NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

On 22/02/2020 at 23:00, pozbaird said:

I’m a huge fan of the London games. Been going every year for ten years now. Real, meaningful, NFL, in a world class stadium, an hour’s flight away? We go down Fri - Mon, make a long weekend of it. Treat ourselves to hospitality. Absolutely top drawer. Love my Wembley NFL weekends, so you stop pissing on my chips. 😀

12260B87-BCA6-4CD9-A2D7-D800563AE77F.jpeg

Agree with this, love the London games. And I think you were brilliant in Steptoe and Son, mate.

• 2 weeks later...
That’s the new CBA passed. 17 game season from 2021

It didn't pass by much, not really that keen on an extra game even though it will mean one less waste of time pre season match. 14 teams into the playoffs starting next season. 

I like the idea of extra games but 17 just seems daft. Some teams will have 8 home games and others 9, just doesn't have any balance. Same with the actual teams , 9 conference games and 8 non etc. 32 teams with 16 games each was perfectly symmetrical.

I sense that they will be pushing for expansion in the future and this is the intial groundwork (and a London team is never going to happen).

4 minutes ago, mrpaddyx said:

I like the idea of extra games but 17 just seems daft. Some teams will have 8 home games and others 9, just doesn't have any balance. Same with the actual teams , 9 conference games and 8 non etc. 32 teams with 16 games each was perfectly symmetrical.

I sense that they will be pushing for expansion in the future and this is the intial groundwork (and a London team is never going to happen).

Yeah, it’ll be an 18-game schedule within a few years.

I guess the home/away/neutral stuff with the fixtures will balance out over a few years, but a 17-game schedule is definitely shite.

Presumably more than 17 can't happen until the next CBA. 

I think the intention is that it will be 8 home, 8 away, 1 neutral from day 1, is it not? It'll be a mix of international and non-NFL US cities.

I agree, one of the complaints about international series games has been from teams losing a home match, that nullifies that argument. Immediate problem though is if international travel is going to be anything like normal come next season.

1 hour ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Presumably more than 17 can't happen until the next CBA. 

I think the intention is that it will be 8 home, 8 away, 1 neutral from day 1, is it not? It'll be a mix of international and non-NFL US cities.

Saw a suggestion that AFC/NFC would alternate years having an extra home game, which would make sense at it would mean no team gets an advantage over a divisional or wildcard rival.

Also I saw that, while they are reducing preseason by one game, they still have to have a bye week between the last preseason match and week one, meaning the season must start a week earlier or finish a week later.

Always thought it made sense to start during Labor Day weekend, anyway, be cool if it could be like Thanksgiving week, with loads of televised games to watch. I hope they don't move it back a week instead, as that would move the Super Bowl to potentially clash with Valentine's Day which could cause some arguments for those of you who aren't permanently single!