NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

On 06/02/2021 at 16:25, G51 said:

Chris Wesseling's wife announced on Twitter earlier that he's died from his cancer yesterday. It had spread to his lungs and other organs.

Absolutely gutted by this. I loved the ATN podcast and he was such an intelligent and great guy on it. A truly brilliant personality. Going to be missed by a lot of people.

Sorry to hear. Also only 46. Awful news.

On 11/02/2021 at 17:22, Boo Khaki said:

I'd forgotten about this wee Marty Schottenheimer gem -

The man utterly loathed the Raiders and everything about them. He kicked off our 13 game win streak against them, and had a ridiculous all-time record v's the franchise.💖

He did indeed. Maybe he should have spent more time trying to win playoff games than only caring about beating the Raiders...

He really was great football mind, and rivalry-aside was a guy who really deserved to get a ring. Him being sacked after finishing 14-2 is still one of the more ridiculous things I’ve seen since watching the sport.

2 hours ago, Nightmare said:

He did indeed. Maybe he should have spent more time trying to win playoff games than only caring about beating the Raiders...

He really was great football mind, and rivalry-aside was a guy who really deserved to get a ring. Him being sacked after finishing 14-2 is still one of the more ridiculous things I’ve seen since watching the sport.

Marty orchestrated his own firing, was warned repeatedly by ownership that his determination to hire his brother wasn't going to fly, and still insisted on appointing him anyway. He left the organisation with no option but to fire him by giving them an ultimatum.

The playoff thing is totally overplayed. Not Marty's fault Ernest Byner inexplicably dropped the ball, or that Marlon McCree doesn't just bat down the pass. Clear cut instances of a moment of idiocy on the part of a player robbing a coach of at least 1 Superbowl ring. If anything, he probably used to rouse the players up too much for playoff games, but then you can look at the number of times he made the playoffs in KC with absolute dugshit teams, and that for me is the ultimate vindication of his coaching, the fact that he invariably took whatever he was given and made them overperform. People can say what they want about him not winning a ring, but it's hardly a damning indictment of his coaching when his teams barely ever had the talent to make that a realistic proposition in any case. 2006 was the glaring exception. That team was by far and away the best team in the NFL that season and should have absolutely cigared the playoffs. The fact they utterly dominated Brady and the Pats and still lost was entirely of their own doing.

7 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

I’m sure they lost a playoff game in KC with the kicker missing 3 field goals. Ended up losing 10-7 I think

Vague memories of this being v's the Colts, and the normally dependable Nick Lowery having a shocker. Might have been the year the Colts got to the Championship game with Harbaugh at QB then got Slashed by the Steelers.

Edit - yeah, correct year, but it was Lin Elliot who choked. Lowery had been moved on/retired by that point.

Edited by Boo Khaki

Watson needs to be realistic, in that half the teams with the quality of roster he seems to want to play with are already in Cap trouble and simply won't be able to eat his contract.

IF he is traded, and I still think that's less likely than him staying, it's more than likely going to be to a team with a middle-of-the-road roster rather than a 'win now' one. Given his likely asking price, a team in 'win now' mode would be selling the future to get him, and he's likely to find himself playing on a creaky roster with no means to restock in a year or two anyway. 

14 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Watson is apparently "intrigued" in the possibility of a trade to various teams with the 49ers and Broncos among them. The Jets don't make his list.

If his pal JJ is on the way out and he's already said goodbye to Hopkins, I can't see how he stays at the Texans. 

The 49ers should do everything they can to get him, he'd be a great fit in a Kyle Shanahan coached team. A team one season removed from reaching the SuperBowl.

If he goes there the other 3 qb's in the division would be Wilson, Murray and Stafford, wow.