NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

On 05/09/2020 at 08:08, AmericanFan said:

Really interested to see the Colts offense this year with what I think is a phenomenal offensive line and Rivers behind center. I'm not sure how much Rivers has left in the tank, but I think he's got enough to get Indy to the second round of the playoffs.

On 05/09/2020 at 09:07, strichener said:

I fear that Rivers will be the weak link tbh.  Would have preferred Newton if we were going down the veteran route.

I think Rivers will be absolutely fine if the Colts OL plays to an average to above average level. 

I've watched practically every game Rivers has played in the NFL and last season was the first time I'd seen any obvious decline in his ability at all. In the very first game of the season he was late releasing a throw into the EZ which was picked despite the TE being wide open. It immediately sent my spidey senses tingling because it was the most unRivers-like mistake I'd seen him make. You can say what you like about his flaws, but recognising a play and getting the ball out on time has never been one of them. There was a perceptible decline in his cognitive quickness last season, notably on a few occasions where Allen had left his man for dead, gotten behind the D, and Rivers basically waited until the trailing man had caught up before getting the ball to KA. Despite it being noticeable, it wasn't a problem to the extent that it was costing the team wins, he just isn't quite as sharp in that respect as he has been before now.

A lot was made if his turnover numbers last season, and yes, in the last 6 games or so he was literally chucking it up for grabs half the time. If you'd seen the state of our pass protection it becomes a lot more obvious why. Rivers has always been the kind of QB who, when the rest of the team isn't up to it, tries to do far too much on his own rather than reining it in and taking what's on offer. There were times last year where he was being beaten to the bottom of his drop by the pass rush and left no pocket to step up into, so, given that we were trailing so frequently his only real option was to just lob it long and hope someone in a Chargers uni came down with it. The few occasions the OL actually managed to keep him clean he was still capable of performing at a well above average level. See the GB game. Typical vintage Rivers schooling a D, outplaying a much more vaunted opposition QB. He lives or dies by the state of his OL though and it's been that way throughout his career. He's a pocket statue to an extent, but he's also one of the very best as sensing pressure, stepping up, and getting the ball out despite having persistently useless protection. I can't say I noticed any real decline in that department last season, the OL was just so egregiously bad that there was never any opportunity for him to step up away from the rush in the first place.

If the Colts keep him upright he's still good enough to buy them 3-4 wins on his own just like he has for SD/LAC down the years. There was seasons where we'd have honestly been a 1-15/0-16 team were it not for PR. I wouldn't pay any attention to people claiming his arm strength is gone. People have been saying that since at least 2014, and I can only assume they've never really watched PR play because he's never had an arm at any point in his career. He usually underthrows any route more that 40 yards, but he's been doing that consistently since 2006 and it's one of the reasons we never bothered going and getting a true speedster WR. He is and always has been a touch and placement passer, and I can't say I noticed any decline in that part of his play last season either. His speed of thought and reading the routes has declined, but everything else is still the same old unathletic and lumbering PR.

Edited by Boo Khaki

@Boo Khaki You obviously know a bit about the game and the Chargers - I drafted  Austin Ekeler in the first round of my fantasy draft last night, have I put too much on him?  I wanted a running back who also catches passes and he was the best option left as far as that is concerned from what I could see.

[mention=34492]Boo Khaki[/mention] You obviously know a bit about the game and the Chargers - I drafted  Austin Ekeler in the first round of my fantasy draft last night, have I put too much on him?  I wanted a running back who also catches passes and he was the best option left as far as that is concerned from what I could see.

He helped me, along with mccaffery go unbeaten in the regular season games last year... I lost in the final.

42 minutes ago, steelmen said:

He helped me, along with mccaffery go unbeaten in the regular season games last year... I lost in the final.

I had McCaffrey last season, I won the league pre-playoffs but lost in the first round.  McCaffrey is just so good for fantasy but he went Number 1 in my draft and I was sleected 11th!

I don't do Fantasy so don't really have any insight into it as a thing, but fwiw, I think Ekeler will probably produce more or less the same numbers as last season. If any Charger is likely to suffer I think it's going to be Mike Williams. Not just because he's already staring at missing most of September, but Tyrod isn't a QB who habitually takes risks and throws the ball long like Rivers does. I think defences will be more keyed on stopping short and intermediate stuff than previously, which you would think would spell bad news for Ekeler, but I think LAC has enough genuine talent at the skill positions that opponents wont be able to take liberties, will still have to cover all depths of the field, and considering Tyrod's inherently conservative tendencies, that might mean that Ekeler still stays the regular hot-read and dump-off target he was for Rivers.

I don't think Ekeler is really given credit and recognition for just how talented he is. He's genuinely capable of running the ball up the gut, he's stupidly strong for his size, and he's shifty enough to make people miss in open field and take short passes all the way. I think he'll get his yards even if the offence is slightly down on total production over the past few years because of a drop off at QB. The OL should be slightly improved even though there is still an obvious void at LT. I think our run/pass balance is likely to be skewed slightly more towards running it than it has been, but Ekeler is definitely a big part of the ground game as well, so I can easily see him producing another 500-600 yards if overall team rushing attempts are up, though I think there's a possibility that Justin Jackson (who is also a hugely under the radar back, he has absolutely elite vision and balance) or the rookie Kelley start soaking up more and more of the early down carries if they are productive early in the season. The feeling after Camp was that Kelley had probably just edged it over Jackson, but I think it's more than likely going to be a true committee in the LAC backfield this season, and I suspect Lynn will just ride whoever is producing at any given point. Best case scenario I could see either of Jackson/Kelley putting up near 1000 yards on the ground, while Ekeler chips in with another 500 or so and perhaps slightly reduced targets and REC yards.

On 08/09/2020 at 12:56, Bully Wee Villa said:

Season predictions, then?

AFC Champions: Chiefs
NFC Champions: Saints
Super Bowl Winners: Chiefs
Surprisingly Good: Colts
Surprisingly Bad: Bucs
Season MVP: Mahomes

Would add Steelers to surprisingly good list and 49ers to surprisingly bad list. Apart from that you're spot on. 

The bucs love in is particularly infuriating. They've been shite for 2 decades and all of a sudden we are meant to believe in a 43 year old washed up QB being the saviour? Give me a fucking break. 

I appreciate I see the world through broncos glasses but how the fcuk is drew lock the worst rated starting QB in the NFL?

I know he has only 5 starts but he did win 4 of them and one was against a good Texans team.

Rated above him
joe burrow - yet to throw an nfl pass
Dwayne Haskins - has less wins from more games
Kyler Murray- won 1 more game but played a whole season.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-monson-ranking-all-32-starting-quarterbacks-ahead-of-the-2020-nfl-season