NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

1 hour ago, steelmen said:

Saw a report over the weekend that the football team might stay called the football team for a while.

It’s different

They have confirmed it likely starts next season with the current name.  People believe that the Franchise will be worth more if the new owner has a clean slate to name it how he wants (e.g. Amazonians).  

On the selling part the minority owners have agreed a $900m deal to sell their 40% stake but as Snyder has first refusal he has blocked the sale as he refuses to give money to one as they are currently in litigation.  Has agreed to buy the other two out, but the three have a all or nothing deal.  

Edited by Antiochas III

A tightening of Covid guidelines for players and coaches on the sidelines. Also a reduction in the numbers allowed to travel, reduces the amount of staff allowed to be around players and coaches, and limits post-game interactions between opposing teams.

8 hours ago, Brummie Clyde said:

You should be doing a lot better, you have a really talented roster, even with Derwin out.

Think the Defensive Coordinator should be first out the door.

I think the last couple of seasons have thrown some doubt on that. We have a lot of high draft picks who are just not performing, and a few players with big reputations who are either flattering to deceive, or contributing nothing at all despite the size of their contracts.

We seem to be perpetually one of the most injured franchises in the NFL, but in reality, the team that started the game yesterday was only down four 'opening day' starters, and two of those were ruled out for the season way back before week one. It's not like this roster is absolutely decimated, it's just that the players who are missing are standouts, and what's left is being exposed for the absolute trash it is. 

We have a recurring, long-standing issue with getting no contributions of any substance from our 2nd and 3rd round draft picks. Telesco gets plaudits from people who don't really follow the Chargers for selecting guys like Bosa, James, Keenan Allen, and it looks like they've hit a home-run with the selection of Herbert thankfully, but in reality those are the 'no-brainer' picks that any half-way competent NFL couldn't pass on anyway. Where Teleso falls down is that he spends practically every 2nd and 3rd round pick he's had on OL, DL, and LB's, yet they either last a season or two and get cut, play out their contracts at a totally underwhelming level, or end up perma-crocks who never actually see the field at all.

This team has half-a-dozen players who are absolutely elite at their position, so I think it's easy to conclude that they must be a strong over all team. The reality is that despite signing Turner and Bulaga in the off-season, the OL is still complete and utter crap, can't run block for toffee, and Herbert is also one of the most consistently pressured QB's in the NFL. The entire defense has played like utter crap the season long. It begins up front. Outside of Joey Bosa there is absolutely no pass-rush whatsoever, we have a 1st round DT who has played himself off the field because he plays the run like he's on roller-skates, and another 3rd round 1-tech who is just completely ordinary as both a pass-rusher and run-stopper. Melvin Ingram is being paid like an elite edge-rusher, which he has never been in his entire career, yet he doesn't have a single sack this season, has a total of 4 combined tackles or something, and he's been frequently seen pulling up and lollygagging as soon as he gets brick-walled at the LoS. Casey Heyward has noticeably slowed down, and despite having a huge reputation coming out of college, Nasir Adderly has played his natural position like he has no clue what he's doing back there.

You could argue that it's down to poor coaching not being able to exploit a decent talent level, but I'm not convinced that's the whole of it. Telesco has had far more horror picks (manti te'o anyone) than he has had home-runs, yet he seems to get a free pass while the trials and tribulations of the team are all blamed on Lynn's coaching.  From Telesco's drafts, we have the following still on the roster -

2013 - 1 player, Keenan Allen

2014 - 0 players, the last was released after 2018 season

2015 - 1 Player, Denzel Perryman

2016 - 2 Players, Joey Bosa, Hunter Henry

2017 - Telesco's most productive draft, with the only one of seven players drafted not still on the roster being Desmond King, who was traded just before this season's deadline. It's still let down by the fact that Telesco totally wasted the 7th overall pick on a one-dimensional WR2, and also that most of the players from this draft are just mediocre back-ups who are playing out the final season of their deals.

2018 - Again, 6 of 7 players still on the roster, but the only contributor of note being a guy who, by the time this season is done, will have missed many more games than he has played. The remainder of this draft is just roster fodder and back-up garbage.

2019 - All players still on the roster, but Tillery and Adderly looking increasingly like busts. The Tillery pick especially was a head-scratcher. Rest of the draft backups and ST'ers

2020 - Herbert, yep, Murray has been totally underwhelming for a 1st round pick, Kelley up and down, remainder ST'ers

So, if you want to critically review his drafting history, you can sum Telesco up by saying that he has a shocking number of his #1 picks who don't make a second contract, a ridiculously number of high round selections who are permanently injured or contribute nothing, he can't draft OL or DL players for toffee, Bosa aside, and overall longevity and retention of his picks is poor.

