NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

Is anyone aware of an NFL board game, dice / strategy type thing? 

Always struck me as being the type of sport which would lend itself to strategy card games but never actually came across anything. Google search takes you back to the 70s and 80s but wondered if there was anything more recent? 

A guy at work was telling me about a Games Workshop game called Bloodbowl. Anyone played that? 

Always struck me as being the type of sport which would lend itself to strategy card games but never actually came across anything. Google search takes you back to the 70s and 80s but wondered if there was anything more recent? 
A guy at work was telling me about a Games Workshop game called Bloodbowl. Anyone played that? 
Blood Bowl is an excellent game which I would generally describe as like American football but with monsters. It's not really the same rules wise in terms of, say, having x number of downs to get x distance. But the game takes its inspiration and its aesthetics from the NFL - the first version came out in the '80s a couple of years after the sport reached UK TV.

To put it simply you're trying to score TDs (of course), perhaps by trying to get your big guys to mete out extreme violence to make holes in the D for your nippy players to exploit, or getting a catcher in behind the defence and chucking the ball at him. Failing that you might just win the war of attrition and one of the last players standing can skip past the bodies into the endzone.

Understanding the strengths and weaknesses of your team (and ideally those of your opponent) is key, you need to plan strategically and make decisions on the balance of probabilities. But it's a dice game, which gives it that sport-like feeling that on the day, anything can happen - the best laid plans can unravel really quickly when your star catcher unexpectedly drops an easy one...

As with all GW stuff, the background is really well developed in terms of the "history" of the sport, the famous teams and star players etc (if you like that sort of thing!)

The main game box comes with human and orc teams, but there are many other teams (and star players) you can add if desired...though it does start to get quite expensive...!

We used to play Bloodbowl a lot in the 80's. It came out not long after we all got into role-play and the NFL.

We also "made up" a game using a lot of the BB rules but more of an NFL type game - took out the violence, played downs etc. We even drew out a pitch with hashes on the back of a rug and kept all the stats!

8 minutes ago, Mr X said:

We used to play Bloodbowl a lot in the 80's. It came out not long after we all got into role-play and the NFL.

We also "made up" a game using a lot of the BB rules but more of an NFL type game - took out the violence, played downs etc. We even drew out a pitch with hashes on the back of a rug and kept all the stats!

You should get that patented! Huge gap in the market imo. 

On 03/01/2020 at 13:13, BukyOHare said:

I got a card based gamed game called Status Pro Football. Still have it somewhere. Used stats from previous season for Offence and Defence then you’d select an offensive play and targeted player then role a dice. This would result in a yardage. Mike Quick was the go to guy because he had a 99 yard TD the previous season. 

29 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

I got a card based gamed game called Status Pro Football. Still have it somewhere. Used stats from previous season for Offence and Defence then you’d select an offensive play and targeted player then role a dice. This would result in a yardage. Mike Quick was the go to guy because he had a 99 yard TD the previous season. 

Cheers mate, will try and track it down online, much appreciated. 👍

1 minute ago, peasy23 said:
1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

Last year's tbf, but I've never been convinced that the bit with Nick Mullins had been edited in any way.

I forgot about the whole bad lip reading thing for a year or two, that’s me just catching up. 😀

I've always longed for an Football Manager type game for the NFL. Would be amazing.
The guys who do Out Of The Park Baseball have merged with the guys who did Front Office Football and it's in the pipe.

Small team who've been on it for a couple years and want to do it right.

If the interface is like OOTP Baseball it will be amazing.

2 hours ago, Fife Saint said:

The guys who do Out Of The Park Baseball have merged with the guys who did Front Office Football and it's in the pipe.

Small team who've been on it for a couple years and want to do it right.

If the interface is like OOTP Baseball it will be amazing.

To be honest they've been saying it's in the pipeline for years and it's never materialised. Wont be holding my breath :lol: