NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

On 09/09/2020 at 12:46, steelmen said:

I appreciate I see the world through broncos glasses but how the fcuk is drew lock the worst rated starting QB in the NFL?

I know he has only 5 starts but he did win 4 of them and one was against a good Texans team.

Rated above him
joe burrow - yet to throw an nfl pass
Dwayne Haskins - has less wins from more games
Kyler Murray- won 1 more game but played a whole season.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-monson-ranking-all-32-starting-quarterbacks-ahead-of-the-2020-nfl-season

He shouldn't be.  My dad went to Mizzou, so I've followed them since I was a kid and watched nearly all of Lock's college games. IF Denver can give him decent production, he can be a top-15 QB. If they give him a really good offensive line, he can be a top 10. Lock played with  no NFL-caliber wideouts and no NFL-caliber linemen at Missouri and carried that team to wins.

Edited by AmericanFan
more

He shouldn't be.  My dad went to Mizzou, so I've followed them since I was a kid and watched nearly all of Lock's college games. IF Denver can give him decent production, he can be a top-15 QB. If they give him a really good offensive line, he can be a top 10. Lock played with  no NFL-caliber wideouts and no NFL-caliber linemen at Missouri and carried that team to wins.

I know it’s a strange thing to get angry about but rating him below a guy who has never taken an nfl snap just pisses me off.

From what I’ve saw he looks like he has all the confidence in the world, whereas the ones before him and after Manning all looked like rabbits in the headlights.

I’m not convinced about our tackles but the centre of the OL will be solid. He’s got plenty weapons around him, most are rookies but they seem a talented bunch. Guess we will find out soon!

I've sat here for the last two years saying the Browns will be different this year. That's an improvement on the absolute mental turmoil of the previous years. I think Stefanski, Hunt and Chubb are going to shake it up and take the pressure off Mayfield by scheming up for the run and using two tight ends.

My fear is that the Ravens look amazing, Burrown can transform the Bengals and the Steelers are still the Steelers. It's a really tough division and as we know things fall apart fast in Cleveland.

He gets a bit more respect in the nfl.com rating, he’s 26th above bridgewater, Minshew, Fitzpatrick, tyrod, trubisky, and Haskins.

Not sure I agree with him being above some of them as he’s only played 5 games but still Joe Burrow is sitting pretty at 23.

5 hours ago, Fife Saint said:

I've sat here for the last two years saying the Browns will be different this year. That's an improvement on the absolute mental turmoil of the previous years. I think Stefanski, Hunt and Chubb are going to shake it up and take the pressure off Mayfield by scheming up for the run and using two tight ends.

My fear is that the Ravens look amazing, Burrown can transform the Bengals and the Steelers are still the Steelers. It's a really tough division and as we know things fall apart fast in Cleveland.

It's hard, but this year more than ever it's important for Browns fans to look at the process instead of the results. Teams with coaching and QB continuity have a big advantage this year.

6 hours ago, steelmen said:

I know it’s a strange thing to get angry about but rating him below a guy who has never taken an nfl snap just pisses me off.

From what I’ve saw he looks like he has all the confidence in the world, whereas the ones before him and after Manning all looked like rabbits in the headlights.

I’m not convinced about our tackles but the centre of the OL will be solid. He’s got plenty weapons around him, most are rookies but they seem a talented bunch. Guess we will find out soon!

Don't blame you. If Lock had half the weapons in college Burrow had at LSU, he'd have easily been a top 15 pick in the draft. That's another reason I'm not sold on Burrow, either. He basically played on an NFL offense last year in college with all the weapons around him, so of course he was going to put up a billion yards against college defenses.

It's going to take time for Denver to gel on offense. Like you said, there's talent, but it's all very young. Broncos should shoot for 2nd in the division with the Chargers offense being trash and the Raiders being a huge ?, but really, y'all need to be looking at 2021 and 2022 as years to get back to the playoffs. If Lock throws 15-20 picks this year, I wouldn't be discouraged. He's still only 23, but the potential is there.

Edited by AmericanFan
more

6 hours ago, Fife Saint said:

I wouldn't worry about the Bengals. Burrow isn't going to light up the league as a rookie and that roster is still pretty bad.

9 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

So after ten straight years of sub-par OL play and chronic injuries, the Chargers have one starting OL out for Sunday and two others questionable. EVERY FUCKING SEASON WITHOUT FAIL THIS HAPPENS :angry:

I understand the frustration, but you are playing the Bengals. Your defense is going to eat Burrow alive. I honestly think you could kick three field goals and win this game.

19 hours ago, G51 said:

It's hard, but this year more than ever it's important for Browns fans to look at the process instead of the results. Teams with coaching and QB continuity have a big advantage this year.

Sport GIFs & random things: Houston Texan coach Bill O'Brien ewwww face.

I wouldn't worry about the Bengals. Burrow isn't going to light up the league as a rookie and that roster is still pretty bad.
I'm thinking longer term. You've got a first overall QB in Cincy who had the best college season in history, Jackson is a phenomenon and the Steelers will move on from Ben shortly.

There's also the unthinkable that Baker flops this season and a big decision needs made.

11 minutes ago, Fife Saint said:

I'm thinking longer term. You've got a first overall QB in Cincy who had the best college season in history, Jackson is a phenomenon and the Steelers will move on from Ben shortly.

There's also the unthinkable that Baker flops this season and a big decision needs made.

Or perhaps look at it this way. Lots of top QB picks flop, and Cincy's roster is at least 2 years away from being average.

Burrow played on a team at LSU with 14 draft picks, including a first-round WR, first-round RB, the top WR in the 2021 draft (Chase, who just opted out of the college season), a TE in Moss who just made Washington, another TE drafted by the Seahawks and 3 linemen who were drafted. So he played on a college offense with at least 8 other NFL players. This wasn't Mahomes playing with a bunch of nobodies at Texas Tech or Drew Lock playing with a bunch of nobodies at Missouri.

It also took an NFL assistant coming to the college game to turn Burrow into a star. Going into 2019, Burrow wasn't projected as going in the top 5 rounds. Maybe he'll be awesome, but there's just as big a chance that he'll suck.

Lamar Jackson isn't built for the long run. If he keeps running as much as he does, his body is going to wear down. And the Steelers moving on from Ben is in your favor.

It's easy to take shots at the Browns, but all jokes aside, if they can get their pish together, that offense should be very, very good.

5 hours ago, AmericanFan said:

I understand the frustration, but you are playing the Bengals. Your defense is going to eat Burrow alive. I honestly think you could kick three field goals and win this game.

Gus Bradley's D never eats anyone alive. It's the most passive system I've ever seen an NFL team play. Bosa and Ingram, yet near the bottom of the league in sacks. He has a total shutdown corner in Casey Heyward, and above average talents elsewhere in the secondary, yet opposing passers had a 97 PR last season.

Bradley refuses point-blank to blitz and relies utterly on superstar talent making individual plays to get by. He's a ludicrously over-rated DC and his defences are puffed-up to be far more effective units than they are in reality simply because they've always had stand-out individuals making big splash plays. It's the ultimate bend then eventually break system because it's entirely reliant on an individual coming up with a sack or INT to get off the field, yet he does nothing at all to actually assist his players to get into a position to make these plays. 

If he actually had the balls to scheme to make the most of the talent available then LAC might actually have the top flight D the media seems convinced they do, however, I'm expecting another year of watching Ingram and Bosa both draw double-teams on every passing down, and the QB still having all day in a clean pocket to pick apart our endless zone. LAC D absolutely should be murderous on opponents considering the pick investment they've made on that side of the ball, but the reality is it's anything but. Despite the reputation, Burrow couldn't have asked for a more friendly start to his NFL career. If the OL keeps Bosa off him then he's got nothing else to worry about, because Bradley won't actually throw anything else at him.

4 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Gus Bradley's D never eats anyone alive. It's the most passive system I've ever seen an NFL team play. Bosa and Ingram, yet near the bottom of the league in sacks. He has a total shutdown corner in Casey Heyward, and above average talents elsewhere in the secondary, yet opposing passers had a 97 PR last season.

Bradley refuses point-blank to blitz and relies utterly on superstar talent making individual plays to get by. He's a ludicrously over-rated DC and his defences are puffed-up to be far more effective units than they are in reality simply because they've always had stand-out individuals making big splash plays. It's the ultimate bend then eventually break system because it's entirely reliant on an individual coming up with a sack or INT to get off the field, yet he does nothing at all to actually assist his players to get into a position to make these plays. 

If he actually had the balls to scheme to make the most of the talent available then LAC might actually have the top flight D the media seems convinced they do, however, I'm expecting another year of watching Ingram and Bosa both draw double-teams on every passing down, and the QB still having all day in a clean pocket to pick apart our endless zone. LAC D absolutely should be murderous on opponents considering the pick investment they've made on that side of the ball, but the reality is it's anything but. Despite the reputation, Burrow couldn't have asked for a more friendly start to his NFL career. If the OL keeps Bosa off him then he's got nothing else to worry about, because Bradley won't actually throw anything else at him.

Ah, did forget about the Bradley factor.