NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

44 minutes ago, Antiochas III said:

Washington will be considering the option...  

2 first, and every second round pick we have for however long they want as we suck at 2nd round.

Funnily enough, I don't think that's a bad option for Watson at all. That division is so poor right now that WFT could probably afford to trade a bit of the future away and still be favourites for the division the next couple of seasons at least. I also think if Houston does trade him, they'll look to get him out of the AFC if at all possible, which is why I'd favour NO over Pitt, and also why I think WFT is a possibility.

10 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

Both seem like logical fits, but I don't know if either actually has the draft capital, or would be willing to give it up. I think if Watson were to go to either, it would probably only be in a scenario where he's caused an absolute shitstorm, the Texans are just desperate to dump him, and he gets shifted for something under his real value, like 1st and 2nd this year in exchange for Watson and Houston's 3rd or something.

I wonder if Lawrence goes #1 overall, the Jets become a possibility if they're not sold on Fields or can't trade down, but I think if it's  Lawrence #1, Fields at #2, then Miami would be silly not to try and work something out involving the #3 pick and Tua. I think that's a possibility pre-draft, because if they acquire Watson then what the Jags and Jets do at #1 & #2 is of no consequence to them anyway. I'm not certain Watson would really entertain a trade to Jax or NYJ anyway if he wants out of Houston because they're not looking like winning any time soon. I suppose that depends on just how desperate he is to get out, and whether he's willing to totally burn bridges in Texas and make it impossible for the Texans to hold on to him.

The first two are the only really poor teams with an excess draft picks, the Jets have Darnold as potential weight in a QB trade, Miami has picks and a young QB they could ship, and were arguably a  good vet QB away from being a serious contender for a deep playoff run this year. 

Its going to be interesting because as you say it would make no sense for Watson to leave Houston to a team that's in rebuild mode. 

A player of his talent, at his age needs to be going deep in the playoffs. Season after season. 

If available, it'd be interesting to see who's in and what they give up. 

I think that's along the lines of what they'd ask, but I don't think they'd necessarily get two 1st's. 1'st, player/s, and a couple of lower picks/swaps of picks I think. I don't think they'd get a Watson for 2x 1st's or more straight up.

Maybe a 1st this season and a 1st next, but I think that would only happen in a scenario where they buying team is desperate to fend off other interest and just dives straight in. The Texans don't fill me with confidence that they have the wits to stand pat and hope for a bidding war. It might also be the case that they'd just want the deal done and the attention it'll draw over asap

Edited by Boo Khaki

I've got to say, the last couple of seasons have not been fun. There's an argument to be made for us going scorched earch and full rebuild, but teams can get stuck for years waiting & trying to pick up a QB the calibre of Watson. Look how many attempts the Browns have had and Baker's still not exactly top 5. It's a huge risk. It's just depressing that the Texans have yet again fucked something up. Hopefully Casserio and Watson can get on the same page despite Cal's best efforts.

1 hour ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

What would they likely be after, two firsts?

Its a shame that Obrien is away.  you could get him for a 2nd, 3rd and a broken player.

away from the exuberant trades that Texans have done in the past, that Tunsil deal was way to big, i think 1st and a couple of 2nds with a player chucked in. Wouldn't go above 2 firsts.

1 hour ago, Spain said:

I've got to say, the last couple of seasons have not been fun. There's an argument to be made for us going scorched earch and full rebuild, but teams can get stuck for years waiting & trying to pick up a QB the calibre of Watson. Look how many attempts the Browns have had and Baker's still not exactly top 5. It's a huge risk. It's just depressing that the Texans have yet again fucked something up. Hopefully Casserio and Watson can get on the same page despite Cal's best efforts.

The thing is, you're in rebuild anyway, whether you like it or not. The problem is you don't have the capital to begin the rebuild this off-season, two of the few players you do have that could be considered assets are unhappy, one is getting to the 'need to win something now' stage of his career, and the other is on a long contract but clearly uncomfortable at the prospect of playing it out on a team that is unlikely to be competitive for most of it. 

All that, combined with the cap situation, means that there are really only two options -

1. Keep Watson and Tunsil, have next to no ability to add any sort of talent for at least one year, suck, piss off the fan base, piss off Watson

or 

2. Try and get what you can for Watson and Tunsil, let Watt go, add some cheap, talented, and young players beginning right now with the draft capital, suck, at least give the fanbase some little optimism even though there's bound to be a near-riot for trading away your QB, don't have the cancer of an unhappy Star player on a huge contract to deal with.

I honestly think that if you keep Watson it's still going to be at least three seasons before you are semi-competitive again. I think the timescale would be much the same if you traded him away, and yes, I accept the point that true franchise QB's are not easy to come by and you really should hang on to them, but once you reach the point whereby you are toying with playoff runs again, Watson is going to be eyeing yet another huge contract, and you have to figure if that's a situation you really want to be getting into when you could still be in the middle of your next QB's rookie deal.

I think there's also the possibility that you could trade Watson after this season, but I think that doesn't really make any sense for Houston as his stock is higher now than after a miserable year on a ropey team, plus you'd just be delaying the retooling that you could be starting right now. I think a trade with Miami and picking up Tua makes a lot of sense, because you'd even be able to trade Tunsil away given that Tua is a leftie, plus, if Tua works out you'd still have four more years of him on his rookie deal before you have to think about giving him big money. 

Edited by Boo Khaki

4 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

I accept the point that true franchise QB's are not easy to come by and you really should hang on to them, but...

Oh, I agree with pretty much everything you've said. It's just this point that's stuck with me, and how depressing it is that we finally found our guy and then proceeded to f**k it up quite so spectacularly. Maybe Caserio will do an outstanding job and get us back to being competitive again soon, but it feels like going for the guy we tried to get last year means no change in direction whatsoever and our downward spiral will continue even further. I do feel like we could see the squad completely gutted. Watson, Tunsil, Watt, Fuller, Mercilus... I don't think anyone's off the table.

Edited by Spain

Just now, Lambie's Pigeon Feed said:

I was reading something the other day about the possibility of Stafford, Watson or Ryan ending up behind centre at the 49ers next year. Honestly I'd go Stafford, Watson is a big over rated wean imo.

The theory behind Stafford going is that with the Lions in rebuild mode & both a HC plus GM they may want to bring in their own QB & build around that.

2 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:

The theory behind Stafford going is that with the Lions in rebuild mode & both a HC plus GM they may want to bring in their own QB & build around that.

I'd be more than happy to punt Jimmy G for Stafford, didn't realise how (relatively) young he still is, seems to have been around forever. Wouldn't fancy Matt Ryan though, always been a coupon busting choker.

I've always liked Stafford, but I think he'll always be tainted by association with the stink in Detroit over the past 10 years or so. A clean break and a fresh start would do everybody some good I think. It's amazing how different and refreshed a franchise feels once you finally break with your long standing QB, even if it is a guy that's liked and respected. Sometimes I think you just need a total reset.

I still like Lock but I would take Stafford in a second and to be honest.. Id take Wentz too. Eagles problems are a lot more than just him.

interesting off season coiming up. Will all these QB's be moving about when there is so many teams way over the reduced cap number?

lets see if this works.. 2021 cap space now...

Jacksonville Jaguars

$73,388,552

New York Jets

$61,594,892

Indianapolis Colts

$60,542,959

New England Patriots

$54,599,836

Washington Football Team

$40,513,860

Cincinnati Bengals

$34,324,943