NFL General Discussion

Mr. Brightside

Wouldn't know where to start...do you get different lineups like in football or is it set positions that lineup slightly different each play?
Latter is somewhat accurate. For example on a short yardage play like a 4th & 1 both sides will deploy their biggest players in terms of size. Another example is on offence teams will adjust the number of wide recievers, tight ends or running backs depending on the play being deployed.

Playing Madden NFL on PlayStation was a big help to me learning different plays and what they meant. Even then it has taken me years to have a decent understanding of penalties and having an idea of what a flag has been thrown for. Still learning though, as last week was the first I knew you couldn't get flagged for pass interference on a fake punt play. 

I work with a saints fan and he is still going on about the rams game last year.. there is an article going about in saints forums about the number one of penalties against them compared to for them this year... he believes there is a vandetta against them.

To be fair that play was ridiculous and should have been flagged

On 12/12/2019 at 21:37, GNU_Linux said:

If I was to hazard a guess the Cowboys are probably the most supported NFL team in Europe

The Cowboys (and Patriots) are the most-supported NFL teams in the US, based on viewing figures for individual games. Their recent 13-9 borefest was the most-watched US TV event in the last 9 months and the highest-viewed NFL match in over 20 years (apologies for the mangled English, and I suspect that excludes Superbowls). And they play in a division with big markets (New York, Philly, Washington) and storied franchises (as they put it). So the Cowboys get moved to MNF, TNF, SNF regularly. Plus they always play on Thanksgiving.

Looking at the late games next weekend, I'd be amazed if they weren't on again vs Philly. You might not see them after that until next season though.

I take the general point that the NFC East is over-exposed, especially when it's a dumpster fire like this year.

On ‎14‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 17:23, peasy23 said:

Still learning though, as last week was the first I knew you couldn't get flagged for pass interference on a fake punt play.

That's was a wild play though I doubt anyone knew/knows what should have happened there. I am not even sure it was ruled correctly. I dunno what the official stance was either.

22 hours ago, Mr. Brightside said:

The NFL needs to be the one to change here. Loads of folk getting dug up for taking something that is legal in multiple states is not a good look, it also doesn't make any sense.

It wouldn’t be a good look if the NFL were seen to sanction smoking dope for supposedly elite athletes. The percentage of guys who actually make it all the way to the NFL, with the average career span being about four years due to the brutal nature of the sport? Then you have someone like Gordon spunking it away for the sake of smoking some joints? Cnut can smoke as much weed as he wants when he retires, in his thirties, with his life ahead of him and zillions in the bank. FFS, even Brock Osweiler has just retired with $41 million in the bank.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

This is nonsense. The rest was word salad.

Why is it nonsense? A sporting governing body should come out and say they are sanctioning the smoking of weed by players. You think it’s nonsense that they aren’t doing it, and have the cheek to say I’m posting word salad.