NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

5 hours ago, Sydney Carton said:

Two firsts and change for a safety seems like a good deal for the Jets? Although as it's the Seahawks the picks will probably be in the high teens or low 20s

Good for the Jets but shows a lack of belief in the personnel department at Seattle.

2 hours ago, Fife Saint said:

Heap of players opting out for the season, 5 from the Pats.

Patrick Chung just became the sixth to opt out.  I'm not sure I would give the season any better than 50/50 odds of being completed with the way things are going, especially after the Marlins news yesterday.

On 27/07/2020 at 04:10, Sydney Carton said:

Two firsts and change for a safety seems like a good deal for the Jets? Although as it's the Seahawks the picks will probably be in the high teens or low 20s

It depends on if you want a known thing or like speculation. 
Adams is arguably the best safety in the league, while draft picks don’t pan out a lot.

If Seattle gets to the Super Bowl with Adams playing a big part, this will have been a good trade.

5 hours ago, Fife Saint said:

Heap of players opting out for the season, 5 from the Pats.

One thing to keep in mind is some of the players are opting out for business reasons. 
For instance, the 2 players on the Ravens who opted out were not likely to make the team. 
So instead of risking getting cut and making no money, both took a guaranteed $150K from opting out. Smart business decision by both.

Hightower, Chung and Bolden amongst the 6 to opt out for the Patriots. Bolden not such a blow for them, as they have loads of good RBs. But their Defence looks seriously depleted.

Eddie Goldman has opted out for us. A shame, as he's steady as a rock and has barely missed a snap for us.

You can understand it though. I think Hightower's wife just had a baby and his Mum has diabetes and Chung's wife is pregnant, so it will happen.

Interesting about players doing it to have the guaranteed money. I hadn't thought of that. I think one of our undrafted RBs (something like Artavis Pierce) may have opted out for that reason.

To be fair to undrafted rookies, it will ge even more unlikely for you to make a roster this season, as training camps aren't going ahead as normal.

2 hours ago, Brummie Clyde said:

Hightower, Chung and Bolden amongst the 6 to opt out for the Patriots. Bolden not such a blow for them, as they have loads of good RBs. But their Defence looks seriously depleted.

Eddie Goldman has opted out for us. A shame, as he's steady as a rock and has barely missed a snap for us.

You can understand it though. I think Hightower's wife just had a baby and his Mum has diabetes and Chung's wife is pregnant, so it will happen.

Interesting about players doing it to have the guaranteed money. I hadn't thought of that. I think one of our undrafted RBs (something like Artavis Pierce) may have opted out for that reason.

To be fair to undrafted rookies, it will ge even more unlikely for you to make a roster this season, as training camps aren't going ahead as normal.

Undrafted rookies don't get any money for opting out. Otherwise they would all do it.

One thing to keep in mind is some of the players are opting out for business reasons. 
For instance, the 2 players on the Ravens who opted out were not likely to make the team. 
So instead of risking getting cut and making no money, both took a guaranteed $150K from opting out. Smart business decision by both.
Did I see the stipend of 150k is a loan and repayable?

32 minutes ago, Fife Saint said:
21 hours ago, AmericanFan said:

Did I see the stipend of 150k is a loan and repayable?

I’m under the impression that veterans under contract who opt out due to C-19 receive the $150K outright (obviously it would be paid out over the season).

Those who have medical issues and opt out receive $350K.

35 minutes ago, AmericanFan said:

I’m under the impression that veterans under contract who opt out due to C-19 receive the $150K outright (obviously it would be paid out over the season).

Those who have medical issues and opt out receive $350K.

The terms are that it is treated as a salary advance from their tolled contract.  The $350k for those with medical conditions is not a salary advance.

Edited by strichener

Still a little surprised they never scheduled the first 3 weeks of the season as a round of division games with the last 3 also being said games, that way if they had to lop off a bit of the season there would have been an obvious chunk. 

I fear this is going to end up in farce. 

Chargers give Joey Bosa the largest guaranteed contract for a defensive player in NFL history.

Worth every penny IMO. Yes I'm a Chargers fan, but I don't believe there's a more complete DE in the entire league. He's only 25 years old, so he should hopefully be playing to an elite standard across the length of the deal. He has the quickest hands of any DE I can recall watching in 35+ years of NFL, and unlike a lot of the top pass-rushing Ends, he more than carries his weight against the run as well. If Linval Joseph actually provides the solidity inside that the DL was wholly missing last season, then I'd expect Bosa to post 15-20 sacks provided he plays a full 16 game slate. Looking forward to watching him finally play fully healthy from the get-go once again. 8)

10 hours ago, strichener said:

The terms are that it is treated as a salary advance from their tolled contract.  The $350k for those with medical conditions is not a salary advance.

I find it hard to believe it will ever have to be paid back if a player is cut. 
For instance, De’Anthony Thomas was likely not to make the Ravens. 
If they cut him next offseason or training camp, I doubt they will be like, “Oh, and we need that $150K back.”

If you’re a fringe player who has made some cash, might as well take the guaranteed $ now.

Matt Stafford placed on Covid IR by the Lions. Not hard to understand why he would opt out given his wife's medical history.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-8471705/amp/Detroit-Lions-QB-Matt-Stafford-wife-Kelly-welcome-fourth-child-brain-surgery.html?__twitter_impression=true

Edit: later tweets reporting that Stafford hasn't opted out, but returned a positive test having shown no symptoms.