring exception. That team was by far and away the best team in the NFL that season and should have absolutely cigared the playoffs. The fact they utterly dominated Brady and the Pats and still lost was entirely of their own doing.

There was plenty of talent on those KC teams in the 90s, just not at quarterback outside of Montana or Rich Gannon, whom Marty mistakenly benched for freaking Steve Bono and then Elvis Grbac. Hell, the Chiefs secondary in the early 90s was freaking unreal and the 1997 team had very, very good talent. Marty was a great regular season coach, but his ultra-conservative style didn't fly in the playoffs against teams with competent quarterbacks.

Edited by AmericanFan
less

On 12/02/2021 at 14:10, Boo Khaki said:

Watson needs to be realistic, in that half the teams with the quality of roster he seems to want to play with are already in Cap trouble and simply won't be able to eat his contract.

IF he is traded, and I still think that's less likely than him staying, it's more than likely going to be to a team with a middle-of-the-road roster rather than a 'win now' one. Given his likely asking price, a team in 'win now' mode would be selling the future to get him, and he's likely to find himself playing on a creaky roster with no means to restock in a year or two anyway. 

Bang on.

I'll continue to beat this drum, but there's still no immediate reason for the Texans to trade him. Watson has no leverage other than to sit out, and if you're Houston, you should frankly be fine with him sitting out a year, going 1-15, and going into the 2022 draft with the No. 1 pick.

On 12/02/2021 at 13:32, pozbaird said:

Houston Texans look like the most dysfunctional franchise this side of the 2019 Jets.

Losing Watt is a good thing for the Texans from a business standpoint. They save $17.5 million in cap room and lose a player who is on the downside of his career, will be 32 at the start of next season and is probably worth 60 percent what he was going to make.

4 hours ago, AmericanFan said:

There was plenty of talent on those KC teams in the 90s, just not at quarterback outside of Montana or Rich Gannon, whom Marty mistakenly benched for freaking Steve Bono and then Elvis Grbac. Hell, the Chiefs secondary in the early 90s was freaking unreal and the 1997 team had very, very good talent. Marty was a great regular season coach, but his ultra-conservative style didn't fly in the playoffs against teams with competent quarterbacks.

Dugshit is hyperbole, but I remember those teams having absolutely nothing at WR or TE, I think KC went like 20 years or something between 1000 yard receivers. Yes, the QB's were really humdrum, and they did have Derrick Thomas and Neil Smith that could clobber enemy QB's, but my point was mainly that Marty was regularly winning double digit games in KC and playoffs without the sort of star calibre players that most of the competitors had. If you looked at the Bills teams of the early 90's Marty never had anywhere near that breadth and depth of talent to work with. People go on and on about his inability to win a Superbowl as if he was the HC of the stacked 49'ers and Cowboys teams of the early-mid 90's, when in reality he never actually had a roster that dominant besides perhaps in SD in 2006. He won playoff games in Pittsburgh, went toe-to-toe with the Bills, and should have beaten the Elway Broncos twice in succession in Mile High. I think that in reality he completely overachieved as a HC given what he had to work with, but that borderline talent sometimes got found out when they had to play the very best teams in crunch situations, hence the failure to win a SB. The truth is that Marty was let down at crucial points by players that were only in that position in the first place because of his fantastic coaching.

Funny how nobody talks of Andy Reid as a choker any more because his team held it together for three straight playoff games for once. One win totally changes perceptions. If Byner holds on to the ball for another two yards, or Marlon McCree simply bats the ball down, nobody is talking about Marty Schottenheimer's playoff 'failure'.

2 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Dugshit is hyperbole, but I remember those teams having absolutely nothing at WR or TE, I think KC went like 20 years or something between 1000 yard receivers. Yes, the QB's were really humdrum, and they did have Derrick Thomas and Neil Smith that could clobber enemy QB's, but my point was mainly that Marty was regularly winning double digit games in KC and playoffs without the sort of star calibre players that most of the competitors had. If you looked at the Bills teams of the early 90's Marty never had anywhere near that breadth and depth of talent to work with. People go on and on about his inability to win a Superbowl as if he was the HC of the stacked 49'ers and Cowboys teams of the early-mid 90's, when in reality he never actually had a roster that dominant besides perhaps in SD in 2006. He won playoff games in Pittsburgh, went toe-to-toe with the Bills, and should have beaten the Elway Broncos twice in succession in Mile High. I think that in reality he completely overachieved as a HC given what he had to work with, but that borderline talent sometimes got found out when they had to play the very best teams in crunch situations, hence the failure to win a SB. The truth is that Marty was let down at crucial points by players that were only in that position in the first place because of his fantastic coaching.

Funny how nobody talks of Andy Reid as a choker any more because his team held it together for three straight playoff games for once. One win totally changes perceptions. If Byner holds on to the ball for another two yards, or Marlon McCree simply bats the ball down, nobody is talking about Marty Schottenheimer's playoff 'failure'.

I'm only speaking from the Chiefs point of view. Marty was a hell of a coach, but his playoff losses in KC became redundant and aggravating. 

Marty never adjusted in the playoffs and never figured out you have to have a top QB to win the Super Bowl. It was always, "We're going to win with the run game and defense." That worked well in the regular season back in that time, but in playoff crunch time, you still needed a quarterback to make plays. This is why the Chiefs made it to the AFC Championship game in 93, because Montana was clutch, as opposed to the Chiefs squads in 90, 91, 92 and 95 that were overly conservative and didn't even try to do anything innovative offensively in playoff losses to teams with better quarterbacks.

His style of play also wore down the team physically to the point when the playoffs came around, the Chiefs were beat to hell. And his offense was easy to game plan for in the playoffs, as you knew he was going to try and run it between the tackles.

His inability to recognize Rich Gannon was superior to both Bono and Grbac was baffling. If Gannon plays the majority of the game in both the 95 and 97 playoffs, the outcomes are different. That 97 Chiefs team was loaded and really should have won it all.

The thing is though, he wasn't wrong about the run game and defense, because that's how all the best teams won Championships back then. His problem was, the best teams of the early-mid 90's  could run and stop the run, but they also had capable big-play passing games and could shut down the opposition receivers as well. 

Chargers fans like to moan a lot about how our running game has never been the same since LT got old and slowed down. Nobody seems to remember that even by 2006 LT wasn't the player he was 3 or 4 years earlier, Marty just fed him 25 carries week in week out, and he was still good enough to put up monster numbers and carry the offense. The problem isn't that there aren't any LT's around, it's that there aren't any coaches who are going to give the same back 400+ touches in a year. You're absolutely correct, in that I think that was Marty's biggest flaw, i.e. his pig-headedness. I remember Doug Flutie struggling a bit in Brees' rookie season, and the press and fans clamouring for Brees to play. Marty was steadfast, repeatedly answered that Brees simply wasn't ready to start NFL games. It got to the point where you could see Marty becoming increasingly annoyed being asked the same thing week after week, and I half expected him to start Brees, watch him struggle, just so he could turn to the media and say 'I told you so'. That was the sort of guy he was.

Edited by Boo Khaki

On 31/01/2021 at 15:22, CountyFan said:

I am assuming the saints will save some money if/when Brees retires? 

Seems to have passed me by but the Saints and Brees have renegotiated his deal.

https://saintswire.usatoday.com/2021/02/13/2021-saints-salary-cap-space-drew-brees-retire/

https://overthecap.com/brees-and-saints-renegotiate-contract/

Just another $70 million to go...