You are right that Bradley should be the first out of the door. You can make the case that he should have been shit-canned after the hilariously inept and embarrassing gameplan that got the team blown out by NE in the playoffs nearly two years ago, but the past two seasons especially have been a damning indictment of his ability to call a game. We supposedly have an 'elite' pass rushing duo in Bosa and Ingram, but we consistently hover near the bottom of the league in pressures and sacks. Despite this, Bradley blitzes the least of any DC in the league, and commentators repeatedly make the point that he 'trusts his front four to get to the QB', which would be fine if they did, but they don't, and yet still he does absolutely nothing to help or adjust. The number of times he rushes three on do-or-die passing downs is unforgivable, and it's not on 3rd or 4th and forever either, he even does it inside our own Redzone.

As I've mentioned already this week, Chargers ST's have ranked 32 of 32 in three of the past four seasons, worst ST's statistically this season since the 2000 Buffalo Bills. So we have literally the worst ST's in the past 20 years of the NFL in it's entirety. George Stewart has been the ST's coach throughout this, yet still his job never seems to be under any threat with Lynn defending him left and right. 

I think that both Bradley and Stewart would have been fired long ago by any half-way competent franchise. I think firing Lynn right now would be entirely justified, but I think he'll survive until January, and even then I'm not convinced he will be fired. Steichen can stay, the O is not the problem with this team, even though Lynn is gameplanning around a determination to run the ball like it's the 1990's in an ever more passing-happy league, and is actively harming his young QB by trying to protect him.

The Chargers are a shit-show from top to bottom, but they are invariably described as 'unlucky' or 'underperforming', because people who don't watch them acutely do not realise just how poor the coaching and the playing fundamentals are. We have a great young QB, a WR who is perpetually open and catches everything, and an absolute animal of a DE who, in any decent scheme would put up 20 sacks year-in-year-out, but we can't cover kicks, can't return them, can't kick easy FG's, can't block for toffee, don't tackle well, have a DC who has no idea how to use his players, and a D that seems to be completely exhausted by the third quarter every single week. They are not a good team, no matter what it might look like when our few dependable players are lighting it up.

Edited by Boo Khaki

A tightening of Covid guidelines for players and coaches on the sidelines. Also a reduction in the numbers allowed to travel, reduces the amount of staff allowed to be around players and coaches, and limits post-game interactions between opposing teams.

They should probably also stop players from jumping into the crowd after scoring a TD as well tbh.

9 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

I think the last couple of seasons have thrown some doubt on that. We have a lot of high draft picks who are just not performing, and a few players with big reputations who are either flattering to deceive, or contributing nothing at all despite the size of their contracts.

We seem to be perpetually one of the most injured franchises in the NFL, but in reality, the team that started the game yesterday was only down four 'opening day' starters, and two of those were ruled out for the season way back before week one. It's not like this roster is absolutely decimated, it's just that the players who are missing are standouts, and what's left is being exposed for the absolute trash it is. 

We have a recurring, long-standing issue with getting no contributions of any substance from our 2nd and 3rd round draft picks. Telesco gets plaudits from people who don't really follow the Chargers for selecting guys like Bosa, James, Keenan Allen, and it looks like they've hit a home-run with the selection of Herbert thankfully, but in reality those are the 'no-brainer' picks that any half-way competent NFL couldn't pass on anyway. Where Teleso falls down is that he spends practically every 2nd and 3rd round pick he's had on OL, DL, and LB's, yet they either last a season or two and get cut, play out their contracts at a totally underwhelming level, or end up perma-crocks who never actually see the field at all.

This team has half-a-dozen players who are absolutely elite at their position, so I think it's easy to conclude that they must be a strong over all team. The reality is that despite signing Turner and Bulaga in the off-season, the OL is still complete and utter crap, can't run block for toffee, and Herbert is also one of the most consistently pressured QB's in the NFL. The entire defense has played like utter crap the season long. It begins up front. Outside of Joey Bosa there is absolutely no pass-rush whatsoever, we have a 1st round DT who has played himself off the field because he plays the run like he's on roller-skates, and another 3rd round 1-tech who is just completely ordinary as both a pass-rusher and run-stopper. Melvin Ingram is being paid like an elite edge-rusher, which he has never been in his entire career, yet he doesn't have a single sack this season, has a total of 4 combined tackles or something, and he's been frequently seen pulling up and lollygagging as soon as he gets brick-walled at the LoS. Casey Heyward has noticeably slowed down, and despite having a huge reputation coming out of college, Nasir Adderly has played his natural position like he has no clue what he's doing back there.

You could argue that it's down to poor coaching not being able to exploit a decent talent level, but I'm not convinced that's the whole of it. Telesco has had far more horror picks (manti te'o anyone) than he has had home-runs, yet he seems to get a free pass while the trials and tribulations of the team are all blamed on Lynn's coaching.  From Telesco's drafts, we have the following still on the roster -

2013 - 1 player, Keenan Allen

2014 - 0 players, the last was released after 2018 season

2015 - 1 Player, Denzel Perryman

2016 - 2 Players, Joey Bosa, Hunter Henry

2017 - Telesco's most productive draft, with the only one of seven players drafted not still on the roster being Desmond King, who was traded just before this season's deadline. It's still let down by the fact that Telesco totally wasted the 7th overall pick on a one-dimensional WR2, and also that most of the players from this draft are just mediocre back-ups who are playing out the final season of their deals.

