NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

9 minutes ago, RiG said:

49ers sign Jordan Reed presumably because they knew that Travis Benjamin was going to sit out the season (now confirmed).

How long before he picks up his 8th concussion? Pretty shocked any team would touch him with his concussion record, tbh.

Edited by die hard doonhamer

How long before he picks up his 8th concussion? Pretty shocked any team would touch him with his concussion record, tbh.

Probably just want some depth at TE. They seem to be doing similar with the Dion Jordan deal today.

On 02/08/2020 at 08:43, lichtie23 said:

CJ Mosley opts out now. Could be like the year of the “scab” players at this rate

Only 66 players opted out, which is barely more than 2 per team. 
And as I pointed out previously, some who opted out were border line players who might get cut and make nothing so they took $150K instead.

Only 66 players opted out, which is barely more than 2 per team. 
And as I pointed out previously, some who opted out were border line players who might get cut and make nothing so they took $150K instead.

If they don't make a team next year, they'll need to pay it back

10 hours ago, NathanQP said:

If they don't make a team next year, they'll need to pay it back

Good luck with that. 
No way that could ever happen.

Not only would the players not do it, it would be a massive public relations hit for the teams to demand pennies (to them) back after just cutting a player.

Edited by AmericanFan
Adding

Niners and Kittle closing in on a deal to make him the highest paid TE int he league "by far".

Cowboys also add to their DL by getting Everson Griffen in.

Wow. That's about 50% more than the previous highest deal I think?

ETA: Apparently "$40 million is the same as Amari Cooper, and a million less than Odell Beckam Jr. Kittle has more guaranteed money than Michael Thomas, Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, and DeAndre Hopkins."

Edited by RiG

14 hours ago, RiG said:

Wow. That's about 50% more than the previous highest deal I think?

ETA: Apparently "$40 million is the same as Amari Cooper, and a million less than Odell Beckam Jr. Kittle has more guaranteed money than Michael Thomas, Tyreek Hill, Mike Evans, and DeAndre Hopkins."

49ers overpaying for a tight end, imo.  Kittle is a hell of a player, but with the cap likely not rising next year, this is a bit of a gamble money-wise.

30 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

While, on the face of it, it looks like a stupid amount of money for a tight end, Kittle is easily as valuable to the 9ers as a top receiver would be, given his production in the passing game. It resets the TE market, and I don't think that it is unjustified.

He's not just a receiving threat. His YAC is superb but he is also invaluable when blocking to spring runs for the likes of Mostert. I think (stress think) his receiving numbers dropped off during the playoffs but he was critical in Mostert exploding in games like against the Packers. A lot of money but as you say it's arguably justified given just how important he is to the team and Shanahan's schemes.

Edited by RiG

KC announced they had agreed a new deal with Kelce last night which, I think, averages out around $14 million a season versus the $15 million for Kittle.

https://www.nfl.com/news/chiefs-travis-kelce-contract-extension
Ah, I missed that. The guarantees in the Kittle deal are impressive too. I thought Kelce's people would have wanted to trump Kittle but I guess he's on the older side.