NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

20 minutes ago, RiG said:

Also the Lions are being pretty vocal on Stafford leaving because there are a lot of teams scrambling for a QB that could improve them and they want to try and maximise their gain from trading Stafford.

$10m Roster Bonus cost on day 5 of the Football Season has forced the Lions front office to be so loud.

5 hours ago, BukyOHare said:

I'd say they'll get 3  x 1st round picks and then free up cap space to try and get the likes of Stafford if they could. 

You could also argue with the disintegrating reputation the Texans have, who's actually going to actively want to go there?

3 firsts would be a complete steal for the team that gets Watson.

Money talks.

5 hours ago, The Golden God said:

They have him right now and are completely useless. It's not a given that the team he goes to will automatically become great within a year either, they could get the number 2 pick and a couple more from the Jets, adding Watson won't make them playoff contenders straight away especially in a tough division so they could get a good pick next year. They could punt him to SF and get Garapollo, they'd save cap space and have good picks to try and replace Hopkins and build a better roster around a solid QB. It all doesn't matter anyway cause he won't play in Houston, he holds all the cards, they need to get rid of him to rebuild cause of the ridiculous trades they've made. I get your point about the Ravens but their issue is they have a running back playing QB and everyone is just pretending he is a top QB, Jackson isn't even decent. You don't need an elite QB to win it all, you can do it with a solid one. I don't think any scenario works out well for them, they'll still be shite for years to come and O'Brien will be despised in Houston for ever.

They're one year out from being in the divisional round of the playoffs.  He wasn't the reason they were useless this year, and you don't trade away a franchise QB.

If you're Houston, why would you trade him to the Jets, an AFC team you would potentially see in the postseason until Watson retires? You don't want to trade away a franchise QB to a team you would have to fight through to get to the Super Bowl. And who says Watson would approve it or a trade to San Fran in the first place?

He doesn't hold all the cards. Outside of having a say in where he can be traded to, he really has no leverage whatsoever. He can sit out for a year, but the Texans still own his rights. If he retires, he has to cut a $21 million check back to the Texans.

The QB is the foundation you build around and they already have it. 

It may not work out for them, but the chances are far greater it doesn't work if they trade him than if they don't.

Yes, you do need an elite QB (or one who plays like it in the playoffs such as Foles with the Eagles) to win it all unless you have an all-time great defense (Ravens 2000, Bucs 2002). 

Edited by AmericanFan
less

1 hour ago, AmericanFan said:

He doesn't hold all the cards. Outside of having a say in where he can be traded to, he really has no leverage whatsoever.

Having a say on where he can be traded to is pretty big leverage I'd say.

I can see his agent providing the Texans with a list of teams he'd be willing to go to. It's then upto the Texans do thrash out a deal that they're willing to do business at. 

Watson needs to go to a team that's got some targets already in place and equally if not more important, a coaching team that'll get the maximum out of him. 

Imagine if Mahomes had landed in KC with no Andy Reid, no Tyreek Hill or Kelce already there. 

A qb can only do so much by himself, the more targets he's got the better his and teams' chance of success. How would Brady have got on this season with that Patriots receiver and tight end group. 

With all that in mind if I was Watson's agent I'd already be having lunches with the likes of the Rams, 49ers, Steelers, Panthers, Dolphins and Saints in general terms. I'd be even more surprised if teams haven't been making the first move. 

Its got to be the right move for Watson as well as the Texans. You go to the Jets for example and it could be a season, probably 2 or 3 before they're even a .500 team. It would be out of the frying pan and into the fire for Deshaun as far as I'm concerned. 

3 hours ago, BukyOHare said:

Having a say on where he can be traded to is pretty big leverage I'd say.

I can see his agent providing the Texans with a list of teams he'd be willing to go to. It's then upto the Texans do thrash out a deal that they're willing to do business at. 

Watson needs to go to a team that's got some targets already in place and equally if not more important, a coaching team that'll get the maximum out of him. 

Imagine if Mahomes had landed in KC with no Andy Reid, no Tyreek Hill or Kelce already there. 

A qb can only do so much by himself, the more targets he's got the better his and teams' chance of success. How would Brady have got on this season with that Patriots receiver and tight end group. 

With all that in mind if I was Watson's agent I'd already be having lunches with the likes of the Rams, 49ers, Steelers, Panthers, Dolphins and Saints in general terms. I'd be even more surprised if teams haven't been making the first move. 

Its got to be the right move for Watson as well as the Texans. You go to the Jets for example and it could be a season, probably 2 or 3 before they're even a .500 team. It would be out of the frying pan and into the fire for Deshaun as far as I'm concerned. 

He can't force a trade.

Just because a player comes out and says, "I want to be traded," doesn't mean the team has to do it. The Texans GM was on radio earlier today (I live in Texas and benefit from being able to hear things like this) and actually said they have no interest in trading him. This might mean the new Houston GM is very smart and gets that you have to get the quarterback right to win.

Watson is literally in the worst position to demand something because he just signed a contract that gave Houston his contract rights through 2028.

Yes, a QB can only do so much by himself, but you have to get the QB right in today's NFL. You can have mediocre to crappy linemen, average receivers and an average defense, and an elite QB still gives you a chance to win.

Or you can be like the current edition of Baltimore or the Chiefs a few years back and have a top-7 defense, Hill, Kelce and the leading rusher in the league in Kareem Hunt, but you won't get past the divisional round because Alex Smith isn't a top-tier QB.

9 hours ago, AmericanFan said:

He can't force a trade.

Just because a player comes out and says, "I want to be traded," doesn't mean the team has to do it.

Sorry if that's what my post was suggesting. I absolutely agree that he can't force a trade but the Texans won't want an unhappy franchise qb about the building. Both parties would be better going their separate ways. 

This story has gathered so much pace and doesn't seem to go away, if there was nothing in it, Watson could just come out and say he's staying. That hasn't happened as far as I'm aware and because of that it makes me believe he does want out. 

I think he's an elite player, top 3 or 4 in the league probably and he's still only 25.

Yes the Texans would be crazy to lose him but I think trading away Hopkins was the beginning of the end for Watson. This has been a huge bearing on him wanting to move in my opinion. 

Can’t complain about that deal for Stafford. As noted above, of course, you can’t depend on draft picks but a couple of firsts is good going.  Goff clearly isn’t as good as Stafford, perhaps the Lions are looking to draft a QB at 7 and Goff would allow them to sit at the start and develop behind him.

Fucking love it. Genuinely believe we are a decent QB away from being properly decent (and we are decent enough, having made the playoffs 3 of 4 years under McVay) 

These are going to be late first round picks. The draft is a crapshoot, and we have a good recent mid round drafting record. I'm not arsed about the picks. 

This screams "dont waste Donald's prime" and I love it. Stafford is going to be a fucking star in this offence.