2018 - Again, 6 of 7 players still on the roster, but the only contributor of note being a guy who, by the time this season is done, will have missed many more games than he has played. The remainder of this draft is just roster fodder and back-up garbage.

2019 - All players still on the roster, but Tillery and Adderly looking increasingly like busts. The Tillery pick especially was a head-scratcher. Rest of the draft backups and ST'ers

2020 - Herbert, yep, Murray has been totally underwhelming for a 1st round pick, Kelley up and down, remainder ST'ers

So, if you want to critically review his drafting history, you can sum Telesco up by saying that he has a shocking number of his #1 picks who don't make a second contract, a ridiculously number of high round selections who are permanently injured or contribute nothing, he can't draft OL or DL players for toffee, Bosa aside, and overall longevity and retention of his picks is poor.

You are right that Bradley should be the first out of the door. You can make the case that he should have been shit-canned after the hilariously inept and embarrassing gameplan that got the team blown out by NE in the playoffs nearly two years ago, but the past two seasons especially have been a damning indictment of his ability to call a game. We supposedly have an 'elite' pass rushing duo in Bosa and Ingram, but we consistently hover near the bottom of the league in pressures and sacks. Despite this, Bradley blitzes the least of any DC in the league, and commentators repeatedly make the point that he 'trusts his front four to get to the QB', which would be fine if they did, but they don't, and yet still he does absolutely nothing to help or adjust. The number of times he rushes three on do-or-die passing downs is unforgivable, and it's not on 3rd or 4th and forever either, he even does it inside our own Redzone.

As I've mentioned already this week, Chargers ST's have ranked 32 of 32 in three of the past four seasons, worst ST's statistically this season since the 2000 Buffalo Bills. So we have literally the worst ST's in the past 20 years of the NFL in it's entirety. George Stewart has been the ST's coach throughout this, yet still his job never seems to be under any threat with Lynn defending him left and right. 

I think that both Bradley and Stewart would have been fired long ago by any half-way competent franchise. I think firing Lynn right now would be entirely justified, but I think he'll survive until January, and even then I'm not convinced he will be fired. Steichen can stay, the O is not the problem with this team, even though Lynn is gameplanning around a determination to run the ball like it's the 1990's in an ever more passing-happy league, and is actively harming his young QB by trying to protect him.

The Chargers are a shit-show from top to bottom, but they are invariably described as 'unlucky' or 'underperforming', because people who don't watch them acutely do not realise just how poor the coaching and the playing fundamentals are. We have a great young QB, a WR who is perpetually open and catches everything, and an absolute animal of a DE who, in any decent scheme would put up 20 sacks year-in-year-out, but we can't cover kicks, can't return them, can't kick easy FG's, can't block for toffee, don't tackle well, have a DC who has no idea how to use his players, and a D that seems to be completely exhausted by the third quarter every single week. They are not a good team, no matter what it might look like when our few dependable players are lighting it up.

Some effort putting that together! A great, insightful post.

I'd happily trade Mike Williams for the right offer, because I don't particularly rate him as a player, and he's also an IR candidate every single season. I think that potentially though he could turn out to be a statistical monster because we finally have a QB with a colossal arm that can throw the ball 50-60 yards through the air with no problems. If we had an HC with the mindset to actually use our weapons I think he'd easily be a 1200 yard WR any year he stays healthy.

Thinking a bit more about this; even with our current shitty OL, I think if we had Arians, Peyton, Reid, or that type of HC, and a healthy Austin Ekeler, Herbert would put up 5000yards no problem, Allen and Williams both easily clearing 1000 yards, and Hunter Henry would be up thereabouts too. The underusage of Henry is absolutely criminal, but I can only imagine it's because our tackles are so bad he's being asked to stay in and block a lot more so his targets are way below where they should be. Henry's receiving skills are easily on a par with the likes of Kelce and Kittle, but unlike most of the top receiving TE's he's also a far above average in-line blocker. If LAC doesn't resign him, and that's a distinct possibility, I think he'll probably go somewhere like NO, GB or such and easily put up a 1000 yard, 12TD season, and the media will act like 'where the hell did this guy come from' when he's been that player since the day we drafted him.

Edited by Boo Khaki

Going to be a large HoF class this season I think -

https://www.nfl.com/news/pro-football-hall-of-fame-class-of-2021-modern-era-semifinalists-manning

Calvin Johnson, Peyton Manning, Clay Matthews, Sam Mills, Hines Ward, Reggie Wayne, Charles Woodson for me, although I suspect Matthews will miss out again, and Barber, Harrison, or Lynch will probably make it, despite Harrison and Lynch in particular being nowhere near HoF calibre players IMO.

Still no Don Coryell, which is a complete and utter joke.

It's a crying shame that a lot of the better Bears players from that era are totally overshadowed by William Perry. Decent footballer in his own right, but all anyone seems to remember about the '85 Bears is Perry, Walter Payton, and perhaps Jim McMahon.

Dent and Singletary both got their dues, but yeah, Hilgenberg and McMichael were great players, Wilber Marshall was no slouch either.