NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

5 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Single-handedly? :blink:

Entire Colts D was complete and utter shite from start to finish yesterday. Your QB put up 346 yards on the road at a divisional opponent and you still lost because they couldn't get Minshew off the field thanks to abysmal coverage and inept tackling. It was like watching the Chargers of the past 5 years. I would have thought it was pretty obvious to Reich and Co that running it 20 times and having Rivers throw it 46 isn't viable, since that's exactly how the Chargers have been using him the past few years with pretty much exactly the same result. I'm not sure where you're seeing these 'wobblers all over the shop' either. I watched the entire game and only saw him throw one wobbly pass. There's no velocity on his passes but as I've already said, that's been a consistent throughout his entire tenure as an NFL starter, it's not a new thing. Swap starting QB's yesterday and you'd have still lost only by a far wider margin. Rivers was still making plenty of plays with is arm, but if you're going to have him throw it 46 times per game then the picks are inevitable. 

How are the yards 'meaningless' when it's a one-score game and the Colts made no serious attempt to get a running game going? What else is the QB supposed to do? 

Not make high-school level awful interceptions?

You're taking it too literally and it was a bit of fun on my part. But it's basically same ole Rivers of the last few years where he piles up the yards between the 20s, then throws a couple of bone-headed interceptions, usually in the fourth quarter, that cost the team a chance at a win. Throwing for a billion yards is severely undermined when you throw interceptions that directly lead to 10 points for the opponent, hence Rivers' slightly below average QBR of 56.3 for the game.

I agree it was stupid for the Colts to throw it 46 times, just as it was stupid to not kick the FG in the first quarter. Frankly, that's a horrible loss for Indianapolis as Jacksonville is trying to lose this year. But Rivers was a big reason for the loss. Throw those two passes away and Indy's chance to win skyrockets as Jacksonville isn't set up deep in Colts territory.  Those two interceptions weren't great plays by the Jacksonville defense, they were horrid throws by Rivers.

There's the saying that a quarterback is "just good enough to lose" and that's basically what Rivers has been a lot of during the last few years. Rivers keeps you competitive, but he can also keep the opponent competitive and I don't want him as my quarterback in the fourth. 

I don't disagree with any of that, I just think it's a bit daft to imply he was the only reason the Colts lost when the D stunk all day, they missed kicks, and the receivers were dropping passes late on.

It was just like watching the Mike McCoy Chargers all over again, the only thing missing was a late game punt from inside the opponents half while trailing.

On the flipside, it was a pleasant change to watch the actual Chargers play like shit yet come away with the win after the opponent out-Chargersed the Chargers.

24 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

I don't disagree with any of that, I just think it's a bit daft to imply he was the only reason the Colts lost when the D stunk all day, they missed kicks, and the receivers were dropping passes late on.

It was just like watching the Mike McCoy Chargers all over again, the only thing missing was a late game punt from inside the opponents half while trailing.

On the flipside, it was a pleasant change to watch the actual Chargers play like shit yet come away with the win after the opponent out-Chargersed the Chargers.

That's fair.

You deserve a keg of beer for having to watch Mike McCoy coach a team. Kind of reminds me when Herm Edwards and Todd Haley were coaching the Chiefs (sans 2010). I'd literally want to drink myself to sleep most Sundays.

If I ever run into LT up in the metroplex at a TCU game I'll try to get his autograph and mail it to you, haha.

I still can't understand how McCoy ever got an HC'ing gig in the first place. The ultimate example of a moderately successful OC falling upwards just because. I never understood the 'he got Tebow to the playoffs' argument, as that was achieved by totally removing about 80% of the playbook and limiting his ability to screw up, not playcalling ingenuity, and even then, Denver only squeaked into the playoffs because of a Cowboys back being a total clown and running OOB.

Truly, I thought I'd seen the very worst of infuriating HC'ing during the Norv Turner era, but McCoy took it to another level altogether. It took 20 games as HC for me to be absolutely certain the guy was totally out of his depth and a complete liability, but they persisted with him through four full seasons. Completely baffling.

So that’s week 1 in the books. What was your overall thoughts on the action? Was it better than you expected? Did anyone surprise you?
I’d give the performance of the week to the Washington Football Team for their comeback win over the Eagles

Glad there were no covid shenanigans. 

Don't think there was any noticeable difference in home advantage with empty or reduced capacity in terms of results. Maybe less pressure on refs I suppose. 

Cards definitely team of the week. 

From a Bills perspective the schedule is looking pretty tough this year after last year's easy one, play both West divisions plus Steelers and Titans. Think 4-0 vs dolphins and jets will be necessary to make the playoffs (could be halfway there come Sunday night I guess). 

It was a real statement win from the Cardinals, delighted to see it. Next up is Washington, who were probably the other surprise performers of week 1, so it will be interesting to see how that one goes. Both teams' strengths match up against each other, I can see it being fairly low scoring.

2 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

So that’s week 1 in the books. What was your overall thoughts on the action? Was it better than you expected? Did anyone surprise you?
I’d give the performance of the week to the Washington Football Team for their comeback win over the Eagles

A lot of really sloppy and amateurish football all around. It's to be expected I suppose with the lack of pre-season, rookie camps etc, but it really was noticeable even by usual week 1 standards. I don't think it'll take long to get the rust off for the most part, but there's bound to be a team or two who don't shake the funk and stink it up all season long.

I didn't think there were any huge surprises really, but if I was a Lions fan I'd be near suicidal right now. Everything that franchise does or is involved in seems to turn to shit.

5 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

I was very impressed with the Cardinals in their win over the Niners. I had said on Twitter before the game that it felt like a trap game for SF especially with so many players out but I was surprised at just how good the Cardinals were at times. The NFC West could be really cut throat this season.

For the Niners Jimmy G again fails to impress. A real 7/10 QB (at best) paid like a 9/10 QB. His hospital pass to Kittle was just awful.

Just delighted the NFL is back. I've missed Scott Hanson from my TV  :wub:

Edited by RiG

6 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

I was surprised some of the offenses put up the numbers they did with no preseason and very laid back training camps.

5 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

Don't think there was any noticeable difference in home advantage with empty or reduced capacity in terms of results. Maybe less pressure on refs I suppose. 

Yeah if fans were allowed in then at least two of the Washington sacks would have been flagged for roughing the passer due to hom... the large amount of away fans.  

7 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

They were never gonna win at Baltimore. Bengals at home next, you never know? Other than the Bears there is no team I would like to see have a good season than the Browns. They have suffered too much.

Naaah. It's always nice to have that team to look at and go "could be worse".

I think the Bengals beat them, tbh. Thought Burrow was pretty impressive in week 1, and even though the Browns were up against a win it all contender, they just didn't look good at all.

Sanu signs for the Niners. No surprise there as SF are banged up at the WR position and Sanu had been rumoured for some time in the past with Shanahan discussing a potential move just a day or so ago.

ETA: I think Sanu was a target last season before they eventually went with Sanders.

Edited by RiG

Naaah. It's always nice to have that team to look at and go "could be worse".
I think the Bengals beat them, tbh. Thought Burrow was pretty impressive in week 1, and even though the Browns were up against a win it all contender, they just didn't look good at all.
It wouldn't be a surprise to me at all if the Bengals beat them. Wk17 last year was the lowest point of a low season. Bengals won it without a fight put up.